Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Slap the Floor said:
Just finished first 3 episodes of Season 4 for House of Cards.

This show has completely jumped the shark. I'm really debating whether or not to continue. It's awful.

Episode 10

It's like a darker, more preposterous version of West Wing's 2162 votes.

Just saw a preview for the new season of Silicon Valley. Made me really happy.

You'll enjoy it, tduke. Just wait until the tip-to-tip efficiency scene in season 2. Had me in tears.

Yes. Ehrlich talking to the CNN reporter at the end was amazing.

physicsfactor said:
You'll enjoy it, tduke. Just wait until the tip-to-tip efficiency scene in season 2. Had me in tears.

Binged through Flaked this weekend (Netflix's new WIll Arnett thing), which was only 4 hours.

It's gotten crappy reviews, but I liked it. Basically all of the negative aspects of the reviews I've seen have been some version of "ugh I'm so tired of these privileged white male ennui shows," but that fits me to a T, so, no complaints here.

Minor spoiler but not really:

I also think a lot of reviews kind of missed the point. There are a lot of complaints about the show glorifying/apologizing for the protagonist's self-serving/manipulative "manchild" behavior, but I don't think that's the takeaway at all, if you watch it through to the end. I thought it did a good job of avoiding oversimplifying things, and that it ended in a satisfyingly dark spot, if you think about it.
Legit spoiler:

I was worried everything was going to work out happily ever after, Dennis and he would be best pals, and they'd both couple off with London and Kara, blah blah, and sure, then I think all the criticisms would have been valid. But at this point, he's (seemingly permanently) lost his wife, best friend, sponsor, store/livelihood, house, and he'll almost definitely lose his girl too when the secret comes out. I don't see how the takeaway from that is that the show is overly sympathetic to him; I think if anything, it sets you up to expect the typical troubled-and-flawed-but-lovable-bro comedy that ends happily ever after, and then goes a much darker direction. But maybe I'm giving it too much credit.

Yeah, I didn't like Season 2 as much as Season 1, but overall it's easily in my top 10 favorite shows ever.

Watching Bosch Season 2. Very good so far. Definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys crime/cop shows and has Amazon Prime.

By the way, I really appreciate the feature on Amazon that tells you the name of the actors in a scene as well as the song playing if you hover the cursor over the screen.

I've been streaming a ton of British shows recently, I somehow like their approach to TV more than most US shows these days. Definitely worth recommending are Dickensian, Happy Valley, Shetland, Thirteen, Jack Irish (not British, Australian, but they all talk funny anyway). I also like Beowulf a lot, but it's at Xena-Warrior Princess level.

(In case you weren't aware, you can stream shows directly on BBC and ITV sites, or almost any international network's site, rather than downloading torrents or watching on a sketchy 3rd party site. In Chrome, you can use a free extension like "Hola" which allows you to change your IP address location to whatever country you choose, and most of them then allow you to stream free)

I'm now envisioning DDB serving himself a spot of tea before settling down for some BBC.

Only a matter of time before he starts addressing us as 'gov-na'.

krsmith16 said:
I'm now envisioning DDB serving himself a spot of tea before settling down for some BBC.

Only a matter of time before he starts addressing us as 'gov-na'.

Not without my clotted cream and scones, ya wanker.

Should be up at 3am tonight. Not that big a fan of superhero stuff, but it was good as far as that goes. I'll probably burn through it in two days.

rome8180 said:
I always assumed deepdark was a farmer, based on his posting schedule.

I did a bit of farming early on, but moved on to wholesale buying and distribution as a more lucrative path.

deepdarkblue said:
rome8180 said:
I always assumed deepdark was a farmer, based on his posting schedule.

I did a bit of farming early on, but moved on to wholesale buying and distribution as a more lucrative path.

Hahaha. Deepdarkjailcell.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom