Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Season 3 of Fargo ended poorly and was easily my least favorite. The bridge player all of the sudden turns into Jason Bourne the last couple of episodes?

Looking back on Fargo, for as much as I enjoyed Nikki Swango's character I agree with Physics. She goes from low level convict on parole to master 4D chess chess player over the course of maybe 6 months or so?

They can only do one more season of Fargo before it loses its very long leash for being so artsy that it has to be good even if you don't like it.

Better Call Saul was officially picked up for season four. I think three more seasons is reasonable.

Fargo might have been the greatest show ever, if they'd stopped after one season. True Detective would be a close second.

I still say this season was better than Season 2. Better villain, no stupid UFO, no belatedly introduced stuff about the treatment of Native Americans. More interesting themes and richer psychology. The Nikki stuff didn't seem that hard to believe, or maybe I just didn't care because it was fun. I did feel like they established that potential in her though, and it was Ray's "murder" that flipped the switch.

Also, I am not sure how Fargo qualifies as arsty. Pretty narrow definition of non-artsy is required to reach that conclusion. Nothing on television is artsy, but Twin Peaks, Legion, Louie, and a few other things are more so than Fargo.

I guess what rubs me the wrong way about that post is the subtext: that liking something artsy is an affectation.

Fargo is certainly "prestige" television, based on what people who enjoy prestige television think about it. So that would have been a better word to use than "artsy." Prestige shows generally get a much longer leash than other shows by their audiences, such that when the public in general doesn't find a particular episode enjoyable, the prestige audiences will still enjoy the episode on a deeper level.

Examples are "The Fly" in Breaking Bad and the episode of Fargo this season with the cartoon and no plot advancement. Once you get to the point with a prestige show where there is a string of episodes that even the prestige audience doesn't enjoy anymore, it is done. I think Fargo will hit that point next season. Homeland hit that point within 2 seasons. Dexter blew past that point and kept going almost as an ironic comedy.

I would like to see the reaction to a Game of Thrones episode where the entire 50-60 minutes is Jon Snow and Cersei in one room at a table having tea and having a profound discussion of war, life, power, etc., in all symbolic terms. A good portion of the audience will say it is the best GoT episode ever. The majority will hate it no matter how brilliant it is.

Yeah, I liked season 2 of Fargo a lot, but the UFO thing was as pointless as the random guy in the bar in LA and the bowling alley in season 3. Just a huge WTF?

The guy in the bowling alley felt straight out of the Coens to me. Obviously comparable to the Big Lebowski, but also to their many other "sages who explain things to the characters." I didn't love that scene by any means. For a minute I thought maybe all the character who passed through the Bowling Alley had actually died and were in limbo. I am sure there's an elaborate fan theory about this somewhere.

rome8180 said:
The guy in the bowling alley felt straight out of the Coens to me. Obviously comparable to the Big Lebowski, but also to their many other "sages who explain things to the characters." I didn't love that scene by any means. For a minute I thought maybe all the character who passed through the Bowling Alley had actually died and were in limbo. I am sure there's an elaborate fan theory about this somewhere.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking about their other stuff, and it's not a device we'd really seen to this point in Fargo. Plus, I've just watched about 30 episodes of Twin Peaks, and "the guy in the bowling alley" (along with everyone else in the show) has spent a lot of time saying surrealistic, random shit.

This is weird to say, considering I was nearly commissioned to write a book on Twin Peaks, but I don't think I want to watch the new one. David Lynch maybe needs SOME studio pressure to rein him in. Also, I kind of checked out on him after watching that absolute shitfest, Inland Empire. Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, and the first version of Twin Peaks are enjoyable in their weirdness. Inland Empire felt like a parody of a student art film.

rome8180 said:
This is weird to say, considering I was nearly commissioned to write a book on Twin Peaks, but I don't think I want to watch the new one. David Lynch maybe needs SOME studio pressure to rein him in. Also, I kind of checked out on him after watching that absolute shitfest, Inland Empire. Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, and the first version of Twin Peaks are enjoyable in their weirdness. Inland Empire felt like a parody of a student art film.

Nah, the new episodes are phenomenal. You should watch. Feels like he's combined the weirdness of the original series/FWWM, Mulholland Drive, and Eraserhead.

Watching the Amelia Earhart special on History channel. If you believe the theory of this show she died a Japanese POW.

Four episodes in, Big Little Lies is perfection. Shares elements with The Affair, but it's more of an ensemble piece and the writing is much better. I'm glad that it's a miniseries so it won't be ruined.

Still no Emmy nominations for Carrie Coon, which is stupid.

Correction: I can't read and she actually DID get one, which is awesome.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom