Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Travel

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
New Zealand is cool. Mix of whites, Asians, hapas and weird animals. The night sky is amazing, gets me every time I'm in the southern hemisphere.
Shocked how many Asians are here though it totally makes sense. Feel right at home or do I?

rhfarmer said:
bdotling said:
rhfarmer said:
Just bought tickets to Bali...
nice, when are you going? was there for my brother-in-law's wedding

Oct 7th-24th
Oh it won't be as deathly hot as when I went. I'm not a huge fan of Asian beach area/islands, but Bali is one of the better ones I have been to. I heard there are some awesome ones in the Phillipines

rome8180 said:
How did they feel about fake Asians there?
Seem welcoming, we will see. I watched the Hobbit on the plane ride over to prepare, but we are just in Auckland now, which is reminds me of SF. Road trip down starts tomorrow.

bdotling said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
New Zealand is cool. Mix of whites, Asians, hapas and weird animals. The night sky is amazing, gets me every time I'm in the southern hemisphere.
Shocked how many Asians are here though it totally makes sense. Feel right at home or do I?
Australia and New Zealand had very very friendly open immigration policies back in the 80s. Huge number of Chinese from Hong Kong settled there before the handover back to China in '97. Lot of good universities that do twinning programs (1 or 2 years in home country, then finish in Oz/NZ) as well.

Have fun in NZ. Where will you be spending more of your time? South or North Island? I've got a good friend down there who runs an adventure travel company. If you've got the time and money, drop me a PM and I'll send you his number. He's based in Christchurch.

October's a nice time to go to Southeast Asia. Not as hot (relative term, of course - you'll still be talking about temps at least in the 90s with high humidity), and before the monsoon season, too.

On a far more mundane note, we flew up from RDU to Minneapolis yesterday. You know, I understand completely why the FAA would now require proof of birth/age for infants traveling on parents' laps, but you would think that during the course of making my reservation, then calling up to confirm a couple of things, including calling the day before leaving, the airline ticketing agent in talking to me about infant travel might perhaps have gently said something like "And don't forget to bring along proof of age....." That was quite a bit of a pain in the ass yesterday morning. Ah well, my fault for not reading the fine print, I guess.

Lol, I was up north where they built the movie set for where the hobbits live. Saw where Bilbo Baggins lives. It's crazy some of the backdrop Peter Jackson had built over two years is in the movie for a total of 14 seconds. He imported an oak tree they they had to put back together and then hired a bunch of college kids to sew on 250,000 fake leaves to make it look alive...in the movie for about 4 seconds.

Visited Lake Itasca, the headwaters of the Mississippi yesterday. Hardly the mighty Mississippi up there. Pretty neat to check out. Today, Bemidji and Paul Bunyan's statue.

Just came back from sky diving in Queestown. Holy shit was it beautiful, will probably never do that again but glad I did it out here

bdotling said:
Just came back from sky diving in Queestown. Holy shit was it beautiful, will probably never do that again but glad I did it out here
Nice. I have zero interest in skydiving, but I'm sure it's enjoyable and probably worth trying once.

Did they capture video of your dive? Do we get to see you shit your pants before stepping out of the plane?

Depending on how old I am when I retire, I plan on getting certified and skydiving all the time when I have all day/all week to do it. I've been three times, and it's amazing. But I might just like it because of the man strapped to my backside.

He was strapped so tighly to my backside, I was snug as a bug. I got the photos rather than video, I am probably the least unphotogenic skydiver ever. It was like a vacuum tube being blown into my cheeks, next time it would be better to wear a helmet to block the wind. Also my pitcher kept twirling the parachute as we came down, got a little nauseous from that, but I landed smoothly as ever.

bdotling said:
He was strapped so tighly to my backside, I was snug as a bug. I got the photos rather than video, I am probably the least unphotogenic skydiver ever. It was like a vacuum tube being blown into my cheeks, next time it would be better to wear a helmet to block the wind. Also my pitcher kept twirling the parachute as we came down, got a little nauseous from that, but I landed smoothly as ever.
:lol:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom