Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Tre Jones

Being an active defender that gets a good deal of steals is the only thing that matters when 99% of people evaluate defensive value.
Yep. People constantly overrate Patrick Beverly-style on-ball defense. Personally, I think Cam Reddish and Jayson Tatum were both more fundamentally sound defenders while at Duke. But I doubt you could find many people in the fanbase or the media who would agree.

In Duke's defensive system it's hard to fairly compare Reddish and Tatum to what Tre Jones is doing. Jones is guarding the ball 94 feet and is spearheading the defensive attack. In the half-court he's being asked to dog the ball without much help defense behind him. Reddish was a great defender at Duke, but he's not carrying the same responsibilities as Jones is, and he's not being asked to do as much.

Jones is a fantastic defender and is one of the best Duke has had at PG in a long time. I think the defensive mishaps which are primarily a result of scheme cloud people's judgement on him. There's other elements to it too, such as we are getting later in the season he's probably wearing down because of the incredible workload required of him on both ends of the floor. The scheme leaves him out to dry a lot of the time. Guarding the basketball 1v1 is the absolute hardest thing to do defensively and he's asked to pressure it the full length of the floor for essentially 40 minutes every game, and he does so with a lack of help on the back-side.

The scheme helps him generate more steals, but it's also the root of people's frustrations in his defense because when you visualize him being blown by, I don't think in that moment it registers for most people how difficult his job is defensively. For the most part he does a great job pressuring the ball and doing what is asked of him with in Duke's defensive system.

If you put him in UVA's defensive system, he would be an absolute monster defensively and never/rarely get blown by because the scheme is different.

By no means am I intending to blame Tre for what happened at Wake, but his play lately has straddled the line between asset and liability to pretty extreme degree, at least to my eyes.

I mean - is he going to return next year? I kinda think he's gonna return.

I'm not sure Roach would decomitt?

Last edited:
He plays so well until crunch time, then he either craters or shines. No passing whatsoever either way.

He plays so well until crunch time, then he either craters or shines. No passing whatsoever either way.

He's smart! If you were him would you trust any of the rest of these fuckers with the ball to make a free throw or not turn it over?

He’s not that good. Can’t wait for him to bail on this team and get drafted in the 2nd round. So fucking predictable irt duke basketball. I miss Tyus so much.

He’s not that good. Can’t wait for him to bail on this team and get drafted in the 2nd round. So fucking predictable irt duke basketball. I miss Tyus so much.

Tbh I think he's the glue to the team and that he's one of the nation's best point guards. He's made big improvements from last season, most notably becoming a 37% 3pt shooter. I think it's easy to criticize him because his usage is high and he makes some bad mistakes, but him and Carey are the only reasons this team isn't a complete disaster. The supporting cast has been disappointing and the coaching hasn't been good either.

We wouldn't make the NCAA Tournament without Tre Jones on this team, IMO.

Lol if he wins this award while Justise and Wendell didn't. I guess all you have to do to be a candidate is waste a lot of effort and have Bilas rave about you.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom