Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

Lonzo Ball shot 36% in his senior year of HS, per his maxpreps page. I wish we had larger sample size stats for Duval. The guy will just need to be a battering ram on offense and work on his FT shooting. Poor FT shooting with not-enormous hands is inexcusable. Pray for 70%+.

It'd be nice if we'd just play bully ball with Trey, Knox, Carter, and Bamba as dominant physical specimen. Roy or Cal could make a lineup like that work, with basically no shooters and a bunch of size. But I don't see K even trying it.

We may want to consider Emmitt Williams, #5 in the Duval video, if one of our 2018 man-children doesn't pan out. Total beast.

Count me out as giving that much of a shit if Duval's shooting really is that poor. John Wall is as good a prototype for that kind of player as you'll ever see in college, and he couldn't get to the FF on a team with DeMarcus Cousins.

Would rather just run Frank at PG. Or maybe brainwash Tre Jones into signing and enrolling a year early.

Is he a plus defender from day one? K can turn a pile of puke into a top 10 offense so i might be okay with everything if this kid makes a credible defensive impact, even though I think PG defense is the least import position.

DurhamSon said:
Count me out as giving that much of a shit if Duval's shooting really is that poor. John Wall is as good a prototype for that kind of player as you'll ever see in college, and he couldn't get to the FF on a team with DeMarcus Cousins.

Would rather just run Frank at PG. Or maybe brainwash Tre Jones into signing and enrolling a year early.

Is he a plus defender from day one? K can turn a pile of puke into a top 10 offense so i might be okay with everything if this kid makes a credible defensive impact, even though I think PG defense is the least import position.

Not sure I have ever heard anybody say this. I am curious why you think pg defense is the least important?

I would say C is the most important defensive position. If I had to pick a least important, I would pick SG.

In today's game, I'd most like to have a 6'7"-6'8" guy who is quick/long enough to bother on the perimeter, but tall/long enough to keep from being abused underneath. Ideally, with a nose for rebounds. C's are too easy to pull out, PNR or catch on a switch. With the rules to day, none but the most obscenely quick pgs are going to be able to contain even a decently quick opposing pg. I like the Winslows, Ingrams, Tatums, Jeffersons the most. Hope we get Knox for this.

One way to look at the importance of defense at certain positions is to look at the top teams in defensive efficiency in the NBA and think about which positions those teams are strong at defensively.

1. Spurs
SF Kawhi

2. Warriors
PF Draymond

3. Jazz
C Gobert

4. Hawks
?

5. Heat
C Whiteside?

6. Pelicans (tie)
C/PF Davis? Maybe PG Holiday?

6. Grizzlies (tie)
C Marc, SG Tony Allen, maybe PG Conley?

8. Raptors
SF DeMarre Carroll?

9. Thunder
SF Roberson, SG Oladipo, C Adams?

10. Celtics (tie)
SF Crowder, SG Bradley

10. Pistons (tie)
SG Caldwell-Pope

Out of these teams, I think the Spurs, Warriors and Jazz at the top are clearly not dependent on point guard defense at all. The Celtics and Pistons starters at PG are terrible defensively. The rest I don't read enough about to have any good idea.

deeyoukayeee said:
With the rules to day, none but the most obscenely quick pgs are going to be able to contain even a decently quick opposing pg.

Exactly. The Gary Payton types that can prevent quick guards taking them off the dribble are just so rare today. Players' handles are much better than they were a generation ago, IMO. The best you can hope for is that when the guard gets into the lane is that you have a rim protecting PF/C to at least bother their shot or the shot of an interior teammate they pass to, or the wing that has to help or close out on whatever perimeter teammate they dish to.

I don't put much if any stock into PG defense, especially in a half-court setting. It's why I laugh when RealGM types hype up Rondo or Wall despite their terrible shooting in the playoffs.

To be fair, at the D1 level, an elite defensive PG can probably make life miserable for about 2/3''s of Duke's schedule every year. If we're talking about someone who forces sets to start in weird places or who hawks someone during a press and limits the other teams possession to about 10-15 seconds.

But yeah, now that a PG can palm the ball and take 3 steps on every drive and there's no hand checking, you just can't destroy another team with perimeter defense like '99.

You can palm the ball and take 3 steps, but don't even think about shuffling your feet the slightest amount while holding the ball on the perimeter. They really cracked down on that one this year.

Yeah, that was one of the lamest April Fools pranks ever carried out by someone older than 10.

Decision this month. No leader. All coaches are the same to him in terms of relationships.

Duke lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still really want him at Duke if he can defend reasonably and create for others. Just don't promise him jump shots off of high ball screens.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom