Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion Thread

Slap the Floor said:
UNC has more of a chance to win a title than Duke.

Duke is not repeating with a completely different nucleus on next season's roster.

That's fine for you to post that. There's no dukiesrock25 here who is going to bust your balls. You won't get a reaction out of a generic post like this here.

But for fucks sake, quit acting like you are arguing with a bunch of 'duke homers' when you post something fucking stupid like UNC is the 'probable' title winner. This isn't a board full of TDD idiots. We easily recognize non sensical statements that fly in the odds of statistical reasoning and will call out this shit. This is the most objective Duke board on the internet and you aren't going to bait it with bullshit.

DurhamSon said:
Slap the Floor said:

Duke is not repeating with a completely different nucleus on next season's roster.

That's fine for you to post that. There's no dukiesrock25 here who is going to bust your balls. You won't get a reaction out of a generic post like this here.

But for fucks sake, quit acting like you are arguing with a bunch of 'duke homers' when you post something fucking stupid like UNC is the 'probable' title winner. This isn't a board full of TDD idiots. We easily recognize non sensical statements that fly in the odds of statistical reasoning and will call out this shit. This is the most objective Duke board on the internet and you aren't going to bait it with bullshit.

Either Slap is baiting or legitimately does not understand the meaning of "probable." There's no other option. Neither are good but I guess the latter is more excusable.

BTW, I agree UNC is more likely to win the title than Duke. But by posting that as your new argument you've simply moved the goalposts.

Statements of absolute certainty about the future are silly.

I admit I make them all the time. But they're still silly.

Thain said:
Slap the Floor said:

Doesn't this describe last years Duke team though? I mean you are putting your faith in a team that lost 12 games last year. They are being hyped because college bball is supposed to be down. Duke may take a minute to figure things out but the talent they will have is every bit as good as UNC. Even if Duke doesn't have the talent to overtake UNC, Maryland is set up to be better than them.

The only two teams to repeat since UCLA were 91-92 Duke, and 06-07 Florida. Both teams returned the nucleus of their team after winning the first. We are losing our 4 best players. If we win the title, making it Duke and Coach K's 6th, he would be, in my opinion, the greatest college basketball coach ever without a doubt. I would be shocked if we win it all next season. If we were 32-2 and won the ACC I would heading into the tournament I would still be surprised if we won it all, just based on how no one has repeated with a different core, since UCLA, and UCLA didn't even have much roster turnover considering players stayed four years. Repeating is so difficult as it is, repeating with an entirely different roster makeup would be one of the greater accomplishments college basketball has ever seen.

I don't think anyone here would say it's likely that we win it all. I also doubt most feel that next year's team will be close to as good as last year's. It's not outside of the realm of possibility, though, and that isn't even counting in things like devastating injuries to our main competition or a particularly favorable bracket.

My "realist" prediction is that we'll be a Sweet Sixteen team. I'd put Carolina in the Elite Eight. In the end, I don't see their shooting or defense improving enough to win it all. But I also don't see there being a lot of good teams, so they definitely have a shot.

It's unlikely that I can flip a coin and have it land on heads 5 times in a row, but the odds of each individual flip are independent of each other. Yes, it's difficult to repeat as champs, but Duke's chances of winning it all next year have nothing to do with this past season's outcome.

IIRC UNC shot really well from 3 in the final 10 games or something. They just didn't take enough of them.

'Kids come to school with that dream, whether it’s Harrison Barnes or J.P. Tokoto, you want to do everything you can for North Carolina, for your team.'

Surprised he didn't add '...for 'ol Roy.'

Rejoinder: That dream quickly begins to slip away as they are misused/underplayed due to the incompetence of their coach. They are beginning to realize that earlier these days, and starting to ignore the council of said coach, who own selfish interests are now common knowledge in the greater basketball community.

Duke has a greater chance to win the national title this season than UNC, apparently. Not surprising, given the type of people who would say otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
IC premo after the Tatum commitment was fun.

A lot of them are in despair. But some of them still think they are missing out on recruits because they run a clean program with kids of high character.

It's seemed pretty apparent that Tatum was going to Duke for months and months, I can't believe that any UNC fan truly thought Tatum would commit there. Is it more that they're disappointed that Duke landed someone, or that they truly believed they has a chance? The only non-Duke bits of info had SLU as a possibility, not UNC or UK.

I don't think any of them thought Tatum was going to UNC. They're just sick of Duke landing top 5 prospects.

That's what I figured. I had a breakdown in November 2010 when I started thinking about UNC's length 2-5 with Bullock, Barnes, Henson, and Zeller. But it's much worse for UNC fans as K has delivered.

And before ginge Nukem comes in and ruins it, the length I was referring to in my previous post was indeed referencing penis size.

skins said:
And before ginge Nukem comes in and ruins it, the length I was referring to in my previous post was indeed referencing penis size.
I tend to only skim this thread, but I'm glad you got to it before I noticed.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom