Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Vernon Carey, Jr.

Who even is his NBA comp? Powerful, PF-sized guy who's pretty skilled offensively, but not that long or athletic, can't defend, not a great rebounder.

All of the somewhat close players I can think of are either:
1) shooters like Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye
2) guys with names like Vulvacic who willed themselves into being good rebounders and defenders to avoid returning to Croatian poverty
3) playing in Europe
4) in their 50s

Randolph/Cousins/David West all have 4+" in length on him and are not really comparable, IMO. Really, pretty much any successful power post player I can think of has a significantly longer wingspan than he does.

I just watched a few youtube highlight vids, and he's not the giant blob of a low post player I was expecting. He's got a decent looking jumper (I know everyone does in highlights) and was surprisingly agile with dribble moves (probably won't work in college though). Almost all of the highlights were him working from the perimeter and not posting up. I don't know that he would be a complete offensive efficiency killer. That being said, I still don't see how he works in K/Duke's defense and would much prefer Stewart for this reason alone.

2019-20 = zone year.

That said, having a big that can shoot threes better than DeLaurier / Bolden is not a bad thing. Maybe he can top Jack White's illustrious 31% on corner threes.

I also saw like 10-15 total seconds worth of highlights at some point and had the same reaction as physicsfactor. Not just a fat POS UNC-type true center. Still, probably a not-so-enjoyable season ahead, given what the coaches typically do with guys like this.

2019-20 = zone year.

That said, having a big that can shoot threes better than DeLaurier / Bolden is not a bad thing. Maybe he can top Jack White's illustrious 31% on corner threes.
I'm willing to lay down money that White will be a more valuable player overall. I'll also bet you he finishes this season a lot higher than 31%. He hit like 85 out of 100 threes to win a shooting drill in practice.

2019-20 = zone year.

Seems so likely.

2-3 with Carey in middle, Jack (or Javin) on wing and Moore on other wing. AOC and someone up top; Moore can likely play in multiple areas.

This video has some good stuff in it starting at the 2:00 mark. I wouldn't call him quick-footed, but he's also like 270 pounds. The positive thing I took away from it was his passing. He's most similar to Jabari to me of the guys we've had, but maybe he'll be better at making plays for others than Jabari was, and probably not the (admittedly awesome college) rebounder Jabari was. Probably equal on defense, e.g. not great.

Last edited:
I think he looks like Wendell. If so, I think we'll be in fine shape if we have Jones or Edwards on the roster.

Jones, AOC, Moore, White, Carey is a top 5 team. Edwards, AOC, Moore, White, Carey is probably a top 10-12 team.

Offensively, I think you could be onto something. He does remind me a little of Carter. But defensively, I highly doubt it other than not being good at guarding guards on the perimeter. If Carey is half as good as Carter defensively, everyone here will look pretty stupid as usual.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom