Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

Beal really wasn't that special in college, tbh.

Agree totally. But he didn't really have to be "that special" to be better than Austin Rivers

Beal: ORtg: 115.4. DRtg: 96.9. TS: .575. WS/40 = .180. PER: 22.0
Rivers: ORtg: 107.8. DRtg: 104.7. TS: .538. WS/40 = .124. PER: 16.9

Rivers did have slightly higher usage (25.4% vs. 23%).

Maybe a catch-and-shoot guy like Beal would have fit in better than Rivers. But we already had two of those in Seth and Dre (and even Kelly to an extent). We probably needed a ball-dominant alpha. Just not sure if it's a big deal either way, since I am not sure that that 2012 with Beal is better in any meaningful way.

It would have changed the team a lot, because Rivers was the defacto PG and primary ball-handler, though that was not a strong suit of his game. More Seth running the show, with a bit more time for Quinn at PG (whose assist/TO numbers as a freshman were awesome, which I'd forgotten).

You're right that Beal was a much better version of Dawkins, so that could have created its own chemistry issues.

Sometimes I wonder what the team would have been like just without Rivers, who was 9th on the team in Net Rtg (ahead of only Hairston and Zafirovski), 9th on the team in BPM (ditto), and yet led our team in minutes, usage, FGA.

Last edited:
Seth had a chance to run the show earlier in the year and eventually got moved off ball.

Quinn should have played more as a freshman, in retrospect. I know his defense was bad, but it's not like that team was good on defense anyway. It's weird how polarizing a player Quinn was for his first three years, despite being excellent offensively in every single one.

Seth had a chance to run the show earlier in the year and eventually got moved off ball.

Quinn should have played more as a freshman, in retrospect. I know his defense was bad, but it's not like that team was good on defense anyway. It's weird how polarizing a player Quinn was for his first three years, despite being excellent offensively in every single one.[/QUOTE]

He was never a great defender, but so many of the problems were pinned on his shoulders.

That title run was such sweet vindication for QC given how well he played on both sides of the ball in the tourney.

Reactions: TBC
tenor.gif

A few nuggets from the local news:

Saturday night:

Zion said in his interview that Coach K sold him on helping Zion the brand along with the basketball player.

Tuesday night:

After he blew some team out and had at least a 360 and windmill dunks on the highlights, he said it felt like last year or sophomore year again by just getting to focus on basketball again, that once he put that Duke hat on it lifted what had felt like the weight of the world off of his shoulders. At one point he had none of his team on the line when he was shooting free throws and he had some fun after making the first free throw by high fiving and dapping the air.

Last edited:
After seeing that video, Zion may be my favorite player next year. I just assumed he'd be cocky as hell with all of the attention he's received over the last year or two.

I only live about 20 minutes from Spartanburg Day School if some hater S. Car or Clemson fans want to come off of their tickets then I'd be glad to take them off their hands.

Would be pretty difficult to top the level of excitement this team has but I think next years may top it.

I only live about 20 minutes from Spartanburg Day School if some hater S. Car or Clemson fans want to come off of their tickets then I'd be glad to take them off their hands.

"My mom sacrificed a lot for me to make my decision" = He turned down the upfront Clemson payment in favor of Duke.
Smart move, don't settle for a little short term profit, play the long game.

I am pretty excited about him now, but only if K relaxes his ban on fancy in-game dunks. He's relaxes his stance on hair and tattoos. Needs to come around on this.

I mean, the best ones we've had are just driving, elevating, and dunking on people, like the Hendersons (Phil and Gerald, not David) and Dahntay did. Zion could be pretty fucking fantastic at that. I dgaf about open 360s, really.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom