Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Bball Alumni

Listening to this, I'm kind of pissed on Redick's behalf actually. What did Barnes provide that Redick wouldn't have done better? And this was his last chance. He's going to go through his career never having won a championship of any kind, and it's all going to be bad luck or bullshit like ths.

Despite JJ's ability to actually contribute and the zero impact that the last roster spot provided, the backlash would have been immense. Undersized white guy from Duke that was hated while in college... picked by former college coach to be "given" a gold medal.

But, Coach K, did it really have to be Barnes for that last spot. Why?

Why not for this particular roster? Their main weakness was shooting.

I don't think the backlash would have been that great, though that may be what K was worried about. Apparently K was the sole voice of resistance to putting Mason on the World Cup team for that reason. Anyway, JJ is clearly more qualified than Mason was and I don't think he's hated like he was in college. He's pretty universally respected at this point, except by UNC fans, who will never like anything K or Duke does anyway.

rome8180 said:
Why not for this particular roster? Their main weakness was shooting.

I don't think the backlash would have been that great, though that may be what K was worried about. Apparently K was the sole voice of resistance to putting Mason on the World Cup team for that reason. Anyway, JJ is clearly more qualified than Mason was and I don't think he's hated like he was in college. He's pretty universally respected at this point, except by UNC fans, who will never like anything K or Duke does anyway.

I think that if JJ had been involved in the Olympic process for the last 8 years or so, he would have been on this team. JJ's strengths--shooting, court awareness, team defense--would have been very welcome on this team. However, I don't see this particular team as a good fit because the primary ball handlers were also the primary scorers. JJ is great with set plays, running off curls and some fast break 3's, but I just didn't see any emphasis on ball movement, the extra pass, etc, on this team. I think that was primarily due to the roster construction and the rotations and really, how K let's guys just shoot the ball whenever they want.

Honestly, I think if the NBA was still all US players, Team USA would be the regular season champion or the finals champion and those true teams would murder international teams because a guy like JJ, who is an invaluable role player on a great team, gets overlooked in the process the way it's constructed now.

Speaking of JJ, here's his latest podcast with Blake Griffin. After listening to this, I'm convinced that if Duke Forum had to pick one NBA roster to add to our member list, it would be the Clippers. Between Redick, Jordan, Crawford, Griffin, and Rivers, they must have the highest collective IQ of any team. Granted, Chris Paul is an idiot (while being a basketball genius).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vertical-p ... 01881.html

Yeah, Nolan & Quinn were pretty good guests. Enjoyed hearing about the DC area HS basketball scene

That was cool. Also, I've never heard of that show, being a rube from NC, but they get incredible guests.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom