Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

This is what I get for posting with a bunch of atheists and Jews. No one knows when Jesus's birthday was.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Christmas is normally later in December, though.

Rogue One will still be the big Christmas movie.

One of the two or three movies I'm most excited to see. First, it's from A24, who consistently does awesome work. Second, it's got Cottonmouth from Luke Cage and Dr. Edwards from The Knick. Both great actors. Third, the cinematography, score, writing, and acting all look exceptional. Fourth, it's about an interesting and under-explored subject and it seems to be done in a non-pandering way. And lastly, it's getting incredible reviews, including from my favorite online critic.

Out in limited release tomorrow, which of course means that I won't get to see it in theaters, since it won't be out for several more weeks in Philly or Durham and I'll be back in Wilkes-Barre by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I am liking Luke Cage, I am having a difficult time getting used to his Cottonmouth character after seeing him in as Remy in House of Cards.

Is he a completely different character? I've never seen it, but he's a very versatile actor.

rome8180 said:
Is he a completely different character? I've never seen it, but he's a very versatile actor.

My immediate response to your question was "yes", but then I think about the child Cottonmouth who is introduced later in the show. In case you haven't gotten that far

We see the teen Cottonmouth as a sensitive, intelligent, talented kid who is forced into murdering his own uncle - who was a surrogate father - pushing him into a lifetime of crime. He was never given a chance to be anything other than a criminal. I

n a different scenario, young Cottonmouth could have gotten out of Harlem, gone to college, and become someone like Remy in House of Cards.

rome, I STRONGLY recommend you watch the first season of House of Cards. After the first season, I feel like the show starts rolling downhill and then falls off a cliff but that first season was brilliant (Kevin Spacey's Colonel Sanders-ish Southern accent notwithstanding). Season two was just ok to me, season three flat sucked. I quit watching at that point. But season one? Excellent.

I could definitely see where young Cottonmouth could grow up into a Remy type character. Rome I do agree with ddb. You should absolutely watch at least the first season of House of Cards.

I just didn't know if I was going to enjoy watching a show with a detestable protagonist. And I admit the accent was a turnoff in the first 10 minutes or so that I watched. Also, my roommate loved it and his tastes are terrible.

I'll give it a go, though, for sure. Enough people here are into it that I imagine I'll like it.

Interesting tidbit, the show's creator, Beau Willimon, was at one point roommates with Hillary's press secretary, Jay Carson, during her 2008 run and wrote the Ides of March based off of him before putting this show together, for which Jay was an adviser. This is where Jay met Sarah Treem, who was a writer and producer of the show. Anyway they got married, and Sarah left House of Cards and went off to create The Affair.

ETA: I only know this because one of my co-workers went to Yale with Sarah and had her and Jay come to a work offsite to speak to our group. It was super fascinating hearing all their stories.

Donald Glover has been cast as young Lando in the 2018 Han Solo movie. Star Wars nails every casting. I can't wait.

bdotling said:
Interesting tidbit, the show's creator, Beau Willimon, was at one point roommates with Hillary's press secretary, Jay Carson, during her 2008 run and wrote the Ides of March based off of him before putting this show together, for which Jay was an adviser. This is where Jay met Sarah Treem, who was a writer and producer of the show. Anyway they got married, and Sarah left House of Cards and went off to create The Affair.

ETA: I only know this because one of my co-workers went to Yale with Sarah and had her and Jay come to a work offsite to speak to our group. It was super fascinating hearing all their stories.

Interesting. Sarah was a friend of my ex-girlfriend. I believe she lived in Durham as a kid.

Will Willimon is a Methodist pastor and professor at Duke. He's Beau's uncle.

What's with the rash of patriotic action movies? Trump related?

Hacksaw Ridge looks like exactly the sort of movie I hate. Critics and audiences seem to absolutely love it though.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Doctor Strange holding strong at 92% on RottenTomatoes. 12/12 good top critic reviews. Will pay to see.

Really, really liked it. Visually it's crazy. One of the few movies I'd actually recommend seeing in 3D, it was worth the extra couple dollars. Probably top 5 favorite Marvel movie.

I was a little disappointed by Doctor Strange. Well acted, intriguing background of how he came to be, reminded me a lot of Batman Begins in good ways. But several jokes fell extremely flat. Awkwardly flat. Like everyone in the theater was thinking, "it has been so good aside from this joke - should I laugh merely out of respect for the rest of the movie?" And the superhero-ness got so crazy by the end that they could've had him doing anything with his powers and it wouldn't have been surprising. This was a common criticism of Thor in the context of the Avengers - he could've easily beaten any villain and was so much stronger than the rest of them. There's obviously a lot of suspension of disbelief required in any Marvel movie, and Doctor Strange pushes this to the point where it's kind of boring.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom