Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Tre Jones

I dogged him hard tonight. That intentional FT miss might be the best execution of that play that I've ever seen though.
This was probably even better, given how easy the shot afterward ended up being. Happened less than two weeks ago, too. And was also the culmination of an epic comeback (down 14 with 2 minutes left). And like tonight, the team making the comeback won in OT on their opponents' court.

From the closing minutes to regulation through the first 5 points he scored in OT, Tre Jones scored 15 straight points for Duke. He is also the first player to score at least 28 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists in the Duke-UNC rivalry since Michael Jordan did it.

Incredible.

My worry is that he will remember this game in the 2nd round and lose a tourney game playing hero ball

By my count, 4 total last possession shots attempted by Duke this season (not counting attempted putbacks off misses). All four times it's been Jones- end of regulation and end of OT versus both SFA and UNC.

One enormous make, and that was the only one that was obviously not a set play. Three pretty bad misses off the set plays but luckily the last one was so gross that it was effectively a pass to Moore. Maybe K (or better, Scheyer) could design some non-ass end of game plays? I mean, on one of the SFA plays, K just drew a dick on the whiteboard

Didn’t he hit the Kansas game winner? That might not have been the game winner but it was definitely late in the game

Didn’t he hit the Kansas game winner? That might not have been the game winner but it was definitely late in the game
It put Duke up 3 with 1:30 left. A big shot, but nothing like the potentially final possession of a game. Also, Tre’s shot vs KU was still a bad shot where Duke got a lucky bounce.

From the yahoo article @aiw posted

• Jones took 25 shots on Saturday. He took nine from 15 feet away or farther. That was the only one of the nine that he made.

Is it even fair to call this guy a great defender at this point? I read somewhere that all but three of the point guards we've played have exceeded their season averages. The few steals he gets a game don't offset all the times he gets blown by.

Granted, K can make any defender look worse than they are.

Being an active defender that gets a good deal of steals is the only thing that matters when 99% of people evaluate defensive value.

Being an active defender that gets a good deal of steals is the only thing that matters when 99% of people evaluate defensive value.
Yep. People constantly overrate Patrick Beverly-style on-ball defense. Personally, I think Cam Reddish and Jayson Tatum were both more fundamentally sound defenders while at Duke. But I doubt you could find many people in the fanbase or the media who would agree.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks it's because he feels like he has to save himself from offense since it's only him and Tank who can score
I agree that this has made him worse as an on-ball defender. But ultimately he was probably always overvalued for the reasons Zack mentioned.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom