Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2021-2022

How far will this team go?

• National Champions/Final Four

• Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen

• 2nd Round/1st Round

• NIT or worse

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also worth noting that Manek is up to almost nine attempts a game in the tournament. That difference is significant. I doubt there are more than a few dozen players in all of CBB taking that many three-point attempts, and maybe under 10 at his position. They probably all play for mid-majors besides him.

The fact that he's shooting 44.4% on those 8.5 attempts is ludicrous.

I don’t know much, but I do know that Brady Fucking Manek is not some sort of Pistol Pete-class offensive problem that cannot be solved. There’s an answer out there somewhere. The only question is whether someone finds it in time.

Last edited:
I wish we could clone Dell. I don't think he's a perfect defender by any means. But I think he's the player we have who's most capable of just face-hugging Manek for an entire game. Unfortunately, we need him on one of UNC's guards.

I mean, if it comes to it, play 5-on-4 on everyone else and put UNC’s fate entirely on Manek’s shoulders.

I’d assume Manek is the priority to stop over Bacot and Love right? Curious what we think Ks gameplan will be.

We have to master our ball screen coverage in practice this week. There can’t be any hesitation or confusion about responsibilities come Saturday night like we had some of those possessions against Michigan State.

Like pf was saying, I think the move is to put a shorter, more agile wing on Manek (like AJ, as he said) in a no help situation, try to hide Banchero on Leaky and tell him that he needs to help tag Bacot on the dive while also knowing that he can close out short on Leaky (don’t close out so hard you give an easy waltz to the rim), guards go over top of the screen with Mark having high, active hands until the guards recover and he can get back to Bacot. We live from there. Everyone(!!!) has to be ready to defend simultaneous ball screen action. If they don’t get what they want from their first screen, I would expect them to turn around and re-screen, so we can’t let our guard down once we defend one and think the job is done.

I’m just thinking aloud here. I think the important part is to emphasize that Leaky’s defender can roam some. Force Leaky to be a decision maker which I don’t think he’s comfortable with. He doesn’t seem the type to get the ball and make an assertive, immediate decision, rather he gets it and takes a minute to do something, which would allow us to get reset on defense. My only problem here is I don’t like giving Paolo the freedom to make the decision on when and how much to help away from Leaky.

It’s not like Manek moves that well off the ball. He makes a bunch of basic catch-and-shoot 3s. AJ can guard Manek just fine. Your coaching has to make it crystal clear that he is an absolute NO HELP player. You help off Leaky. You keep Love and Davis in front of you and deal with stepback 3s going in.
I think Manek is a good-enough cutter along the baseline even if he's not that quick. He gets layups and dunks cutting in from the corners. IMO, whoever is guarding him should guard to force him away from the baseline and into the middle area.

Idk if Hubert Davis is a coaching savant or if he's gotten Kevin Ollie lucky this season. Caleb Love and RJ Davis have been unfucking real in the NCAA Tournament. I mean, this is the stuff of legends- Davis 30 against Baylor. Love 30 against UCLA including 25 in the second half. Love 28 versus Duke. Davis and Love wouldn't be doing this under Roy, that's for certain. Davis has modernized their offense and given those two guards the freedom, but this run of these 2 guys is ridiculous.

UNC’s success over the last 7 years, making it to Monday night 3 goddamn times, has made them feel so much worse than they would have otherwise. Hopefully they’ve used up every last drop of good luck for a decade plus after this run, and have fully cancelled out the bad luck from the Dean/Gut eras, where they only won 2 titles in 13 FF appearances.

It's not that different from UConn's run of 3 titles in 10 years, including the last one by a first year coach. (Assuming they win it all on Monday).

Is it crazy I still think they’re more like a 3 or 4 seed? They were never going to hold teams to 26% from three on high volume forever. There’s probably 5 to 10 college teams a year who would win a championship doing that, and 30 NBA teams, and if it were the result of an actual actionable strategy would have made Hubert the most valuable coach on Earth in any sport at any level

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom