Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2018-19] Virginia, at Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, at Notre Dame, St. John's

Zion had higher usage than RJ today (29 to 28). Efficiency 172 to 102.

I wonder if this is the first game where he's edged him out in usage.

It did feel like they made more of a point to get him the ball in the post, which was nice, even though they weren't really running anything. And yet, 26 points on 10-12, while RJ/Cam scored 30 on 11-30. Baby steps, I guess.

Zion and Barrett playing in the middle of the zone with White and Reddish in the corners seems like it should be dominant enough to break anyone's zone. It basically forces our best five players to each get the ball where they're most effective. Hope we see a ton of that going forward.

We've played 4 straight games with less than 70 possessions after not having any in the first 16 games.

We've played 4 straight games with less than 70 possessions after not having any in the first 16 games.
I'm sure you already know this, but we've played two very slow tempo teams and two medium tempo teams. Plus, two of the teams we played don't turn the ball over.

St. John's has an extremely fast average possession length on offense (15.1 seconds, #13 in the country) while also being #5 in the country in limiting turnovers. Since teams that don't turn it over are generally going to have longer average possession length, I think St. John's must be playing as fast as any team in the country when not considering turnovers. Their extremely poor offensive rebounding helps explain this (fewer offensive boards = shorter possessions), but still, this game should be well into the 80s in possessions.

Their main lineup goes 6-1, 6-5, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, and they don't play much zone, if any, so I'd expect this to be a really entertaining game that resembles high level NBA games in that both teams should be able to get up and down and switch all five players effectively on defense. Adding to the entertainment factor is their lack of drawing fouls on offense and lack of fouling on defense. Shamorie Ponds is obviously excellent - he's everything you want in a college point guard - and it'll be fun to watch every Duke freshman take turns guarding him off screens. I don't think this is a game for Bolden, but maybe he'll prove he can be useful even against the quickest, smallest lineups in this one.

Also, Duke should crush them, so that should also be enjoyable.

rome8180: I expect St. John's to hit everything. They strike me as exactly the kind of team who only cares when their opponent is good

Superbowl.

I must have blocked out the memory last year... which shithead on last year's team killed us against SJU? Or was it just a team pants-shitting?

Last edited:
it all came back to me after pursuing the game chat. Trent hit some clutch shots to put us up, and then after some Duval bricks at the FT line, Ponds shat all over everyone:

7ZMT4nx.png

Sitting behind the St John’s basket as they nutted all over us, can confirm Bagley played defense as if it was his first game of organized basketball. The 141st ranked offense scored 49 points on Duke in the second half. In 34 possessions.

Even having seen Tre with my own eyes, I refuse to believe that Duke has a guard capable of playing defense. I expect 100 stepback fadeaways from Ponds.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom