Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] at Clemson

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Flip and Proctor both go this year then Scheyer is in some trouble. Because this whole year would then be a waste, he didn't win anything, and he didn't build toward anything. Next year is wipe the slate clean restart, again. And he's going to need to count on a bunch of freshmen in the trenches of the ACC, again.

If Flip and Proctor both go this year then Scheyer is in some trouble. Because this whole year would then be a waste, he didn't win anything, and he didn't build toward anything. Next year is wipe the slate clean restart, again. And he's going to need to count on a bunch of freshmen in the trenches of the ACC, again.
This is Duke basketball for the last 6 years?

A 6'10 250 Banchero had a higher assist rate and lower TO rate than Proctor who is a PG. If Proctor leaves, that "void" is much closer to the one Duval created by leaving than an actual irreplaceable talent.

That was actually a pretty good game until the last 4-5 minutes. Clemson might be legit. Either that or Hall and Galloway just played out of their minds from a shotmaking standpoint.

Pretty spectacular collapse from 58-57 with until 3 minutes left, though (as if 3 points in the prior 5 minutes wasn't bad enough). It wasn't like we were just missing shots, it felt like unforced TO after unforced TO. The offense remains horrifically ugly with zero spacing. Grandison and Whitehead also missed two huge, wide open threes. 3-20 is disgusting.

This is Duke basketball for the last 6 years?

It has, and it's been a chore to be a Duke fan the last 6 years. The point is though K can get away with it, Scheyer can't.

Also, I wonder what our OREB% would be if you excluded Filipowski shot attempts. Those aren't so much offensive rebounds as they are the second half of his post move.

That was actually a pretty good game until the last 4-5 minutes. Clemson might be legit. Either that or Hall and Galloway just played out of their minds from a shotmaking standpoint.

Pretty spectacular collapse from 58-57 with until 3 minutes left, though (as if 3 points in the prior 5 minutes wasn't bad enough). It wasn't like we were just missing shots, it felt like unforced TO after unforced TO. The offense remains horrifically ugly with zero spacing. Grandison and Whitehead also missed two huge, wide open threes. 3-20 is disgusting.

No field goals the last 5:07 by Duke.

Another game with zero minutes of Flip at the 5. Sigh.

They're not Paolos, but I do think that Proctor, Mitchell, Whitehead, and Flip would begin looking significantly better in the halfcourt if we played with any semblance of spacing. Even as someone who loves big, tall people, it's hard to keep watching this.

OREB% was 35% today, but if you take out Flip's five (and five misses that led to them), it's 27%. We're just not getting enough consistency there to be worth the disgusting spacing.

Another game with zero minutes of Flip at the 5. Sigh.

They're not Paolos, but I do think that Proctor, Mitchell, Whitehead, and Flip would begin looking significantly better in the halfcourt if we played with any semblance of spacing. Even as someone who loves big, tall people, it's hard to keep watching this.
It's more about the 4 spot than the 5 to me. I think our lineups with 4 non-bigs around Lively and 4 non-bigs around Young have really looked good at times. They're both good passers and both have good hands.

However you do it, one big instead of two helps spacing at both the 4 and the 3 - and if it's Flip at the five instead of a non-shooter, at the 5 as well. Everything would open up.

Four out around Flip just sounds worse than with the other guys though. He actually kind of sucks with his back to the basket, and does more harm than good when he's 20 feet away from the basket between the missed threes and the charges/TOs.

The guards on this roster aren’t good enough to make it work. They would probably look better with more spacing, but we’re talking about the kind of improvement you get if you had 4 Russell Westbrooks surrounding LeBron instead of 3 Russell Westbrooks surrounding Boban and LeBron.

The Russell Westbrooks would probably look better with a smallball LeBron lineup, but that’s still going to be a disgusting, trash offense, because you’re putting more bad players on the court.

Realistically, Duke isn’t going to convince Roach to transfer midseason, which is what would be best for everyone. So you end up with a smallball lineup of Roach, Proctor, Whitehead, Grandison, Lively/Young. That’s one of the worst lineups of the past 30 years. It takes a truly uniquely terrible roster for me to think big ball is on par with smallball, but here we are.

Tinkering with this roster feels like playing around with shit in the toilet - it’s still shit no matter what. Just get in the tournament to avoid the humiliation of missing it for the second time in three years, and hope we have guards who can shoot next year.

Last year would’ve sucked too if Paolo/AJ had performed as Lively/Whitehead have.

Well, not the bloodbath I was expecting. We actually played well enough to win for 30+ minutes.

The shot distribution is disgusting though. I know Whitehead was invisible...but 22 shots for Flip? This was my concern after his big game. He's really the only one on the team who seems comfortable with the "alpha role." And the results aren't great. I'm not saying any of our guys would score efficiently with 22 shots, but that's why none of them should be taking that many.

I guess on the plus side, Proctor is starting to come around a bit. I know he was 5-15. But he's looking more comfortable and assertive. 15 shots is too many, but it's better than the 2-3 he was sometimes taking before.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom