Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2013-2014

Totally worth it. The entire world knew he was bought and paid for except for K.

Who was that freeboard "insider" who kept calling him and Parker to Duke?

rome8180 said:
Totally worth it. The entire world knew he was bought and paid for except for K.

dcmesquire

rhfarmer said:
rome8180 said:

dcmesquire
Same guy who said Okafor's dad hated K or was that someone else?

I think JayLow also called Bazz to Duke.

dcm also said Randle to Duke and Parker to MSU, then switched his tune.

Manhattan: Steve Masiello on leave
Manhattan College has placed coach Steve Masiello on leave while he reviews his degree status at the University of Kentucky, the school announced Wednesday.

Masiello had reached an agreement in principle to become coach at South Florida, but the agreement was then terminated after that school conducted a background check.

Manhattan also confirmed Wednesday that Masiello has not resigned as the Jaspers' coach.

"As a result of a background check commissioned by the University of South Florida, Manhattan College has learned there is a question of the validity of head men's basketball coach Steve Masiello's undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky," reads a statement from Manhattan. "Masiello is currently in the process of reviewing his degree status with the University of Kentucky. Manhattan College has placed Masiello on leave while he completes this process with the university."

What say you? I'm kinda on the fence. I mean, he can obviously coach, so that's not in question. But by the same token, it's not just that he lied on his resume, it's that he lied, period. The questions about integrity have to come into play. Nobody's perfect, of course, which brings me to Jim Calhoun's comment:

"I'd take him back," Calhoun said. "We have a semi-parallel situation at Rutgers, where (Eddie Jordan) didn't have his degree, and they kept him. Why did they hire him in the first place? Why was Manhattan going to extend their offer to Coach Masiello? Because they want him. ... So, he's the same guy he was before, and he made an error on his resume, and he's going to have to fix that up and get his degree, I'm sure. But I would take him back in a heartbeat."

Ok, I understand people make errors, but lying about graduating/earning a degree goes well beyond a typo or putting down a wrong phone number to me.

Anyway, he'll probably be taken back, contingent upon finishing whatever needs to be finished, along with some sort of reprimand from the school/conference. Then he'll hold a remorseful press conference, and life will go on.

Isn't the point to win games? Who cares?

Lying on your resume doesn't make you a liar in the aggregate. All kinds of people lie on their resumes. I don't think I've filled out an honest one in my life, and I don't lie about other things.

I can see how it puts the employer in an awkward position, since it's sort of the like condoning (or at least saying you're okay with) the lie.

Why is having a college degree such a necessary prerequisite to being a coach? I mean, guys without degrees run some of the largest tech companies in the world yet they need a degree to teach 20 year olds how to "want to" and rebound?

It's not that it's necessary, it's just a good idea not to pretend like you have one.

I thought I heard that Florida law actually requires it, so not a philosophical issue in this case.

I get that, I just don't think I would give many shits about lying on a resume if the guy was getting great results

The best part is the DeAndre thought they were all cheering for him as he stepped up to the mic.

ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:
They are being held accountable. They're being held accountable for the 100+ good calls/non-calls they make every game. 1 mistake per 100 is pretty good.

Yeah, most people don't have 50 decisions per hour on the job. You have to look at what percent of the calls they are getting wrong. Can't try and judge them by an absolute value of bad calls.

LOL @ ref defending after this season/tournament. Still fucking up with the help of replay.

aiw said:
ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:
They are being held accountable. They're being held accountable for the 100+ good calls/non-calls they make every game. 1 mistake per 100 is pretty good.

Yeah, most people don't have 50 decisions per hour on the job. You have to look at what percent of the calls they are getting wrong. Can't try and judge them by an absolute value of bad calls.

LOL @ ref defending after this season/tournament. Still fucking up with the help of replay.

I should probably go back and delete that.

ZackM said:
aiw said:
ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:

I should probably go back and delete that.
What the fuck were we defending?

Idiots.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back