Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Dariq Whitehead

Was a more enjoyable to watch version of Cam Reddish imo. Seems like he's tougher/less of a pussy as well.

I assume it's because Cam was on a team with actual title aspirations and played with a generational phenom who gave us a chance to win every game. So it magnified his weakness in contrast to how I perceived Dariq's hilariously bad ball-skills this season.

I honestly don't know if Duke's ever had a worse ball-handler relative to recruiting rank. Seemed like it was a guaranteed turnover every time he put the ball on the floor. This is me being negative for no real reason other than disappointment.

Even his high school highlights, his best offensive creation was a contested step back. I never understood a shooting guard having his ranking. He did have some good moments on defense in addition to his 3PT shooting.

I don't think I'd draft him the first round. I wouldn't trust his shooting to translate to the next level (unless his high school numbers were awesome), and without that he has no value.

Dariq is a little like Cassius to me.

I will say, though, that I always feel closer/warmer to the guys who commit early because they know they've always wanted to be Blue Devils -- and Whitehead is certainly that. He and Flip did something really badass when they basically around the same time, as top players in their class, well before their senior year, committed to a just-hired coach-in-waiting.

Dariq is a little like Cassius to me.

I will say, though, that I always feel closer/warmer to the guys who commit early because they know they've always wanted to be Blue Devils -- and Whitehead is certainly that. He and Flip did something really badass when they basically around the same time, as top players in their class, well before their senior year, committed to a just-hired coach-in-waiting.

Yeah, I'll always have some love for him and Flip for essentially kickstarting Scheyer's career and creating a positive narrative/momentum around the hire. IIRC, Dariq actually committed first, and Flip just went public before he did.

Separately, it's very hard for me to square HS Whitehead with the version we saw this year. Not that he didn't have some nice moments - and you can't really complain about an athletic freshman who shoots 43% from 3 and defends pretty well - but he just looked so incredible in HS, even against the best competition.

Seems like he's gone, but I would have loved to see what would have happened with a healthy offseason here. He's super young - will only be 18 for this draft - and honestly think it might be a smart long term decision, rather than risking getting lost in the G-League. But alas.

I liked him out there when he didn't have to dribble the ball more than once. He was the only guy who seemingly had a prayer of shooting 45% from three

Great shooter but absolutely horrible at dribbling the basketball. That should be his biggest focus more than anything on where to improve. I've never seen such a highly ranked prospect suck that much at dribbling.

I liked him out there when he didn't have to dribble the ball more than once. He was the only guy who seemingly had a prayer of shooting 45% from three

Great shooter but absolutely horrible at dribbling the basketball. That should be his biggest focus more than anything on where to improve. I've never seen such a highly ranked prospect suck that much at dribbling.

It’s a close race between him and Cam Reddish.

Good comp in dribbling awfulness. I'm still voting for Dariq only because he played fewer minutes and felt like a liability any time he dribbled it more than once.

It's weird, you would think that fundamental type of skill would have been weighed pretty heavily in his ranking evaluation by scouts out of HS!

Good comp in dribbling awfulness. I'm still voting for Dariq only because he played fewer minutes and felt like a liability any time he dribbled it more than once.
You could put together a few minutes of tape of Reddish looking like a great driver at Duke. Not so for Dariq.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom