Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Good post Lhys, or should I say rome now? Rebounding could be an issue but I think Murphy will help on the wing in that regards in which we didnt have last year. I Miami could make a big splash this year in league play and noone talks about the Canes. They lit us up last year.

If Quinn Cook steps up this year I think we have Final Four potential. I really feel we are being underrated entering the season.

So Amile and Jiggy are basically going to be battling for 20 minutes of available PF minutes. That's being super generous too.
I see Murphy and Rasheed holding down all the minutes at the 3.

I think this year's team has way more potential than last year's team. More versatile pieces, more senior leadership, less potential for ego/infighting. Just way more comfortable with our team make up this year.

To follow up on my earlier post, in any prediction of top teams in the ACC, I don't see how you can pick UNC higher than third.

They actually have the potential to be quite a bit worse than that. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

It's sorta nice being underrated and the media having lower expectations on us. If we end up doing well K and co. will get credit he has deserved in previous years where he has outperformed but ppl don't see it that way because we are Duke

still not buying the underrated talk. We're top 10 in nearly all preseason polls, picked for at worst a 2nd or 3rd place finish in conference. There isn't a team out there being inflated. Under rated imo would be in the 20's or so. We have alot of unproven talent in Cook, Sheed, and Murphy that us Duke fans are expecting to all be really good this year. I think some of the analysts are just taking a little safer route.

marleyboy4945 said:
Define quite.
A misspelling of "quiet"? ;)

K and Roy get the benefit of the doubt b/c of their track record for reloading. On paper, NCSU is probably the smart pick for 1st, and in the preseason, "on paper" is more significant than it is at any other point. If Gottfried had been doing this for 20 years, NCSU would be the unanimous pick for #1.

Dattier said:
marleyboy4945 said:
Define quite.

K and Roy get the benefit of the doubt b/c of their track record for reloading. On paper, NCSU is probably the smart pick for 1st, and in the preseason, "on paper" is more significant than it is at any other point. If Gottfried had been doing this for 20 years, NCSU would be the unanimous pick for #1.

Right, and its like this in almost every conference. Teams with a reputation for winning will get the nod in preseason rankings regardless of whats on paper.

We better feed Mason a lot this year. Also, looking forward to seeing how our defense has developed since last year. I am very optimistic about this year.

DukeNukem05 said:
We better feed Mason a lot this year. Also, looking forward to seeing how our defense has developed since last year. I am very optimistic about this year.

This is the key. We'll be able to score. It's our ability to actually stop the other team from layup drills that will make the difference between a great year and long year.

Dattier said:
marleyboy4945 said:
Define quite.

:oops:

TheRagingCHS said:
Best dunker will be Mason. I hope to see a bunch of lobs from Quinn to Mason.

totally agree...oh wait sry....you make a good point on account of the fact that yes, an alley-oop lob is always an enjoyable thing to watch especially between one Quinn Cook and one Mason Plumlee.

People around here and TDD seem to undervalue our three point shooting, IMO. As far as I'm concerned, Curry is our only consistent three point shooter, but of course an argument can be made for Kelly. Without Seth in the lineup I think teams defensively will pack in the paint on us obviously cutting off driving lanes. Quinn has definitely not proved in any case that he is a consistent shooter (he bricked 'em pretty hard last season lulz). There have been reports of Murphy's outside shot leaving a lot to be desired, and not so sure about Sheed, although I believe he'll be pretty inconsistent as a freshman. Again, Kelly is a great 3 pt. shooter, although inconsistent at times, but I'm pretty sure most of you want him taking as little threes as possible from what I've seen on the boards. This is a moot point though, given Curry should be and will be playing heavy minutes, unless he's injured. Just another argument of many for those who believe Sheed should start.

TheRagingCHS said:
If Quinn Cook steps up this year I think we have Final Four potential. I really feel we are being underrated entering the season.

I love the optimism but there are too many questions marks. What is Mason going to look like? What is Cook going to look like? Are MP3 and Murphy going to produce the way they should? Will Curry not blow balls again? What about Sheed and Amile? Will we get any production from them? They will most certainly have the freshman learning curve.

Pathetic basketball players attempt to ride coattails of successful football team:

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall is pretty damn funny for a guy who would get booed off the stage at the laugh factory.

Also, Amile's head just seems so tiny in every video and picture he's in.

Every Duke team under Coach K has Final Four potential.

As for our three point shooting, it won't be as good as the last three years or so. We have two 40%+ guys in Kelly and Curry. Who knows about the others.

My money's on Cook shooting ~10% better than he did last year. He can shoot fine, he just missed six more threes than he should have over the course of the season.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom