Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

I'll go further and pencil in the exact rotation for next season based on the Livingston box score:

Tyus Jones (36) / Luke Kennard (4)
Grayson Allen (24) / Kennard (16)
Matt Jones (36) / Semi Ojeleye (4)
Amile Jefferson (32) / Chase Jeter (8)
Marshall Plumlee (16) / Jeter (12) / Sean Obi (12)

DNP: Rasheed Sulaimon

I mean, what did he really do that was good besides hit threes? He did get a 5 call, I guess. But he also brought the ball up, dribbled around, and jacked up a jump shot without passing several times (hit one), had several bad, lazy TOs (or almost TOs), and just generally, neither the offense nor defense looked very fluid to me when he was in. Basically, I don't trust him to contain his man one-on-one on defense, especially with ball screens, I don't really trust him with the ball, and the offense looks noticeably less fluid to me with him in.

IMO, for the role he needs to be effective, we have better options. Tyus has shown me the light.

Forgot to say that I think we're going to be really freaking good. Should be a fun year to be in Cameron and watch this much talent and athleticism play in person.

Also, Amile is on the team.

Can we stop insisting Cook is turnover-prone when he's not? He's actually the least turnover-prone guard in Duke history.

This comment is everything that annoys me about people's attitude toward Cook, sorry Pantone: "lazy TOs (or almost TOs)." It's like people are just waiting for him him to fuck up, for some reason. I've never seen someone get a shorter leash with the fans.

rome8180 said:
I've never seen someone get a shorter leash with the fans.

6a0115709f071f970b0120a5161f89970b-400wi.jpe

1360855702-tylerthornton.0685_duke_countdown_101411_dragoe.jpg

Duke fans hate short guards.

Actually, they kinda hate players that are short for their position, in general. Size queens, the lot of 'em.

I have a feeling that if Justise Winslow puts up the same numbers DeMarcus did in '08 (14.5 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3 assists, 49% FG, 39% 3pt, 1.6 steals), playing the same position, he will be thought of as 3x as good a basketball player.

If Justise puts up those numbers, we are winning a title (no thanks to that dumb midget, Quinn Cook).

rome8180 said:
Can we stop insisting Cook is turnover-prone when he's not? He's actually the least turnover-prone guard in Duke history.

This comment is everything that annoys me about people's attitude toward Cook, sorry Pantone: "lazy TOs (or almost TOs)." It's like people are just waiting for him him to fuck up, for some reason. I've never seen someone get a shorter leash with the fans.

I think that's a fair criticism in a game like that, though. If you throw a bad pass that would have gotten picked off if Livingston's defender wasn't 5'4 with a 5'6 wingspan, for example, I think that's fair to hold against you. His two TOs were bad TOs, too. It's one thing to get stripped when attacking the rim or something - still a TO, but at least a calculated risk - but it's another to just throw a lazy, uncontested pass 30 feet from the rim that gets picked off for an easy dunk.

However, TOs aren't the big gripe with him for me. I agree that he protects the ball well unless he has one of his random, short-circuit moments like the TO above. It's mainly the issues with protecting penetration and disrupting the flow on offense, and the fact that I think we have better options for the things he does well this year (shooting, penetrating and dishing). I like to think I'm not just a hater, as I've generally been on his side of the debate up to this point.

Pantone287 said:
rome8180 said:

I think that's a fair criticism in a game like that, though. If you throw a bad pass that would have gotten picked off if Livingston's defender wasn't 5'4 with a 5'6 wingspan, for example, I think that's fair to hold against you.

Unless he's throwing that pass because he knows he's playing against a 5'4 defender with a 5'6 wingspan. Taking advantage of your opponents limitations is normally viewed as a positive.

Okafor on one of the regional Sports Illustrated covers for the season preview. Should probably go ahead and schedule that foot surgery now at DUMC.

So who do you all want to sex more, Justise or Semi? I think Semi for me despite Justise's sex on the basketball court. With Semi though given his devout nature, it may be a bit harder to get him to put out, but the chase makes it all the more exhilarating.

ZackM said:
Unless he's throwing that pass because he knows he's playing against a 5'4 defender with a 5'6 wingspan. Taking advantage of your opponents limitations is normally viewed as a positive.

Maybe. That'd sure be a lot of instant mental processing for an unnecessarily tight perimeter pass that could be avoided with better habits.

Edit: Justise. I like to just watch him all game and imagine how cool it must feel to be him.

Pantone287 said:
ZackM said:

That'd sure be a lot of instant mental processing

I don't see how it would require any more instant mental processing than anything else we expect from players on the court.

I finally watched the Central Missouri exhibition. We have seen Justise at the 4 with 3 tiny guards in both games now. I'm getting a little worried that K will actually try to do this in a game against a decent opponent.

Oh yeah, it's coming. Especially with the strength of Duke's guards. Get ready for it. Semi is probably preparing by looking at congregations nearby other schools.

It worked to a certain extent, but I couldn't help noticing that the first time they did it against CM, it immediately resulted in CM's best play of the evening -- a fast break finished with a lob.

Fortunately, he's not done it for very long in either game. So hopefully its use will be minimal.

The worst version of it features Amile at the five. We saw that once against CM. At least if you keep Okafor in there you have SOME size.

I liken K to a drug addict with small ball. He knows he needs to stop it. The past several years of defensive results show him he needs to stop. But he can't. He loves the jumpshot heavy offense and high pressure defense on the perimeter. It feels so good for him even though it ends so poorly in the long run. He's getting stronger and stronger at resisting it but he relapses here and there. Hopefully he will only hurt this team with small ball for 4-8 minutes a game this season.

When you have a four who can shoot threes (Semi) and a competent backup five (Marshall), there's really no reason you should ever use small ball. FT shooting isn't an excuse since Okafor seems to be fine in that regard and Semi is a 90% FT shooter.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom