Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke basketball 2015-2016 discussion thread

Slap the Floor said:
Does the streak end against Indiana?

I think so. Unless our defense improves, this should be a battle of who can defend less. Yogi Ferrel will run laps around our guys.

It looks like Marshall + Amile lineups were +10 today. Ingram + Amile lineups were -2 or thereabouts. I'm not sure that there actually was a good defensive period, but the one sustained good run involved the starting 5.

Well this is interesting. By my count, based on the goduke.com PBP, Amile + Marshall lineups gave up 28 points in 32 possessions. 0.875 PPP in the context of that game is something else. That would mean that all other lineups gave up 58 points in 35 possessions (1.657). Is that even possible?

Wow. My initial impression about +/- today would have been that we were better with Thornton and without Ingram. I wouldn't have said much beyond that, especially since neither starting big exactly had spectacular numbers and both fouled out.

the scacchoops site says that the starting 5 had a +/- of +17(!)

I get something like 38-22 for the starting 5 from the boxscore, though it's tough to read.

Thanks, you're right. I don't want to read too much into it. It's mostly the start of each half--there could be other factors at work. Still, .88 vs. 1.66 is pretty nuts.

Also, it's not like Duke had a lot of choice whether to play the big lineup--foul trouble took that away. I mean Marshall got called for a foul on the opening tip! He basically had to play the game as if he was allotted 4 fouls.

DrKlahn said:
Thanks, you're right. I don't want to read too much into it. It's mostly the start of each half--there could be other factors at work. Still, .88 vs. 1.66 is pretty nuts.

By my reading, it's only the start of each half. I don't think we saw the starters as a unit outside of that.

It looks like they were brought back in at 6:52 and stayed in together until Marshall fouled out.

Ah, you're right. There's an errant SUB OUT: Matt Jones at the 6:52 mark in the PDF that clearly shouldn't be there.

I'm hopeful that the defense sucking is because these guys need time to gel/learn to play together, rather than because these guys are just shitty individual defenders. Last year, we knew that Tyus and Okafor were horrible individual defenders who were both getting 30 plus minutes.

Not sure we have anyone who defensively on an individual basis is as weak as those two. Jones, Jefferson and Plumlee should be plus defenders. Thornton looks to at least be average (blossoming into a big plus as he gains experience).

How bad could Allen, Kennard and Ingram be? I'm bad at eye testing defense but I thought Kennard has looked OK. Maybe Is Allen tired from shouldering the load offensively? I will just go ahead and assume Ingram sucks.

If you feel like you dislike this team, you should just watch this. MP3 has the Bilas self-deprecation without any of his pompousness. Grayson has maybe the most genuine laugh in sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't worry about the level of investment a kid like Ingram has in Duke basketball. His entire future and identity revolves around his ability to play basketball, and he chose Duke despite tremendous pressure to attend UNC. The fact that he is physically weak and can't make shots is more concerning to me than his lack of intensity and consistent effort, which seem to be pretty normal for freshmen.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom