Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2020-2021

I am pretty high on Hurt if he comes back. On the negative side, he is not strong and was very inconsistent and seemed over his head at times. On the plus side, he showed he can score in spurts, and if he does that consistently, could average close to 20 a game his soph. or junior year. I know he prob. won't have a junior year I'm just saying. You saw the potential; when he was on this year he looked like he could get 20 in a half if he wanted. I think if he comes back he's a starter, no doubt.

Watching Duke/MD in College Park in 2001.

Blake, Dixon, Morris, Baxter, Mouton

Williams, Battier, Dunleavy, Boozer, Duhon

Amazing

Just watched the ACC finals between BC and UNC, can't remember what season it was. BC destroyed UNC, despite UNC basically playing a home game and getting every call.

The level of play is a balloon times better than it is now.

Also, what happened to Al Skinner? He was a great coach.

Just watched the ACC finals between BC and UNC, can't remember what season it was. BC destroyed UNC, despite UNC basically playing a home game and getting every call.

He was a great player too at UMass- in the early 1970's (us old guys remember crap like that, right @rhfarmerr?)
He was coaching at Kennesaw State but resigned after last season.

He was a great player too at UMass- in the early 1970's (us old guys remember crap like that, right @rhfarmerr?)
I believe Skinner was on the team with Dr. J and Pitino, right?

I ain't that old

I think we, the general consensus, might be over hyping DJ Steward because he's a very good shooter. It's hard to over hype a very good shooter, but in the case of incoming freshman I think it's possible if they come in and aren't physically or mentally prepared to contribute right away. Everyone here places a high value on shooting, and rightfully so. We also have gone through a couple of seasons in a row, particularly in 2018, where we weren't a good shooting team or didn't take many 3's. So the itch to bring in great shooters has been strong and Steward helps relieve the itch and has caused great excitement surrounding him, some of which I think may be unjust.

Despite his shooting he's only ranked #24 nationally. Obviously that's good, but he's not coming in as a top 10 guy, and guys who are outside of the top 20 aren't really guys that I expect to come in and do really well. You don't have to be a top 10, or top 20 guy to come in and be a beast freshman year, but the further you get away from it I think the more likely it is you're looking at multi-year guys or guys who will struggle to adapt their freshman year. Stanley came in and exceeded expectations but he's also I think 20 or 21 years old and he's an elite level athlete. Unless his ranking is suffering because he's viewed as a tweener between point and shooting guard and the scouts view he's not skilled enough to be a good PG, but not big enough to be a traditional SG, I think it's likely that there are deficiencies in his game which should cause us to temper our expectations on him.

Just for a comparison, Gary Trent Jr came in at #17 nationally and he was 6'6 and physically well developed. Steward is coming in at 6'3/6'4 and he has a smaller frame. Again, maybe that's factoring into his ranking, and his skill exceeds his ranking, but I'm not expecting Steward to come in and be a big impact player right away. I'm going to officially temper my expectations on him. I think if he plays 20 minutes per game and averages 7-8ppg on like 38% 3pt shooting that would be really good- and I expect him to be at Duke for multiple seasons.

The ideal situation is for Stanley to return as a sophomore and for Steward to come in and just shoot well off the bench, kicking AOC officially out of the rotation.

I believe Skinner was on the team with Dr. J and Pitino, right?

Yes Skinner did play with Dr J and Pitino at UMass

I think we, the general consensus, might be over hyping DJ Steward because he's a very good shooter. It's hard to over hype a very good shooter, but in the case of incoming freshman I think it's possible if they come in and aren't physically or mentally prepared to contribute right away. Everyone here places a high value on shooting, and rightfully so. We also have gone through a couple of seasons in a row, particularly in 2018, where we weren't a good shooting team or didn't take many 3's. So the itch to bring in great shooters has been strong and Steward helps relieve the itch and has caused great excitement surrounding him, some of which I think may be unjust.

Despite his shooting he's only ranked #24 nationally. Obviously that's good, but he's not coming in as a top 10 guy, and guys who are outside of the top 20 aren't really guys that I expect to come in and do really well. You don't have to be a top 10, or top 20 guy to come in and be a beast freshman year, but the further you get away from it I think the more likely it is you're looking at multi-year guys or guys who will struggle to adapt their freshman year. Stanley came in and exceeded expectations but he's also I think 20 or 21 years old and he's an elite level athlete. Unless his ranking is suffering because he's viewed as a tweener between point and shooting guard and the scouts view he's not skilled enough to be a good PG, but not big enough to be a traditional SG, I think it's likely that there are deficiencies in his game which should cause us to temper our expectations on him.

Just for a comparison, Gary Trent Jr came in at #17 nationally and he was 6'6 and physically well developed. Steward is coming in at 6'3/6'4 and he has a smaller frame. Again, maybe that's factoring into his ranking, and his skill exceeds his ranking, but I'm not expecting Steward to come in and be a big impact player right away. I'm going to officially temper my expectations on him. I think if he plays 20 minutes per game and averages 7-8ppg on like 38% 3pt shooting that would be really good- and I expect him to be at Duke for multiple seasons.

The ideal situation is for Stanley to return as a sophomore and for Steward to come in and just shoot well off the bench, kicking AOC officially out of the rotation.

Lol at Stanley returning.

TT just dribbled it off his leg up 2 with 3:30 left int he 1st half

My 11 year old just asked were Hairston was. He was 3 years old during this game. I guess my yelling was seared into his brain.

The last 1 minute of the 1st half was a disaster

They are so much better than us. Down 10 with 16:42 left and they are crushing. OR after OR.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom