Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The overall gap isn’t huge by any means - I didn’t try to imply that it was - and we’ve definitely been the more consistent program, but they’ve achieved more in the ACC regular season and the NCAA tournament, which does weigh on many people. We could easily have 5 Final Fours, for sure, but they lost very close E8 games in 2007 and 2011 themselves.

I just don't know when the ACC regular season became such a big talking point. I've never cared about that.

The NCAA Tournament matters a ton, sure. But I do think you have to weigh the in-the-moment experience. They essentially have had nine seasons around the quality of our 2007 season. Those can't have been fun to sit through. Most of our experience watching basketball is the actual seasons, in the moment, at least for those few of us stupid enough to still watch.

Idk, I can only speak to myself. All I know is I don't feel my emotions about this season are the product of feeling like UNC has won the last 20 years. That feels too abstract, and also I tend to be forward-looking about the rivalry. I'm not even that bothered by the 2022 Final Four loss at this point.

What I don't like is how they seem to be able to return players over and over, how Hubert Davis seems to understand the importance of the portal, and how they actually seem to be running good lineups with modern spacing. I don't like it when compared to Duke, who seems to rely on a revolving door of freshmen, who loses players that have no business of going anywhere, and who has seemingly never heard of the portal. And the differences in approach seem to have borne fruit this year, and you have to wonder if they will going forward. Already we're hearing rumblings about Duke players making stupid fucking decisions. Meanwhile, RJ, Cadeau, and Ingram seem to have decided to go for tenure at UNC.

Tbh I never really cared about it until the 2010s, when we started blowing our chances seemingly every other year as UNC and UVA kept racking up titles. If we’d merely won 3 or 4 after 2010 instead of only one, I wouldn’t even think about it.

They’ve unquestionably had more down years than us and I do like that our program is a model of consistency with a usual floor of 25 wins per year.

This is just my opinion, but not only has UNC been a slightly better program since Roy returned, but they've been a more 'enjoyable' program since Duke started going one and done. Almost every year since going one and done, Duke has entered each season with a lot of hype and NBA talent, and we've witnessed some horrific defenses and a lot of iso ball. UNC has gone about things differently in that time span. Almost each year they are slightly underrated and sort of operating in Duke's shadow, but their guys stuck around, developed, and played within a system that I don't love but appreciate nonetheless.

Purely speaking as a fan I miss how it felt to root for Duke during the years after JJ graduated. They didn't do well in the NCAA Tournament, but the 07-09 teams played a great brand of basketball, competed their asses off every single night, and maxed out each year. It culminated in an unbelievable finish in 2010. My favorite Duke teams since 2007 are the 2010 and 2013 teams. The 2013 team was a breath of fresh air after two years of, at the time, small-scale one-and-done basketball. That's how UNC fans have felt almost every year since we started going big time into one and done.

To this day the players I remember the most are Scheyer, Gerald Henderson, Singler, Quinn Cook, Zoubek, Plumlee bros etc.,

I don’t miss the 07-09 era one bit. 1-5 against UNC with them going deep in the tournament every year as we struggled to even reach the second weekend. 2010 was wonderful, but the road to it was rocky. Hell, I was worried K was going to end his career with 3 titles back then.

It's also just not that fun to be a Duke fan, all else equal. The bulk of fans and media are against you, and in ways that would seem more fucked up if we weren't used to it.

There's this "sorta tongue in cheek sorta not" idea that Duke = inherently immoral and evil that is generally accepted. If they win, it's discreted due to officiating, flopping, whatever. If they lose, they're still evil, but also lame, dorky, white, soft, dirty, etc., and deserve any pain and ridicule coming their way - and NEVER any empathy, since they are subhuman. This includes games against UNC, where it's all magnified.

It's fine for an entire team to skip handshakes to run up on Duke's student fans who just absorbed a brutal loss and talk a bunch of aggressive shit, and if a couple of the fans throw water bottles, the focus should simply be on how that's disgusting and indicative of their evil nature. It's fine to rush the court and steamroll Duke's players, but the player yelling in pain as a result the ensuing injury deserves ridicule for probably lying and being a pussy and deserving it anyway so on.

I know there's some degree of dehumanizing that always happens with sports fandom, but I really think it happens to an extreme level (and degree of general acceptance of it by the zeitgeist) with Duke basketball. There's zero good-natured "sportsmanship" left in it for most people, and not even much underlying competitive respect, where it's fun to "hate" but they recognize where it comes from and keep context. I genuinely think that if Duke's whole team got murdered on the court, there's a good chunk of the country that would celebrate and have no doubt that they deserved it, simply because Duke.

It's a pretty fucked up dynamic to have to constantly deal with for "fun", and the gleefully-socially-accepted/encouraged kicking while down makes the low points more frustrating than they are for other fanbases, IMO.

I agree with this, though as the worst era for Duke hatred was undoubtedly the mid-2000s, it doesn’t bother me as much as it did back then.
My HS years were timed perfectly from 2001-2004, and then I was off getting drunk out of state until 2008, so I was probably less affected by that era. Plus, internet sports culture was so much less of a monster then.

I've noticed it's ramped back up a bit this year. Having a prominent white player isn't helping. 2019 was the least hated Duke team I've seen.
It's probably the reason for my size queenish tendencies and anti-white player racism. Results equal, the fan experience is much more enjoyable for me when the team isn't vulnerable to being literally or metaphorically bullied.

I watched the least basketball from 1998-2003. I was a teenager and then a college student. I was playing in bands. Was more interested in getting high than sports.

Of course, that happens to have been one of the better eras of Duke basketball. I got back into it hard in the 2004 season. That year I don't remember the team being super hated, but Redick, Paulus, McRoberts, etc ushered back in a new era of Duke hate.

Last edited:
Scheyer felt like he got a bit of a pass on the hatred last year. Now it's on full force, proving that it wasn't hatred of Coach K's wicked and immoral ways that people hated after all.

I've noticed it's ramped back up a bit this year. Having a prominent white player isn't helping. 2019 was the least hated Duke team I've seen.
It's probably the reason for my size queenish tendencies and anti-white player racism. Results equal, the fan experience is much more enjoyable for me when the team isn't vulnerable to being literally or metaphorically bullied.
I hardly interact with UNC fans. The few that I do see regularly are reasonable humans. I don't engage with rivalry talk online (don't use Twitter, etc.).

I also think I kind of have a don't-fuck-with-me demeanor or something. My friend (a pastor) gets borderline harassed. After UNC wins, he'll get dozens of calls. His office will get filled with Carolina Blue streamers and balloons. He'll get pranks pulled on him. He can't do anything because he's a pastor and he has to be nice.

I'm not saying I'm some tough guy or anything, but I think I've set a precedent where no one would do something like that to me because I'd tell them to fuck off and I'd never talk to them again.

I know Laettner was despised in the early 90s, but it doesn’t sound like Duke engendered too much hate for the rest of the decade. The early seeds for the 2000s disdain were sewn by Billy Packer and Maryland at the ‘01 Final Four, and it would then explode with Redick and co., as Rome mentioned above. Cooled down after Paulus graduated, I don’t remember the 2010 team sparking much visceral hatred, despite being very white. Fired back up again with Grayson and now Flip.

2015 team seemed relatively well liked. The key recipe for national respect seems to be dominance + black NBA talent. 1998 and 1999 are thought of a "likable" Duke teams too. 2001 had Battier as a senior, which was enough to make Duke hated because he's nerdy (and therefore white). Plus, like you mentioned, you had Packer and Maryland creating a narrative.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom