Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2014 was atrocious on defense. This team is competent on that end. Also, 2014 had zero players I enjoyed watching.

Lastly, that was Coach K after he'd accomplished a ton and had long since peaked as a coach. This is Scheyer in his second season. There's reason to expect growth.

2014 was atrocious on defense. This team is competent on that end. Also, 2014 had zero players I enjoyed watching.

Lastly, that was Coach K after he'd accomplished a ton and had long since peaked as a coach. This is Scheyer in his second season. There's reason to expect growth.

this is the simplest explanation for a lot of our frustrations. we have to let jon grow into the job. does anyone here really think jon isn't furious with himself about the team's inability to execute a 2 for 1 in the last minute yesterday?

scheyer's popularity with recruits and normal demeanor are intangible qualities that every other college program in the country covet. it's not even fair to think scheyer will peak as a coach for another 3-5 years at a minimum.

a personality observation on the k era: our end of game execution feels like it's gone to shit since k retired. when the bullets were flying at the end of games you always felt like k's teams kept their cool.

a personality observation on the k era: our end of game execution feels like it's gone to shit since k retired. when the bullets were flying at the end of games you always felt like k's teams kept their cool.
He did have his moments. When he had the right players, he could pump them up to run through brick walls. With the wrong players, they crumbled. There's a very good chance that K back in the day would have made Flip cry.

I think K could always draw up a winning play and was dangerous coming out of a timeout, but sometimes the players weren't up to the task.
I don't recall any brilliant Jon plays, but I haven't been paying much attention this season. Seeing them come out weak and frantic at the beginning of most of their games made me want to go do something else.

I felt like K’s teams consistently kept their cool late until the last few years when there was a significant drop off. Those appalling losses to Wake and SFA in 2020. One ugly close L after another in 2021. Some hideous defeats against bad teams in ACC play in 2022, as well.

I felt like K’s teams consistently kept their cool late until the last few years when there was a significant drop off. Those appalling losses to Wake and SFA in 2020. One ugly close L after another in 2021. Some hideous defeats against bad teams in ACC play in 2022, as well.
2014 was a pretty bad year for clutch play. Iirc, we led in the 2nd half of every single one of our losses that year.

If that’s the Jabari year then yes absolutely. We always got a double digit lead and squandered it away

If that’s the Jabari year then yes absolutely. We always got a double digit lead and squandered it away
Yeah, the stat actually may have been that we led by 5+ in the 2nd half of every loss. It might have even been something like "with under 10 minutes left."

If anyone feels like getting extra pissed off… lol this guy is a Duke fan too btw. Most of these clips are brutal. Makes you think Duke could easily lose first game of the big dance. Some really bad Defense all around.

FWIW Luke Yaklich, the assistant that orchestrated those great defenses under John Beilein at Michigan, was recently fired from his head coaching position at Illinois-Chicago. The defense has improved analytically under Scheyer but I would bring that guy on staff in a heartbeat to run the defense if there's an opening.

Just a really weird season. Never blown out unlike last year which got bombed by 20+ three (or maybe four?) times, but also had fewer highs, worse losses (by quality), and likely won’t win anything of note. If we don’t make the second weekend I think it’ll go down as my second worst season since 2015, only ahead of 2021. 2017 did win the ACC Tournament, at least.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom