Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like our "end of game" execution has been better than our "start of 1st half" and especially "end of 1st half" execution. Some of these close losses are games where the other team got up double figures in the second and we clawed our way to within 5 by the end.
Yeah, I think StPFS made the same point above.

I think the reason it seems like we don't execute at the end of the game is because there were a few notable late-game chokes (Arizona, GT).

One thing I will say is that there's this idea going around on social media that this team doesn't have any "fight." The fact that we've managed to make a bunch of games close that looked like potential blowouts counter to that "lack of fight" narrative. I hate narratives like that anyway, but I particularly don't feel it applies to this team. Would be more applicable to a team like 2014, imo.

I'm not sure what this team's "issue" is. But I don't think it's fight and I also don't think it's chemistry.

I think we’re just a team that’s undersized inside, and despite being great on offense overall, doesn’t have anyone who can truly take over on that end of the floor.

Talent-wise, in the post-2015 era, I’d only say we’re comfortably above 2021. Close to 2016 and 2023. 2020 had two players better than anyone on this team in Hoss and Tre, though there was a dip after them. 2017-19 and 2022 were all loaded.

I think we’re just a team that’s undersized inside, and despite being great on offense overall, doesn’t have anyone who can truly take over on that end of the floor.
To me, a big part of it is that the spaced court we envisioned didn't materialize. We ended up being a very good shooting team overall. But that was all happening at the 1-3 positions. Didn't really open up driving lanes for the guards, didn't put opposing bigs in impossible defensive positions. Flip shot 35% from three, but that's not good enough that teams won't just concede it. And obviously, Mitchell is the guy who really needed to be more of a threat.

It feels weird to complain about the #7 offense. But if you have a lethal offense with great floor spacing, your defense just needs to be competent. Ours was.

Sam Vecenie just dropped a new mock draft- Filipowski and McCain in the top 20, no one else projected to be drafted.

It’s going to be an interesting off-season for Scheyer and co.

Flip definitely gone now that he's seen first-hand what being the villain of the sport entails. Don't expect McCain back with a top 20 opportunity, even if his NIL as a sophomore would likely pay pretty well.

Really interested to see what happens with Proctor/Mitchell/Roach though. Getting 2 of those 3 back would give me a lot of false hope heading into next season, where we will again somehow fail to achieve a 1 seed in the NCAAT.

Flip definitely gone now that he's seen first-hand what being the villain of the sport entails. Don't expect McCain back with a top 20 opportunity, even if his NIL as a sophomore would likely pay pretty well.

Really interested to see what happens with Proctor/Mitchell/Roach though. Getting 2 of those 3 back would give me a lot of false hope heading into next season, where we will again somehow fail to achieve a 1 seed in the NCAAT.

Proctor and Mitchell are interesting. Many possibilities there. Is there really a chance Roach returns?

Could Duke do better than a 5th year Roach as the starting 2G with Foster next season?

Assuming Jared and Proctor leave. Not sure where Tyrese will go though?! He clearly needs more time in college. Being a relcass he’s still freshman age I believe.

Is McCain just being overrated by the scouts because he plays for Duke? Or just the wanna be scouts who make up these mock drafts. Because I look at him and I don't see a first round pick at all. His numbers are not *that* impressive, he shoots 39.9% from 3 as the third option on the team, 20% usage. His defense is suspect, he doesn't have either size or athleticism. He's a top 20 pick?
Gary Trent shot slightly better, at the same usage rate, and is 6-6, and he wasn't picked until the 2nd rd. And I'm not seeing any reason to believe that McCain is more likely to succeed in the NBA than Trent after their respective freshmen years, in fact I think his prospects are significantly worse.

Last edited:
Could Duke do better than a 5th year Roach as the starting 2G with Foster next season?

Assuming Jared and Proctor leave. Not sure where Tyrese will go though?! He clearly needs more time in college. Being a relcass he’s still freshman age I believe.
It seems like there are going to be a lot of irrational decisions made by our guys this offseason.

Roach + one other guard is good enough, imo. My preference would be McCain, and that might actually be the most likely outcome, as crazy as it sounds.

I agree with LH on McCain; I personally just wouldn’t draft him. But this draft is so horrible that he’s one of the top 30 most intriguing prospects, based on potential Lillard/Trae-caliber shooting and range. Knocks against him would seem fatal to a successful NBA career in a normal draft year - small, poor defense, poor passing for an NBA starting PG, not great at finishing. But being somewhat intriguing at the most important skill is enough for the 1st round this season, and for that reason, Duke will lose him after one year, while Elliot Cadeau is a 4-year player.

Rome, I hope Foster is not one of the players considering an irrational decision re: going pro/transferring. That guy will be terrific as a 2nd of 3rd year player.

I love the energy he brings and he’s a tough little SOB. But watching Blakes shoot is painful. I doubt he has enough time left in his career to completely retool his shot so I don’t expect it to change. Just don’t get how a guard can make it to college and shoot the way he does. When you have that kind of form it feels like there’s no room for improvement.

I think Mitchell could be fine if he gets rid of the hitch and have a more smooth motion from beginning to end.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom