Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, the most frustrating part of all of it isn't fan interaction. It's what this hate does to rival players. I'm 100% convinced the out-of-body performances we so regularly get against us are the result of anti-Duke propoganda. If you think the opponent is the equivalent of Hitler, you're probably going to focus a lot harder.

I know nothing about 20th century warfare, but if you sent me back in time to kill Hitler, I can guarantee you I'd be more in a zone of razor-sharp focus and determination than I've ever been in my life. Cormac Ryan probably felt like a hero preventing genocide.

I'm not saying I'm some tough guy or anything, but I think I've set a precedent where no one would do something like that to me because I'd tell them to fuck off and I'd never talk to them again.
This is me. I overreact like a nutjob when people talk that mess to me, so people learn pretty quickly not to do it. During the 2013 NCAAT loss to Louisville, I ended up telling my cousin who is a pastor and 20+ years my senior to STFU.

Yeah, I also have the good fortune of not caring about being close to my family. So many people tolerate bullshit just because it's coming from family members.

I'm not saying I'm some tough guy or anything, but I think I've set a precedent where no one would do something like that to me because I'd tell them to fuck off and I'd never talk to them again.
This is me. I overreact like a nutjob when people talk that mess to me, so people learn pretty quickly not to do it. During the 2013 NCAAT loss to Louisville, I ended up telling my cousin who is a pastor and 20+ years my senior to STFU.
Did he?

Did he?
If anyone missed this before the edit, "he" was originally "that useless old sack of shit". Like a moth to a flame.

I know Laettner was despised in the early 90s, but it doesn’t sound like Duke engendered too much hate for the rest of the decade. The early seeds for the 2000s disdain were sewn by Billy Packer and Maryland at the ‘01 Final Four, and it would then explode with Redick and co., as Rome mentioned above. Cooled down after Paulus graduated, I don’t remember the 2010 team sparking much visceral hatred, despite being very white. Fired back up again with Grayson and now Flip.
Yep 2001 FF was when it started.

Duke in the 90's generally had positive media coverage. Teams like UNLV and the Fab Five were the scrutinized programs of the 90's. Then you had Jim Harrick

In the 90's we were the model program that finally won the big one.

I do think the 2001 turning point became inevitable in the late 90's when we fully recovered from the mess in 1995. At that point, we weren't the program that finally won the big one, we were firmly a big dog gearing up for another.

Once TV executives saw that Duke hate generates ratings in 2001, it has continued with peaks here and there.

Last edited:
Zooming out more, we are just year away from thinking that UNC's Final Four run was a fluke and that Hubert Davis probably sucked after all. So who the fuck knows what we're looking at. But I'm significantly lower on the future than I was just two games ago, which is probably dumb, I guess.

Won't matter much it appears. I know college basketball has changed dramatically the past couple of decades, but it sure does seem like kids come here more for the brand/social media appeal than to do whatever it takes to win for the front of the jersey. Guess that's just today's society.

Somebody pointed it out but this year's team have some parallels with the 2014 team.
2014 started the season ranked #4, dipped as low at #23, and ended the season ranked #8, this year started at #2, dipped as low at #22, and is now #9.
The 2014 team lost its big profiled preseason matchups against Kansas and Arizona, but beat Michigan, then won its big NC game at MSG against UCLA. This team lost to Arizona and Arkansas and beat Michigan State. Then won it big NC game at MSG against Baylor.
2014 finished 26-9, this team is current 24-8, and likely to finish anywhere from 24-9 to maybe 26-9.
The 2014 team managed to get to the ACCT finals, but needed a 63-62 win in the 1st round to barely avoid getting bounced in the 1st round like 2024.
The 2014 team did manage to beat UNC in its final regular season game to earn a split.
2014 ended the season at KP #8, 2024 is also currently KP#8.

I know for a lot of people, 2014 was probably their least favorite season of the late K era.
2024 is objectively worse than 2014, unless next week change things.

^ very true. Tough to have it both ways. Either you advertise yourself as the program with the most exposure and where you, as a recruit, are essentially treated as a celebrity. Or you go for the more blue-collar approach where the only thing that matters is basketball and the team. The former gives you access to the top recruits, but who only see you as a stepping stone and can be more easily distracted with the "fame". The latter gives you worse recruits but may "buy-in" to the program for a longer time horizon.

Not an easy job as a coach to balance the two.

Somebody pointed it out but this year's team have some parallels with the 2014 team.
2014 started the season ranked #4, dipped as low at #23, and ended the season ranked #8, this year started at #2, dipped as low at #22, and is now #9.
The 2014 team lost its big profiled preseason matchups against Kansas and Arizona, but beat Michigan, then won its big NC game at MSG against UCLA. This team lost to Arizona and Arkansas and beat Michigan State. Then won it big NC game at MSG against Baylor.
2014 finished 26-9, this team is current 24-8, and likely to finish anywhere from 24-9 to maybe 26-9.
The 2014 team managed to get to the ACCT finals, but needed a 63-62 win in the 1st round to barely avoid getting bounced in the 1st round like 2024.
The 2014 team did manage to beat UNC in its final regular season game to earn a split.
2014 ended the season at KP #8, 2024 is also currently KP#8.

I know for a lot of people, 2014 was probably their least favorite season of the late K era.
2024 is objectively worse than 2014, unless next week change things.

I liked Jabari, but for the most part the 2014 team was a tough hang.

Also, I imagine part of the reason Nike is a backer of our program to the extent that it is is related to the high-ceiling pro prospects we tend to recruit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom