Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pros:

-Made the Elite 8, when none of us really expected to entering the tournament.
-Beat a higher seeded team in the tournament for the first time in 30 years.
-Still won 15 ACC games and got a top 10 noncon win over Baylor at MSG.

Cons:
-Swept by UNC, and a Heels team that wasn’t significantly better than us, at that.
-Wasted a golden opportunity to win the regular season with the second loss.
-Lost to an 11 seed in the E8, fucking NC State of all teams.

Very weird season. Unlike any I’ve ever seen as a fan.

This is the hardest season for me to place in my post-2015 rankings. Gonna have to let the dust settle a bit before I can.
I'll rank it ahead of 2017 and 2021, but no higher

There’s an argument for it to go above 2023 as well due to the tournament run and significantly better metrics. Former had the UNC sweep and ACCT to hang its hat on, though.

Yeah, 2023 was better because of the UNC sweep and trophy. A Final Four this year would have clearly made it better than 2023 despite those other factors.
Also it was a cruel ending for a team on the upswing with Mark scratching 5 min before game time. But couldn’t get too upset with the loss then

This is the hardest season for me to place in my post-2015 rankings. Gonna have to let the dust settle a bit before I can.
I'll rank it ahead of 2017 and 2021, but no higher

It's behind 2017 for me. 2017 gave us Tatum, and they had an awesome ACCT run in which they had HUGE comebacks against #10 Louisville and #6 UNC before defeating #22 Notre Dame in the finals. We beat UNC 2/3 that year.

Of course it is because you have had so many bad takes today

2017 Duke:
-Beat UNC 2/3 times
-Won the ACCT
-Beat 9 ranked teams during the regular season
-#2 seed in the NCAAT
-Lost in R32 and humiliated in the 2nd half
-Bad defense with #47 on KP

2024 Duke
-Strong on KP throughout the entire season
-beat 2 ranked teams during the regular season
-Swept by UNC
-Lost in first round of ACCT
-Beat a higher seed in NCAAT
-Lost in the Elite 8

It was the expectations that made it so brutal. That may have been the most loaded team K had post-2004. Maybe even earlier, depending how you want to factor in depth. It was a perfect combination of returning upperclassman talent and elite freshmen. But due to injuries and bad chemistry, the team just never had any kind of flow. Even in the ACCT, we had to come back from down double digits over and over.

Finished 14th on Kenpom with one of the best rosters K's ever assembled. Lost 9 games and got destroyed in the 2nd round. Just terrible.

This team had a lot of hype around it, but when you compare the actual talent and experience level, it wasn't even close.

Weird season indeed. Preseason ranked in the top 3. Never felt like we matched that ranking all season. No real signature win given our lack of high quality OOC opponents and relatively weak conference opponents at the time. Swept by unc. One and done in the ACCT. Kinda just stay in that good but not great analytic range all season.

Saving grace honestly was unc choking in Sweet 16 and the Shead injury leading to an impressive 4/6 Elite 8s.

Other than that, was never truly confident in this bunch. It's going to, again, depend on who returns, just like last season.

We returned a ton and improved, but still couldn't quite get to an elite status. Flips gone, we all know that. Question now is, can McCain return? What does Roach do? I'm assuming he's gone. I'd like for Tyrese to come back even if he was dog shit for some of the season, especially today. What is our transfer portal strategy? If we can get at least one stud, I feel like we can actually back up a Top 3 team all season like I thought we were going to be this season.

A third year for Scheyer should also pay off as he's settling into the role and realizing what coaching the premier program in the nation feels like.

I don’t remember the specifics, but IIRC team GPA affects something important, so it’s not the worst idea to pad academic stats through the portal. I believe it would take a true unicorn to make a difference for Duke on the court from the portal. I could see Steph Curry, if we paused his life for the past 15 years or whatever, being a portal target for Duke after freshman year, and I can’t think of many others who would fit the bill. Davidson, freshman, elite player, elite media presence, elite parents.

It was the expectations that made it so brutal. That may have been the most loaded team K had post-2004. Maybe even earlier, depending how you want to factor in depth. It was a perfect combination of returning upperclassman talent and elite freshmen. But due to injuries and bad chemistry, the team just never had any kind of flow. Even in the ACCT, we had to come back from down double digits over and over.

Finished 14th on Kenpom with one of the best rosters K's ever assembled. Lost 9 games and got destroyed in the 2nd round. Just terrible.

This team had a lot of hype around it, but when you compare the actual talent and experience level, it wasn't even close.
I had 1999 vibes entering into that season. No lie.

This team's preseason hype was nothing in comparison.

Maybe 2015 was still fresh in people's minds, and 2016 was a solid job overall that added to it

On the positive McCain brought me a lot of joy this season
I gave the kid a lot of shit early on due to his tik toks and finger nails, but he in the end proved me wrong by being our best player and showing a ton of heart. He didn't play great today, but then again, no one did. I really really hope he's back because that press conference was tough to watch. You could tell just how much he cares, and I respect the hell out of him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom