Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2022

Dave Clawson has had some very good seasons (4 with 7/8 wins and 11 last year) at Wake and has stayed loyal to them. I have no doubt he’s received some SEC interest and rebuffed it. Elko played in the Ivy League at Penn and coached under Clawson for over a decade. I think there’s reason to believe he might stick around in Durham for a while if compensated appropriately, unless a truly high-level program offers.

This feels like a huge game. After that thrilling 2016 upset over UNC, Duke always floundered in those hyped up ACC night home games under Cutcliffe, turning in one miserable performance after another. We have not won an ACC home game since 2019. Have also lost 7 straight to UVA, probably the most disgusting Cut-era losing streak given the comparable talent levels of the two programs, and they have looked terrible under new HC Tony Elliot this year. If Elko wants to keep building momentum, he has to win this game.

Feels like Elko would be a natural replacement for Lane Kiffin. Completely opposite vibe which is exactly what a school replacing Lane Kiffin will want.

Not only has Duke lost 7 straight to UVA, but a) most/all of those games were uncompetitive and b) the game always sent Duke into a tailspin for 4-5 games (or longer). I would forfeit the Kansas game just to have a healthy team for that one.

The ACC is it's usual shit show. Duke is favored in 3 games on the schedule, at GIT, at BC and home to VPI. Duke has to win those 3, IMO, and then they are going bowling in Elko's first year which no one saw coming.

Is Pitt really just a terrible team that lost to a bad GIT team, or has GIT become a team capable of winning on the road over a top 25 team? It seems more likely that Pitt is terrible, right? Can we beat Pitt and get to 8 wins?

UNC, Miami and Wake should all beat us, but UNC has looked atrocious at times and Miami had one of their worst losses ever 2 weeks ago. Wake seems like the team to beat in the conference, and really should have beaten Clemson. They might get another shot at the Tigers.

Anyone for Duke at 8-4? 7-5?
6-6 seems like the most likely outcome, but 7-5 is certainly realistic at this point.

This might be the worst I have ever seen the Coastal, which is saying something. I don’t think Pitt is very good, but they seem to lose one bizarre game every year. Duke is 1-7 against them since they joined the ACC, even peak Cutcliffe was given fits by the Panthers, so I won’t bank on a win there.

UNC feels very beatable to me. They will score points on us, but that defense is Swiss cheese, and we will have the coaching advantage once again, like we did with Cut against Fedora.

I would be extremely disappointed with anything less than 6 wins. 6-6 would be acceptable, 7-5 very good, 8-4 phenomenal, 9-3 or better and I would demand we sign Elko to a 10 year/100 million dollar extension.

The ACC is it's usual shit show. Duke is favored in 3 games on the schedule, at GIT, at BC and home to VPI. Duke has to win those 3, IMO, and then they are going bowling in Elko's first year which no one saw coming.

Is Pitt really just a terrible team that lost to a bad GIT team, or has GIT become a team capable of winning on the road over a top 25 team? It seems more likely that Pitt is terrible, right? Can we beat Pitt and get to 8 wins?

UNC, Miami and Wake should all beat us, but UNC has looked atrocious at times and Miami had one of their worst losses ever 2 weeks ago. Wake seems like the team to beat in the conference, and really should have beaten Clemson. They might get another shot at the Tigers.

Anyone for Duke at 8-4? 7-5?
6-6 seems like the most likely outcome, but 7-5 is certainly realistic at this point.

Pitt isn't quite as good with Clovis at QB as everyone thought they would be. And yes, UNC is very porous. Miami and Wake are probably out of reach this year. But GaTech, VaTech, and Boston College are very winnable games. If Duke can get lucky and steal a game who knows?

Points per drive is a legit stat for this, and they carved out appropriate data points. Elko impressive.

I think I saw somewhere the other day that if (when) Duke became bowl eligible, this would be the first year ever that all 4 NC ACC schools went to a bowl.

ACC Bowl tie ins!

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

Capital One Orange Bowl
Highest-ranked available ACC team, if it’s not the ACC Champion.

First Tier

Cheez-It Bowl vs Big 12
Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten
Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic
Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic
New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten)
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12

Second Tier

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12

I don't think anyone has to worry about the second tier because there aren't going to be enough teams.

I think I would like Holiday or Sun. Playing a Pac-12 team would be cool. Don’t really want to face a non-P5 team again after the 2017 and 2018 bowls.

Getting a respectable amount of votes in both polls after Week 12 is incredible given the past few years (and a far cry from the old days of the ceremonial Spurrier preseason vote).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom