Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2022

Once the ACC gets raided, IMO this season will help us get a landing spot somewhere. This might wind up being one of the most important seasons in Duke athletics history

I still can't get my mind wrapped around how impressive this turnaround has been.

Our four losses were by a combined 16 points.

Our AVERAGE margin of defeat in ACC games last year was roughly double that.

Cutcliffe went above .500 in conference play twice in 14 seasons.

Elko just did it with a group largely put together of guys who went 0-8 one year ago.

Simply outstanding

David Cutcliffe was the man to rebuild a program that had been the worst in the country BY FAR from 1995-2007, give us the extremely fun peak years of 2012-2015, and offer desperately needed respectability, stability and credibility for over a decade, until everything fell to pieces after the jump pass in 2019.

Though I hoped he might be in the mid-2010s, Cut was not the one to get us to Stanford 2010-2015 level, with numerous conference championship and major bowl game appearances. I think if Mike Elko hangs around, he can be that guy. The ACC is as wide open as it’s been in a decade with Clemson finally falling off, and nobody else on the verge of becoming a juggernaut. I’m already excited for 2023.

Oh I do remember. We were not even FCS quality some years. If Cut had retired after 2018, I'm sure we'd have erected a statue for him.

I think Cut deserves a statue even with how poorly things ended. He left Elko a great QB and a solid roster. The talent level, even in 2021, was just so much higher than back in 2007.

Duke finished with one more point scored than UNC’s vaunted offense in ACC play. Incredible. Kevin Johns was also a wizard this year.

Hope I'm not being a bowl game jinx, but...

First time since 1953 Duke went through a season without a loss by double-digits.

My father was 4 years old and Ike was in his first year as President

That is an insane stat. Even those great early 1960s Bill Murray teams didn’t keep every game close? Wowwww.

This team is IMO just behind 1989 (because of ACC title) and 2013 as the best Duke teams since the Murray era.

Call me crazy, but I believe we can contend for a league title as early as next year if enough things go right. Heck, we were sooooo close to finding out this season

2014 is right up there for me too. We were a missed Ross Martin 40 yard kick vs VT away from repeating as Coastal champs and playing a much worse FSU team in the ACC title. I think we’d have lost, but given them a game as they didn’t blow anybody out that year.

2018 also could’ve been special with better coaching. 7-5 but favored in 4 losses. Huge missed opportunity to make it back to Charlotte with DJ under center.

Post-Murray tiers I think go:

Tier 1 - 1989, 1994, 2013, 2014, 2022
Tier 2 - 1988 (didn’t make a bowl at 7-3-1, things were different back then), 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018
Tier 3 - all the various 4-6 win seasons with no bowls
Tier 4 - the many 0-3 win seasons

Post-Murray tiers I think go:

Tier 1 - 1989, 1994, 2013, 2014, 2022
Tier 2 - 1988 (didn’t make a bowl at 7-3-1, things were different back then), 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018
Tier 3 - all the various 4-6 win seasons with no bowls
Tier 4 - the many 0-3 win seasons

Good list

IMO, for a Duke team to clearly separate itself, we would need to have a good enough season to get to, and win, a NY6 bowl.

That would unquestionably put them at #1 post-Murray, and would be one of the best teams in Duke history, period.

For the first time, I believe we have a man who can get it done.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom