Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Incoming - Maluach, Flagg, Ngongba, Evans, Kon, Harris

Conceivable returns - Stewart, Foster, Proctor, Mitchell, Schutt

Unlikely returns (pro or transfer) - Roach, McCain, Power, Reeves, Blakes

My thoughts - Schutt should be in a better position to contribute than Harris in Fall 2024, and with the rough makeup of the team, shooting is needed. There is a place for him. Harris will need time.

As others have already posted, a rotation of Mitch-Flagg-KM-Stew at the 4/5 looks great and it would seem that minutes would/should not be much of an issue in such a scenario.

If Proctor, Roach & McCain all leave, I would think the staff should go to the portal for a backup pg. Might be fucked if only 1 primary ballhandler returns.

Is Ngongba's injury a long term issue? I've not been following his recovery.

Last edited:
I think Schutt, Power, and Reeves are almost certainly going in the portal. Blakes seems more likely than not as well. Mitchell would be an interesting name to keep an eye on too wrt the portal IMO, depending on how other things shake out. I will say, Power’s recent minutes increase and improvement makes me think he’s less of a certainty than Schutt, but don’t think it’ll ultimately matter.

The guard situation will be the most interesting and impactful going forward. Sure sounds like Roach is ready to move on. Gotta assume McCain goes pro. Do we want Proctor AND Foster? Just one of the two? I worry both, with all the others we project to have, could be too many mouths to feed. What happens if Roach and/or McCain decide they wanna stay? In that scenario I’m guessing Foster ends up in the portal and who the hell knows with Proctor.

As soon as it became well known that Duke was heavily involved with Maluach I assumed the staff had communicated that to Ngongba and that he was either gonna redshirt given the severity of the injury or they told him they wanted him to take a backseat for a season. Not concerned, for now, with losing him.

I doubt Harris plays much next season and think he has the makings of a transfer candidate in the future.

Sorry for rambling. Just my current read on things from the outside.

If necessary, it would be wise of Scheyer to donate a sizable chunk of his salary to Duke's NIL to bring back Roach and McCain.

With NIL no longer reviewable by the NCAA, there really there is no longer a 13 scholarship limit any more. NIL funds can just pay for the tuition on behalf of the the player. The only limit will be the playing time available.

The frustrating part is heading into next season, UNC is in a great spot to be a 'spoiler' for Duke again. They won't go into the season with the hype that Duke will, but they will be title contenders, IMO. RJ Davis, Harrison Ingram, Cadeau, and others will return, they have two top 10 recruits coming in, and Davis uses the portal well.

Duke NIL needs to step up and make Roach and McCain offers that cannot be refused.

Roach-McCain-someone-Flagg-Maluach my god
This

We've already seen the "Duke team with amazing frontcourt but can't shoot" in 2019

Hopefully Jon doesn't let that roster construction mishap happen again
If Mitchell returns, you have to play Mitchell-Flagg Maluach. I hate the spacing, but you just have to try to win with the #1 defense.

Also, I don't think it would be as bad as 2019 because the players at the 1 and 2 will be able to shoot. That Duke team had Reddish underachieving and the version of Tre that couldn't shoot yet.

Foster is a 40% shooter (on low volume, but even so). Harris and Knueppel have made their reputation on shooting. You still theoretically have Schutt, though who knows. If you return one of McCain, Proctor, or Roach, you at least have two shooters out there at all times. 2019 had 0.5 most of the time.

I think Schutt, Power, and Reeves are almost certainly going in the portal. Blakes seems more likely than not as well. Mitchell would be an interesting name to keep an eye on too wrt the portal IMO, depending on how other things shake out. I will say, Power’s recent minutes increase and improvement makes me think he’s less of a certainty than Schutt, but don’t think it’ll ultimately matter.

The guard situation will be the most interesting and impactful going forward. Sure sounds like Roach is ready to move on. Gotta assume McCain goes pro. Do we want Proctor AND Foster? Just one of the two? I worry both, with all the others we project to have, could be too many mouths to feed. What happens if Roach and/or McCain decide they wanna stay? In that scenario I’m guessing Foster ends up in the portal and who the hell knows with Proctor.

As soon as it became well known that Duke was heavily involved with Maluach I assumed the staff had communicated that to Ngongba and that he was either gonna redshirt given the severity of the injury or they told him they wanted him to take a backseat for a season. Not concerned, for now, with losing him.

I doubt Harris plays much next season and think he has the makings of a transfer candidate in the future.

Sorry for rambling. Just my current read on things from the outside.
Agree with the transfers except would probably swap Blakes with Power. With the pro decisions, you just have find a way to return two of Proctor/Roach/Mitchell/McCain. Final big dominos where you just have to find a way if you're Jon.

I doubt the problem of 3 returning is one we'd have, but we'd be so loaded that it's not worth worrying about anything in that scenario, honestly.

That Gatorade state players of the year post was already funny because of which players did/didn't get "guard" next to their "forward". It's also interesting looking at the heights and weights -- which I assume are all self-reported, but still.

Evans: 6'7" 185
Flagg: 6'9" 195
Harris: 6'6 195
Knueppel: 6'8" 218

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member