Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Kyle “Flip” Filipowski

This was the stuff I watched last summer where I thought he was straight-up Mason 2.0.

I will say that, since then, I've watched part of two of his high school games, and he really is a little more fluid and side-to-side athletic than Mason, and a better ball-handler (not that Mason was terrible). He was the big on the 3x3 team. On his high school team, he's more of a point-forward, and often playing along his brother who's even more of a post player.

But in terms of scoring... yeah, I'd expect that he'll give you stuff mainly close to the basket, or a set jumper with a bit of time, but it's not like he's going to be shooting threes off the dribble.

His 3PT shot seems like the do or die question. If he's a legit threat to take a few per game and make them at a decent clip, I can buy him existing alongside Lively a little more. If not, it seems he might have gone from underrated to a little overrated at this point. Not sure he looks quick enough to do a ton of operating from the perimeter at this level, especially if he's not playing the 5.

I'm not seeing Mason. Way more fluid at everything he does. Entering college, Mason was basically just a tall athletic guy who could pass and dribble well for his size. His footwork was bad. His touch around the basket was bad. His jumper was non-existent.

Well, Flip is traveling in quite a few post moves in that video. Anyway, I honestly think I was more impressed with Lively banging down that last second 3 than anything Flip showed in the 3 on 3.
It at least seems like one or both of these guys will be able to knock down a 3 in college, but remains to be seen if it's a Wndell Carter level or a Paolo Banchero level.

Hopefully it's Wendell Carter level but on Paolo's number of attempts. Paolo is taking almost three times as many as Carter did.

What happened to this player? This is why I thought we were getting Ryan Kelly but with more ball handling.

His jump shot looks more fluid in this video. His athleticism looks much better as well. It's like he immediately lost all his skill when he committed to Duke. Every time I see him now, he looks like if Marshall Plumlee had been trying to expand his perimeter game.

I still believe he can hit open 3s off the catch if he has 1.5 seconds to get his shot off. That's all he really does in this video outside of 5 feet, it's just that they strung together 7 in a row to make him look like a shooter.

Maybe Flip has bulked up a bit since these highlights, too. His upper body looks stronger in his senior highlights.

The Gallinari comp was probably always a crappy one, though. Even in this video, they show him doing a lot of damage on putbacks. I still harbor hope he can do that part for us.

It does almost seem like the extra muscle made him more of a plodder and less fluid of an athlete. Some of the drives and finishes in that video show a level of smoothness and body control that made me think he might be more of a true stretch 4.

I still believe he can hit open 3s off the catch if he has 1.5 seconds to get his shot off. That's all he really does in this video outside of 5 feet, it's just that they strung together 7 in a row to make him look like a shooter.

Maybe Flip has bulked up a bit since these highlights, too. His upper body looks stronger in his senior highlights.

The Gallinari comp was probably always a crappy one, though. Even in this video, they show him doing a lot of damage on putbacks. I still harbor hope he can do that part for us.
Yeah, but look at the form. Now he seems to have almost a knuckleball, whereas in this video the release looks smooth.

Also, most stretch bigs are catch-and-shoot. I didn't ever expect him to be hitting off-the-dribble threes. I was hopeful that he could be a pick-and-pop big, however.

Is it reasonable to believe Ryan Young will be the better option for Duke this season if for whatever reason Duke needs the skills Filipowski truly possesses to be on the court? I feel like if the need is “big man who rebounds, makes open layups, and can stand near the basket with arms up on defense, but can’t do anything else,” that might be a battle Young wins over Filipowski for one more year at least.

Probably depends just how bad of a defender Young is, and whether Filipowski can at least be enough of a shooting threat to pull his defender out. Based solely on Young's face, I'm assuming he's a short-armed non-presence at the rim who also can't move his feet well laterally, and he's also apparently a total non shooter.

Ryan Young's neck is roughly as thick as Proctor's entire body. He looks like he should be playing football. I assume that's he's horribly slow laterally. I've also read that he's a terrible pick and roll defender, so this isn't pure speculation.

Filipowski actually looked good on defense and on the boards when I watched him. I think the most likely outcome, if he's not as good as his ranking, is is that Lively plays 28 minutes at the 5 with Mitchell or Grandison at the 4, and Flip covers most of the other available minutes. Young plays Bates Jones minutes.

He's looked really good rebounding so far, which is not something I expected.

He also seems pretty close to being a pretty effective midpost scorer. He's had some really nice moves where's he's gotten close enough to pick up his dribble and spin towards the basket and finish through the defender, and he's either gotten fouled or just barely missed. It's kind of the same way Zion manufactured points, except he just starts really high off the ground instead of jumping there.

His rim finishing needs serious work before I want him getting post touches or trying to drive into the paint.

I've been most impressed with his passing, defense, and shooting in that order. And I might even say that the defense could be #1. I feel vindicated by my take on him being a good defender in the Hoop Summit where he played an awful offensive game. Of course, I backed off that take because people said he wasn't a good defender (probably solely because he's white, large, and awkward looking).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom