Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/20

Re: Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/

I watched the entire second half twice already. It was both a masterpiece by Duke and a resounding failure by Roy. That was the worst coaching of his career.

Is there a replay of The ACC Network version available that includes Roy's halftime comments? I haven't seen anyone mention it, and I'm at the point where I almost believe I imagined it, but when I saw it live, his comment was "They're making too many 3's and we need to start making 3's, too" or words to that effect. I just about fell over laughing when he said it.

Yeah, he said that.

On my rewatch I realized that they scored 3 pts in the final 4:45. That was the #6 offense in the country at the time. Obviously, it's impossible to maintain that for a full game. But in a theoretical world where we could have, they would have scored 26 pts or so for the game.

I rewatched last night, but I started at that 68-60 point. (I didn't want to watch Allen get fouled with no call three plays in a row.) So much fun. I know it was just one half, but it's amazing how much better one HoF coach is than the other in this rivalry.

Thinking about how super-elite teams have fared over the years...

Based on computer rankings and NBA talent, and random subjective factors, I'd consider these teams "super-elite" since 1999 - all were great on computers, had at least 3 players get real playing time in the NBA, were consensus favorites to win the title and were generally awesome in my personal opinion:

1999 Duke
2002 Duke
2006 Florida (won)
2007 Florida (won)
2008 Kansas (won)
2012 Kentucky (won)
2015 Kentucky

If we believe Duke will get to the level of these teams, and Amile will make the difference in getting to that level, then maybe it is worth it for him to come back. Will next year's team have the equivalent of Anthony Davis, Joakim Noah/Al Horford, or the 7 NBA players in the rotation that 2008 Kansas had?

Probably not, but maybe. We would have at least 4 future NBA guys in Giles, Tatum, Jackson and Allen. Maybe Tatum and/or Giles become NBA all stars. Not sure if Jackson or Allen will ever start there. Thornton and Kennard could get us to 6 future NBA guys. I laugh at the thought of Jeter ever playing in an ACC game, let alone an NBA game, but maybe he figures it out next season, so that could be 7. Don't think the NBA covets what Matt, Amile or Javin have to offer physically, but the corpse of Steve Blake is getting real minutes for a playoff contender right now, so who knows.

Strangely the 2010 Duke team had Kelly, Singler, Mason, Miles, Dawkins, Nolan, Seth (redshirt), Thomas all play at least some in the NBA. Granted, a couple of those guys didn't make it. And granted, only two of those who did are actually good (Mason and Thomas). But it's hard to gauge NBA talent. 2010 is the team we think of as our "lease talented title team" and yet, if it hadn't been for ill-timed injuries to Zoubek and Scheyer we could be looking at 10 NBA players.

Anus is tight around the basket. This is good for us.

The worst thing about this game/5players is that I think it will reverse our skyrocketing kenpom D. Up 60 sports from the nadir 2 weeks ago.

I can't get on board with a line of thinking that says going from (Plumlee, Ingram) frontcourt to (Giles, Amile) would not make a positive impact defensively. Sorry, that's "eye test", but i've never given a shit about the highly flawed DRtg. What's the logic that Giles/Amile wouldn't be better than what we have? We are basically at Hood/Jabari level D right now, and yet went to elite the next year replacing them with Winslow/Okafor. And no way in hell Giles will be as poor on D as Okafor was, and I imagine 5th year senior Amile will be better or at least Winslow's equal. And you'd have to think that Thornton + Matt is much better than any two defensive guards we started in 2015, if for some reason Allen doesn't come back. I think it's SUPER premature to declare the defense as crap just because we're not running a UK super depth shotblocker system.

And since Amile would come back a shell of himself from a conditioning standpoint, it's all pointless to talk about going back to 9% or w/e odds.

So Matt Jones might play today

DurhamSon said:
And since Amile would come back a shell of himself from a conditioning standpoint, it's all pointless to talk about going back to 9% or w/e odds.

This is the thing that makes me least interested in having Amile come back this year. I think he'd be in terrible shape, and out of sync with the rest of the team. I believe at this point it's just too late for him to be effectively re-inserted into the lineup and we'd be better off getting whatever use we can out of Jeter. It would be nice if K could be a bit more Roy-ish, and also throw Obi and Vrank on the court for a minute or two, but we know that's not going to happen. Yes, I know this is a shitty year in college basketball and would be an ideal time to steal another title, but I just don't feel like adding Amile this late would have much effect on that possibility.

Matt Jones with the big "Fuck you" to Amile Jefferson.

Who is crippled old Matt Jones going to guard? Pitino?

DurhamSon said:
I can't get on board with a line of thinking that says going from (Plumlee, Ingram) frontcourt to (Giles, Amile) would not make a positive impact defensively. Sorry, that's "eye test", but i've never given a shit about the highly flawed DRtg. What's the logic that Giles/Amile wouldn't be better than what we have? We are basically at Hood/Jabari level D right now, and yet went to elite the next year replacing them with Winslow/Okafor. And no way in hell Giles will be as poor on D as Okafor was, and I imagine 5th year senior Amile will be better or at least Winslow's equal. And you'd have to think that Thornton + Matt is much better than any two defensive guards we started in 2015, if for some reason Allen doesn't come back. I think it's SUPER premature to declare the defense as crap just because we're not running a UK super depth shotblocker system.

I'm sure going from Plumlee at C and Ingram at PF to Jefferson at C and Giles at PF would be fine defensively. Problem is whether the offense drops with two guys on the court who don't have 3pt range. I'm assuming K goes with Tatum at PF.

Good run. Heroic effort. Hope we never have to go through that again. Duke should never be down to 3 good players and Jeter by the end of a game.

Pagliuca in before Obi and Vrank is awesome. K making a statement.

There was so much wrong with that game, but at least we saw Chase Jeter playing decently for multiple minutes. Too bad he had employ some weird sort of talent vampirism on Ingram to achieve them.

To wrap up my epically long thoughts on the Amile situation, I think watching this group try to win that game with DT, Matt and Amile all injured should've made it clear how K will treat the situation if Amile ever feels comfortable enough to play this season. K is not going to watch these guys die out there when Amile can help them, so the whole cost/benefit analysis is just a mental exercise. Never going to matter. If Amile is feeling fine, K will play him.

Too bad Amile refuses to suit up.

Unfortunate way to lose after being up 13. As rome said, almost wish we were losing most of the game, like expected.

Also love Goodman saying that missing Jefferson, Jones, Thornton and Allen proves that Duke should have had more depth.

Yes, you should always expect to have 3-4 ineligible players at any given time.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom