Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/20

Re: Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/

I picture Marshall and Amile like this right now:

Marshall

ES2vqW2.jpg

Amile

1333657330.jpg

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
DurhamSon said:
There's no reason to think Kentucky will be a 2015 level juggernaut unless you think they can replicate the performance of KAT (best prospect in 5-10 years, dominating defender and stretch PF from day one), and junior WCS (DPOY quality shotblocker and rim protector from day one) with two freshman powerforwads in Gabriel and Bam? I don't see that. What's the distinction between UK 2014? They had a glut of bigman PFs/Cs that year too. Though guard play should be better, but who knows.

Ulis is putting up better numbers than Grayson Allen this season, much better numbers than Tyus Jones last season, and is probably coming back instead of being drafted in the 2nd round. That would be a gigantic upgrade from either Harrison twin.

Derek Willis is Matt Jones if Matt Jones played exactly how we want him to play on offense (70% of his shots are 3s), was actually a transcendent catch and shoot guy (61% 2pt, 44% 3pt, 92% FT), was much bigger (6-9) and made a much more tangible impact on defense (18% dreb, 2.2% steal, 3.4% block, 95 drating). Willis actually has a higher BPM than Ulis this season, tops on Kentucky, and Calipari has only played him 19 mpg in order to keep the NBA from thinking of him as a viable draft candidate. Neither Kentucky 2014 nor Kentucky 2015 had an upperclass glue guy anywhere close to what Willis has been this season.

Kentucky doesn't need their bigs to be Towns and WCS to dominate people next season. They just need bigs who can rebound and defend decently, and I'm sure Calipari can find 80 minutes of that kind of big man play among his many options. In limited minutes, Isaac Humphries has already shown that ability, and Marcus Lee has as well. Anyone who goes to Kentucky is going to rebound and defend.

Kentucky won't look anything like 2015 next season, but they should dominate in a different way, with the best PG in the country and a killer version of Matt Jones. I have no idea if their #1 recruiting class, featuring guards who are #4 and #5 on the overall composite rankings, will be like the Harrison twins or more like Justise Winslow. I'm going to guess those #4 and #5 guys, Fox and Monk, will be good.

I really don't think Duke is going to be better than 4-1 odds to win the title at the beginning of next season, especially with another great team out there. If Allen leaves, cut that to 8-1.

I haven't really understood your bullishness on next year's UK, but admittedly haven't watched much of them this year. That said, seems they're bringing in a recruiting class with a relatively equal amount of great, impact players as we are, so call that a wash I guess. They're keeping one great player in Tyler Ulis, a quality glue guy (Willis) and a senior big (Marcus Lee).

You're better with #s than me, so I'm probably missing something, but why do you think Ulis is putting up better numbers than Allen? They play different positions so a bit hard to do apples to apples, but Allen has a slightly higher ORating (128.7-126.7), a higher FT rate (49.5-45.1), a much higher 3P % (41.7-32.2), a higher 2 PT % (52.5-50.5), and obviously then a higher eFG by 7 points. He is slightly less accurate from the FT line.

I'd want to dig into it more, but next year's Duke with Allen and NO Jefferson feels like a better team than UK. That's the base case we all thought would exist 60 days ago, so I'm defaulting back to that, but understand there are multiple combinations of Jefferson and Allen staying or leaving that could make us better or worse than the base case. And if we feel like that team is one garbage-man type big short because we aren't getting enough out of Jeter-Obi-Vrank next year, we should just add a 5th year transfer to fill that role. Part of me thinks we're better off doing that since we'd be looking for a very specific piece to complete the puzzle, and I'd kind of rather it be an experienced piece if we're going to have one junior and one senior on the roster.

For Ulis vs. Allen, I was just looking at the conference stats, where Ulis is better in the big picture things like PER, WS, WS/40, Orating, DRating.

But Ulis's conference sucks. And sorry to be a dumb stat hater, but no kenpom SOS argument is going to make me change my opinion on that.

Quite a turn around here. We've gone from..

physicsfactor said:
I think this is a huge game for Duke. This should be our best chance left for a good win for the committee (can't believe we are having to worry about that). Let's hope we don't see a Grayson vs UK repeat.

To...

rome8180 wrote:
I don't want to be a 1 seed with only 5 guys.

in the matter of 10 days.

I'm not using Ulis vs. Allen to say Ulis is better than Allen - it's just to use Allen as a benchmark to judge a guard, since Duke fans would all agree that Allen is one of the best in the country. Ulis is certainly that as well, as his overall numbers hold up against Allen's, plus his chances of coming back next year are higher than Allen's. I don't think most people understand how great he has been, because Kentucky was a joke for such a long stretch of the season and left for dead.

In the end, if Amile comes back this season, I think the Kenpom preseason rankings of Duke and Kentucky 1-2 will be correct in that those are the two best teams in the country. I think those will be Kenpom's preseason top 2 next season also, with or without Amile, and I think Kenpom will be correct again. Hoping for Amile to redshirt this season, and thereby rooting against Duke being the best team in the country this season, so that the team next season can go from a 20% to 25% chance to win it all, is not making sense to me.

I am also not putting Kentucky on a pedestal as the sole juggernaut next season. My point is, with two juggernauts, there really are zero juggernauts in terms of chances to win the national title. If Kentucky didn't exist next season, Duke could be something like 35-40% to win the title. If Duke didn't exist next season, Kentucky could have those odds. But because both of them will exist next season in some extremely strong form or another, neither of them will be better than ~25% to win the title. The entire field isn't going to be under 50%.

In keeping with the discussion, I have been rooting for Amile to redshirt for the purpose of Duke being great next year. However, the last 3 games have convinced me that this year's team, with Amile, can contend for a title. The team that lost 6 close games with and without Amile needed to learn how to win some tough games against top comp. They've done that. The last three games in a row are as tough as any three game stretch that any team could expect to face in the NCAAT.

With Amile, Duke can win 6 of them.

Duke is a 7-point underdog at Louisville.

Have to believe it's known and certain that neither Matt nor Amile are playing. That line would be no higher than 4 if Duke had 6 players instead of 5, based on the line from the first meeting.

Well, Thornton certainly did not foul Berry. Weirdly it doesn't even look like he touched the ball. Must have hit the very bottom of it.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Duke is a 7-point underdog at Louisville.

Have to believe it's known and certain that neither Matt nor Amile are playing. That line would be no higher than 4 if Duke had 6 players instead of 5, based on the line from the first meeting.

I think this game would be very winnable even with 5 players and Chase Jeter if we had, say a full week off. But I assume after this latest stretch, we're going to battle but be emotionally and physically spent.

If this is the annual game where we get crushed and K just chills on the bench, so be it, I wouldnt be upset. But despite our limitations, it doesn't fit the typical profile for that type of game. Usually, in the annual road blowout we're slight favs and us losing at all is considered a mild surprise.

Also, they are playing without Anus. Does that matter or is Anus bad anyway?

Anus is an elite rim protector, and that's about it.

Considering how Allen fares against those, it may not be minor.

As for Amile this year vs. next year -

Not convinced the loose math of "he increases our title chances by 5% next year" is accurate or based on anything concrete. We'd go from a team with one potential fatal flaw to one without any (besides K's inability to coach defense).

Also, one of the things we and Amile missed out on when he got injured was a full senior season. He looked ready to have one those legendary senior years. As much as I want to see him increase our title chances, I also want to see him in as many games in peak form as possible.

I think the issue of only having 5 players who aren't hugely negative is weighing on the line much more than intangibles. The dropoff from having 7 players or more to having 6 players isn't significant - you need to have an unlikely event happen for it to matter, like someone being in severe enough foul trouble to drastically cut his minutes, or an injury during the game. Otherwise, no one needs to play more than about 34 minutes in a 6-man rotation, and that's normal playing time. The dropoff from 6 to 5 is much more of an issue - either some terrible player (in our case, Jeter) is going to need to play a lot or several players are going to need to be without normal rest during the game.

NBA teams lose about 3 points on their point spreads on the 2nd game of back to backs with travel, due to how messed up that is for their bodies, so it makes sense that Duke is losing 3 points for being forced to do unnatural physical things, or for having a terrible player (or multiple terribles, if Obi and/or Vrank play) suck up 20+ minutes.

Jeter in ACC games:

50 minutes
negative 2.1 PER
negative 0.009 win shares per 40 minutes

Obi in ACC games:

6 minutes
negative 20 PER
negative 0.335 win shares per 40 minutes

Vrankovic in ACC games:

1 minute
negative 82 PER
negative 1.035 win shares per 40 minutes

Hilarious. But terrible too. When a player as good as Lebron or Curry misses a game, the team gets docked about 3 points on the line due to the dropoff to replacement level players. A replacement level player on any level has a 15 PER. Jeter is way below a replacement level player. Obi and Vrank are completely unplayable, and it's safe to say K agrees with that, since he doesn't play them. 20 minutes of Jeter to give our 5 good players normal rest is similar to going from normal minutes for Lebron or Curry to 5 extra minutes for each of the Cavs or Warriors normal rotation players.

I wish Jeter, a consensus top 20 high school prospect in the world last year, was a halfway decent player. But here we are. He is one of several Duke scholarship players who will be watching from the bench while their teammates wreck themselves because those guys sitting on their asses can't even bring themselves to stand in one place near the basket with their arms straight up, on defense and on offense. Amile feels too much pain to literally stand in place trying to reach for basketballs coming off the rim, walk down the court, repeat. Jeter, Obi and Vrank are too incompetent to do it.

rome8180 said:
As for Amile this year vs. next year -

Not convinced the loose math of "he increases our title chances by 5% next year" is accurate or based on anything concrete. We'd go from a team with one potential fatal flaw to one without any (besides K's inability to coach defense).

Also, one of the things we and Amile missed out on when he got injured was a full senior season. He looked ready to have one those legendary senior years. As much as I want to see him increase our title chances, I also want to see him in as many games in peak form as possible.

I'd estimate he increases our chances by 25% next year, not 5%. That's a lot. It may not register as a lot when someone sees 20% increase to 25%, but going from having $100 to $125 is much better than going from having $100 to $105. One player isn't going to increase an already-great team's chances of winning a crapshoot single elimination tournament by much more than 25%. I think I'm being generous to Amile, considering the decent chance of Duke's optimal lineup not even including him next season (Jackson/Thornton, Allen, Kennard/Jones, Tatum, Giles for the spacing K usually wants).

The defense issue is big. Duke's not going to be very good defensively next season. Again, I can't see this being a Kentucky 2015 season when Duke is bad defensively. We're effectively replacing Ingram with Tatum, and Plumlee with Giles. That's just not going to be a positive defensively, and Duke is bad defensively even with Ingram and Plumlee. The improvement by the returning players should make up for some or all of it, but Duke isn't suddenly going to become a great defensive team next season.

Setting a cap of 35% to win the title is based on Pomeroy's data. That's the highest chances a team has ever had going into the Tournament since Pomeroy started doing his log5s. I can't see a bad defensive team being the one to break that ceiling. There are other factors that matter, like not having as much competition as Kentucky had last season - Wisconsin, Arizona and Virginia were also great teams going in, and next season there probably won't be 3 other teams that good to compete with Duke. However, this was neutralized by having Wisconsin and Arizona in the same region, where only one of them could ever be in Kentucky's way. We also should consider Vegas setting 11/10 odds on Kentucky pre-tournament - that's nearly 50%. However, Vegas obviously needs to imply higher chances than reality for each team in order to make any money, and futures bets are inherently sucker bets since dumber people generally bet them (smart bettors would simply bet each game and roll the winnings over to the next game's bet for that team if they wanted to back them to win the title). I think 50% on the Vegas futures bet is in line with 35% in reality.

So start with 35% as the max for Duke next season, with Allen and Jefferson. Then look at the baseline for a 1-seed, which has historically been 15%. Let's say Duke next season will be significantly better than a typical 1-seed, relative to the field. This seems reasonable, since everyone but Jerry Meyer seems to agree that Giles and Tatum (along with Josh Jackson) are head and shoulders above all other freshmen next season. But I don't buy Duke being the best team in several years when the defense can't be expected to be great. A reasonable compromise is pegging Duke right between 15% and 35% with Allen and Jefferson.

Without Jefferson, isn't Duke still supposed to be better relative to the field than a usual 1-seed? That would peg them somewhere above 15%. Lineup is probably Jackson/Thornton, Allen, Kennard/Jones, Tatum, Giles. An injury to Giles is crippling, but that seems to be Amile's greatest value next season - insurance against a Giles injury, since the replacement options are otherwise so awful.

Even if we think Duke without Jefferson is only as good as a usual 1-seed, and even if we think Duke with Jefferson is at the level of Kentucky 2015 (so we're being as generous to Amile as realistically possible), Duke's chances go from 15% to 35%. That's a giant impact, but it's not as big as Amile coming back this season, which I estimated at taking Duke from 1.5% to 9%.

The bottom line in my mind is that, with or without Amile, it's very unlikely for Duke to win the national title in either season. If college basketball had an NBA-style playoffs, where one of the 2-3 best teams always wins the championship, this would be different. I would definitely want to maximize Duke's chances in a top 3 season like next season, at the expense of a non-top 3 season like this season. Having the best team going into the Tournament doesn't mean much in college basketball, so going from elite to super-elite isn't as helpful as it might feel like - in 14 complete Kenpom seasons, the pre-Tournament #1 team has made the Final Four 6 times and won the national title 3 times. We root for the dominant program in the major sport where being the dominant program brings the least happiness.

That makes sense, though I argue that while proportionally an increase from 1.5% to 9% is larger than 15% to 35%, it isn't better for what we're talking about. I mean, a increase from 0% to 1% is infinite, but it doesn't give you a reasonable chance of winning something.

Anyway, I really came here to recommend that everyone with the means rewatch the last 14 minutes of that game. I wasn't sure if it would be compelling or just frustrating and ugly. But it's an absolute masterpiece on Duke's end. Would probably be as good as the last 13 minutes of the title game if the stakes were as high. If you want to save time, you can start when the score is 68-60 (with about 7 minutes left).

Re: Louisville - Rick Pitino is 25-1 in rematch games at home. I know that history doesn't influence the future that way, but that is a daunting stat. Minimally it probably says something about his ability to adjust and motivate.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom