Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Luke Kennard

bdotling said:
After being so consistent during the season he was absolute **** in the tourney

College coaches are incredibly poor at adapting. Both in game, and from game to game. Going in to the season, the thinking was that Grayson would be our star guard, with Jones as the quality senior, and Frank as a possible breakout. The last two things didn't really come to pass, and the first thing really didn't come to pass. But it took until Grayson sat out that late game vs Miami (I think) for coaches to GET IT. Basically, pre season, coaches expected Allen to be the star, and so they planned on stopping him. It took a very long time for coaches to adjust to the reality that Allen was having a bad year. When they finally did, late in the season, they shifted their perimeter defense to stop Kennard. Before that change, Kennard drew the other team's second best perimeter defender, while the best defender was assigned to Allen. Vs sub optimal defenders, and defenses not geared to stopping him, Kennard feasted. Once D's began to focus on him, they shut him down. He's very like JJ in that a athletic defender, with length and effort, can really neutralize Kennard. He can't impose his will on a game. His real value will/would/should have been as a secondary outlet. But he wanted to be the star, and K let him. K took the path of least resistance to regular season wins. He did this last year with Grayson, when Ingram should have been the focus. It is what it is.

Gonna institute a word per post limit if you are going to post here.

That could have been condensed to 6 sentences and maybe 3 lines. Holy fuck

Wait, you're suggesting that opposing coaches didn't realize until the NCAAT that Kennard was having a better year than Allen? Please don't post stupid shit here.

PatrickYates said:
bdotling said:
After being so consistent during the season he was absolute **** in the tourney

College coaches are incredibly poor at adapting. Both in game, and from game to game. Going in to the season, the thinking was that Grayson would be our star guard, with Jones as the quality senior, and Frank as a possible breakout. The last two things didn't really come to pass, and the first thing really didn't come to pass. But it took until Grayson sat out that late game vs Miami (I think) for coaches to GET IT. Basically, pre season, coaches expected Allen to be the star, and so they planned on stopping him. It took a very long time for coaches to adjust to the reality that Allen was having a bad year. When they finally did, late in the season, they shifted their perimeter defense to stop Kennard. Before that change, Kennard drew the other team's second best perimeter defender, while the best defender was assigned to Allen. Vs sub optimal defenders, and defenses not geared to stopping him, Kennard feasted. Once D's began to focus on him, they shut him down. He's very like JJ in that a athletic defender, with length and effort, can really neutralize Kennard. He can't impose his will on a game. His real value will/would/should have been as a secondary outlet. But he wanted to be the star, and K let him. K took the path of least resistance to regular season wins. He did this last year with Grayson, when Ingram should have been the focus. It is what it is.
*Insert Billy Madison quote*

physicsfactor said:
Wait, you're suggesting that opposing coaches didn't realize until the NCAAT that Kennard was having a better year than Allen? Please don't post stupid **** here.

Coaches don't have time to focus on Duke until it is the next game. They aren't sitting around watching all of the games played by the other schools in the conference. We worship K, and it takes him forever to adjust once the season starts. So, yes, it took them time not only to realize that Kennard was far better than they realized, but also that Allen was having a bad season and could thus be guarded by the worse defender vis a vis Kennard. Once defenses fully switched to focusing on guarding Kennard, he got way less effective. That will continue next season at Duke if he's still here.

PatrickYates said:
physicsfactor said:
Wait, you're suggesting that opposing coaches didn't realize until the NCAAT that Kennard was having a better year than Allen? Please don't post stupid **** here.

Coaches don't have time to focus on Duke until it is the next game. They aren't sitting around watching all of the games played by the other schools in the conference. We worship K, and it takes him forever to adjust once the season starts. So, yes, it took them time not only to realize that Kennard was far better than they realized, but also that Allen was having a bad season and could thus be guarded by the worse defender vis a vis Kennard. Once defenses fully switched to focusing on guarding Kennard, he got way less effective. That will continue next season at Duke if he's still here.

You may want to read a bit more over here before you make statements like the bolded one. We do not worship K. K is very good at some things, not at all good at others. Overall we probably question about 70% of what K does these days, from recruiting to coaching philosophy.

On point, Duke needs at least one of Kennard or Allen to come back simply because our roster will be even more gutted without them.

Kennard was ACCT MVP (yes, I know Tatum was probably more deserving, but Kennard played very well in that tournament). He had a bad final weekend. You're saying that Luke played bad because coaches FINALLY started focusing on him. I'm saying you are stupid.

The ACC coaches must be extraordinarily bad if that's the case. They had a full season to adapt and couldn't do what Troy and South Carolina's coaches managed to do with only a few days to prepare.

Phil Cunningham >>>>> Pitino, Williams, Brey

thewiseben said:
Ugh, when did we let Yates start posting over here? Go back to TDD.

Done. TDD folded like a cheap suit. They banned me for B S reasons. When I pointed that out, and outlined the consequences (you morons are almost criminally easy to manipulate), they folded. A guy picked on me, so I sent him a PM and told him to f off. He then ran to the Mods, over a private message. DM backed him up. Some, or you know, all the other, Mods agreed with me.

Enjoy you echo chamber and your 10 ish posts a week. When a tree falls in the woods, or posts on Duke Forum, does it matter. No. Because no one knows it happened.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom