Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Luke Kennard

Another recruit shocks the world.

ETA: I should clarify that I am excited, despite my drab, sarcastic response to the news.

I feel like he's better than Grayson Allen at everything... which is kind of awkward.

People keep calling him a decent to good defender, so that's nice for kfensive purposes.

In a few years we'll be starting guys named Grayson, Luke, and Chase. Trying to get the lineup as preppy sounding as possible. Which somehow correlates to better defense.

DurhamSon said:
In a few years we'll be starting guys named Grayson, Luke, and Chase. Trying to get the lineup as preppy sounding as possible. Which somehow correlates to better defense.

Sounds like a law firm

I'm getting a vibe like he is still going to grow a couple of inches, like Mike Dunleavy. It's just a hunch, I'm not an actual doctor.

DurhamSon said:

Have to compete with Kennedy, Brice, and Jean-Pierre down the road.

DrKlahn said:
I'm getting a vibe like he is still going to grow a couple of inches, like Mike Dunleavy. It's just a hunch, I'm not an actual doctor.
what you aren't? could have had me fooled

I really like the idea of his playing point for us in the future. He looks fully capable of it, and having a 6'5" guy at the lead guard might mask lack of lateral quickness (side note: I have no reason to believe he's not laterally quick).

Jeff Goodman loves him, says he is his favorite player in that class. Hopefully that translates to something

rome8180 said:
I really like the idea of his playing point for us in the future. He looks fully capable of it, and having a 6'5" guy at the lead guard might mask lack of lateral quickness (side note: I have no reason to believe he's not laterally quick).
Not to always bring Scheyer as the comparison, but he was a good defender given his size and was quick enough for purposes of playing good d. Granted we also packed it in more back then

Well, it seems to me that Scheyer was also a good defender in his first three years (when we didn't pack it in). Size for your position can definitely be as useful as quickness.

DurhamSon said:
I feel like he's better than Grayson Allen at everything... which is kind of awkward.

Is he though? Allen is #20 in 2014, Kennard is #24 in 2015.

Scheyer had good anticipation, and he didn't extend as far out on pressure D as much as guys like Paulus tried to. Scheyer just always played within himself. Kelly was a lot like that as well.

Luke Kennard.

(Realized I hadn't mentioned him in his own thread)

rome8180 said:
Well, it seems to me that Scheyer was also a good defender in his first three years (when we didn't pack it in). Size for your position can definitely be as useful as quickness.
I honestly don't remember him as a defender the first 3 years and was definitely a less knowledgable fan then. But I know he was definitely savvy with angles so makes sense

I don't think Scheyer is appreciated enough even by us, K and Scheyer himself.

Scheyer had a career 23.5 win shares. As a senior, he put up the most ridiculous number I think I've ever seen for a modern day title contender, 9.7 win shares. To be fair, he played in the max number of games. If his season ended in the Sweet Sixteen, that number goes to around 9.2.

JJ Redick, a no brainer retired jersey to everyone, had 23.5 career win shares. In his epic senior season of super high usage and high efficiency and good defense, he had 7.8 win shares.

It's a pity people won't fully acknowledge defense aside from steals and blocks until about 20 years from now. Scheyer was a better, more successful, overall college player than Redick and has no chance of ever getting his jersey retired.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom