Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Mark Williams

I'll say (while knocking repeatedly on a solid wood desk) that I like that Williams has been one of our few 2020/2021 signees to be healthy all summer and all season. Literally just being durable kind of ensures you're in the upper half of true centers.

I hope we can get more out of him than either a freshman Javin or Mason, tbh. I guess Mason's per-minute production would be good enough, assuming Williams plays more than the 14 minutes Mason did.

This young man is now a 5 star, number 16 nationally, and the 2nd-ranked center.

If history is any guide, he's officially in the "Will he be OAD?" camp instead of the "Surefire multiyear glue guy type" camp.

I'm really pleased to hear of his development and it makes me a bit more excited for next year's team. I still think Williams will be at Duke for multiple years, unless he's a defensive monster.

I am beginning to come around to the possibility that we may be looking at a starting 5 of:

Roach-Moore-Johnson-Hurt-Williams

I know discussions of Bolden typically come off in a negative fashion, but if you remove the OAD expectations I think I would sign up for Mark Williams to have a similar/same career path at Duke.

I think the biggest issues everyone had with Bolden were a result of perception. He had a very late Spring decision in which the insiders went back and forth on where he would commit to multiple times over the course of a couple of weeks, and, the commitment came down to us and Kentucky. It was a very drawn out and intense recruiting battle that a lot of people got invested in. I believe it even included the official Duke twitter account sending a sub shot at Kentucky through the use of fishing emoji's.

He had the recruitment of a top 5, surefire one and done prospect, and then after his disappointing freshman season there was serious wind behind the rumors that he was going to transfer, and IIRC, he went home to Texas following the conclusion of the season and was considering transferring to TCU.

All of these things really added to "hype" of Bolden. Williams committed to Duke very early, it was obvious he was committing to Duke, and even with the rise in rankings, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be one and done. Therefore, his production will be appreciated more than Bolden's was, fair or not.

I remember when Bolden committed that I posted on another board that Duke would hang a banner.

Giles knee exploded, Tatum missed some time, Bolden sucked, and we had no point guard.

My God how naive I was.

This young man is now a 5 star, number 16 nationally, and the 2nd-ranked center.

If history is any guide, he's officially in the "Will he be OAD?" camp instead of the "Surefire multiyear glue guy type" camp.
I'm just curious what this "development"/re-ranking is based on since nobody has been playing for the past two months

I'm just curious what this "development"/re-ranking is based on since nobody has been playing for the past two months

Apparently @sjsj2448 the 247 evaluators referring to Williams improving offensively.

Meanwhile, Kessler plummeted. Do any of us actually believe a skill-based big playing at UNC will be worse than a raw big playing at Duke?

Kessler will be hitting 19-foot hook shots on Day 1. Williams will be crying and unable to catch a basketball.

Well, I was going to tell y'all what Evan said about Williams' rise, but he has disappeared.

He had a weak dick response about Jalen's ranking. He says players 5-27 are pretty indistinguishable (lol) and said the situation at IMG adversely affected Jalen's stock (again, lol).

We'd be better served putting all these players into a pinball lottery with even odds and ranking them that way. Evan clearly is clueless. I hope Slater makes fun of him again.

I think the Bolden comparisons are too favorable.

Chase Jeter was RSCI 14

Bigs are becoming less valuable way faster than the recruiting rankings can adjust - lower your expectations for any big outside of the top 5.

Yes and no. They are becoming less valuable in the sense that big guys who are chained to the post, can't shoot decently from 3, and can't defend multiple positions or defend well, are guys who are plummeting in value and effectiveness in regards to having real chances at NBA success in the draft- with the exception of guys who are just dominant inside. Also, big guys still have way more value in college than in the NBA, due to the fact that there are A.) so many more college teams than NBA, thus there is more variance for style of play and B.) since it's not the NBA, the level of skill is obviously decreased. As a result, there is still significant value in the college game for a big, athletic big man who defends the rim well and plays overall good defense (including rebounding into this). I think there is still good value for this in the NBA, but less of it.

In your statement "lower your expectations for any big outside of the top 5" I certainly agree with this as it pertains to offense. We shouldn't expect any big who is well below the top 5 to not be a significant offensive contributor. Especially at Duke, where the ball doesn't get passed into the post unless we have a good scorer inside.

Mark Williams can be a very valuable college big man. There are still are a lot of teams in college basketball successfully and frequently utilizing big men chained to the post, and one of those teams is Duke's biggest rivals and very good at playing that way.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom