Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Two fabulous new releases:

- Spoon

- Superchunk

The new Chunk is pretty different for them. Songs with strings, etc. Mac has a gift for writing catchy songs.
Have always loved Spoon, and regretfully sort of missed out on Superchunk in their heyday (hayday?). I was just a little too old and really wrapped up in grunge when they hit college in the early 90s.

@rome8180 Last night, after the hot sauce convo, I binged a bunch of Pat Finnerty stuff on YouTube. Holy hell that guy is good. Perfect combination of a guy who's legitimately funny and also knows his shit musically. I'm a fan.

His videos are genuinely works of art. Did you watch the Weezer one? That was probably my favorite.

Reactions: TS9
First video that popped up when I Google him was Dani California by RHCP, which is a song I absolutely despise. So, immediate fan of his.

But I really like Beato too

I do too. But his Beato meme is funny. Have to watch from the beginning of the series to fully get it.

He hasn't done a song yet that I don't hate. "Dani California" is actually last on the list of most hated when you stack it up against songs like "Beverley Hills," "Kryptonite," and "Hey Soul Sister."

The new Ghost album is kinda cool. I’m sure some folks might call it a sellout record because it’s so polished and the faux-Satanic thing has been pretty much fully abandoned.

Lyrics are still (intentionally) dorky, though, and it’s really fun musically. Rooted in 70s/early 80s metal, but with hints of prog and classic rock and tons of poppy melodies.

Excited for this. Failure is one of the great unsung bands. So many musicians I know cite them as a major influence.

@rome8180 I had no idea this was coming, but I'll definitely watch it. Without question, Failure, Hum, Jawbox and Sugar were the bands I most tried to convince my friends to listen to instead of Bush, etc. Few of them actually did, though.

God I loved Sugar, and pretty much anything Bob Mould has been a part of. Big Husker Du fan back in HS. His solo stuff is great too.

God I loved Sugar, and pretty much anything Bob Mould has been a part of. Big Husker Du fan back in HS. His solo stuff is great too.

Yeah he's probably my favorite artist. Remarkably consistent for 40 years, and his few clunkers are totally canceled out by the strength of his best stuff.

I must say that as someone who has tried to get into Husker Du later in life, the recording quality is extremely offputting. I think there's a time in life when I could tolerate that. But now it's a barrier to entry. Most indie records from that era sound bad, but the Husker Du albums are particularly egregious.

I must say that as someone who has tried to get into Husker Du later in life, the recording quality is extremely offputting. I think there's a time in life when I could tolerate that. But now it's a barrier to entry. Most indie records from that era sound bad, but the Husker Du albums are particularly egregious.

Oh yeah that sound is legendarily horrible. Guy called Spot was SST's in-house producer, and most of the stuff he recorded sounds bad. Combine that with Mould and Hart not knowing what they were doing, and insisting on stuff like insane amounts of treble, and that's how we got that fuzzy, anemic sound. Mould did ridiculous crap in those days, like plugging his guitar into a distortion pedal and then straight to the mixing board. No amp. Just trash.

There are a few attempted "remixes" of Husker Du songs on YouTube that do the best they can to beef up the sound as much as possible. He's one of the better ones I've found, although it's still deeply flawed as a recording.

Tbh, I don't enjoy Bivouac and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy by Jawbreaker for the same reason. I only really love their major label album.

@rome8180 you can start listening to Mould with Candy Apple Grey and go from there if you want to skip the hideous quality of early Husker Du. You'll miss some great tunes, but I get it.

There's also some incredible live footage of Mould performing Sugar tunes on YouTube. I'll dig up one of my favorites and post.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom