Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Not sure if there's video of it floating around, but there was a live version of "JC Auto" on a Sugar B-side album that, when cranked up loud, was one of the most intense things I'd ever heard. Probably still is. I'll need to try that again soon.

Ben Folds told a cool story about this song on a podcast. Apparently he had just left a show and was getting in a texting argument with a couple of people about something. Fed up, he threw his phone in a hotel pool as he was passing by. As he does he hears a voice saying "Ben, is that you?" A woman had been standing nearby. She removed her hoodie and it was Ke$ha. She'd walked through the bushes to avoid the paparazzi. She asked him why he'd thrown his phone in the pool. He said because he was sick of it. She said, "Oh, you can't do that." And she jumped in the pool with all her clothes on to retrieve his phone.

None of that is in the song, but it's an awesome backstory.

Here's the podcast. I really recommend this podcast overall. They get great people to conduct the interviews. I hate it when I'm listening to an interview, and the person conducting it has no aptitude for interviewing. This was a particularly great episode. I also enjoy the ones where Rick Rubin is the interviewer.

I don't really like AC/DC, but Malcolm Young may be the tightest rhythm guitarist of all time. So it doesn't surprise me.

Noticed there were still tickets to the Belle and Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast show in Raleigh tonight. But it's $50+ fees and starts at 6:30? What's up with insanely early shows these days? I remember when I was 15 years only seeing the first two songs of Superchunk because I was getting a ride back home from my parents and they didn't want to pick me up later than 11:30. Superchunk didn't start until 11:20.

I like that we've shifted to having shows earlier, but we've gone way too far in this direction. A show should start at 9pm, imo.

Anyway, I don't think I'll go because I'm not excited about spending $100 after the inevitable beers and merch (and possible parking fees). Plus, I don't want to hop in my car right now and drive to Raleigh in rush hour traffic. I'm positive I will regret this decision.

I'll amend that. 8pm is the perfect start time. Opening band goes on at 8:30. Headliners start at 9pm, or maybe 9:30 if there is more than one opener. Whole show is done by 11.

Noticed there were still tickets to the Belle and Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast show in Raleigh tonight. But it's $50+ fees and starts at 6:30? What's up with insanely early shows these days? I remember when I was 15 years only seeing the first two songs of Superchunk because I was getting a ride back home from my parents and they didn't want to pick me up later than 11:30. Superchunk didn't start until 11:20.

I like that we've shifted to having shows earlier, but we've gone way too far in this direction. A show should start at 9pm, imo.

Anyway, I don't think I'll go because I'm not excited about spending $100 after the inevitable beers and merch (and possible parking fees). Plus, I don't want to hop in my car right now and drive to Raleigh in rush hour traffic. I'm positive I will regret this decision.

That's a great show.

I'm digging early shows because of a long drive home and work the following morning. However, I get what you mean by tipping the scales too far that way, which results in rushing to get there, dealing with traffic volume, etc

The most comically awkward music video ever made. And I love the song and Donnie Iris in general, but holy shit. And his nickname is 'King Cool'.

I mean, that is like a 1/3 of all 80s music videos

Friend's band did this cover of Smashing Pumpkins that I thought was really cool. My friend is the singer. My only complaint is I wish they'd used harmonics in the main riff like Corgan did. I like her scream at 2:58.

Her voice is great and it's a really cool counter to the heaviness of the song.

Anyway, I want some lists people.

Personal Top 5 Favorite Albums.

Not the greatest albums of all time, but your personal Top 5.

I'll start, in no order.

Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
Steely Dan-Aja
Zeppelin 3
Peter Gabriel-Security
Kate Bush-Hounds of Love

ETA Soundgraden-Superunknown, The Cult-Love and XTC-skylarking narrowly miss

Last edited:
Thx Farmer!

Wilco - Summerteeth
Prince - Sign 'O The Times
Sugar - Copper Blue
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Talking Heads - Fear of Music

HM - Stones (Sticky Fingers), Ramones (Rocket to Russia), Superchunk (Indoor Living), Talking Heads (Remain in Light), Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville)

As an aside - it is nice to see Kate Bush's music being appreciated by the youth (even if it's only one song)

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom