Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Other Sports

I guess it depends on the terms. If it is a way for the Saudis to bow out gracefully as a major sponsor/minority partner after pissing away several billion and the PGA still runs things, not so bad. If they wrote even bigger checks to take over the driver's seat, I think there are going to be issues. Seems the PGA rank and file were blindsided by it, and aren't super pleased.

I guess it depends on the terms. If it is a way for the Saudis to bow out gracefully as a major sponsor/minority partner after pissing away several billion and the PGA still runs things, not so bad. If they wrote even bigger checks to take over the driver's seat, I think there are going to be issues. Seems the PGA rank and file were blindsided by it, and aren't super pleased.
Based on the article, it sure looks more like the latter.

I'd also be pretty pissed if I were one of the big names that didn't sell out to the Saudis, now that all the ones who did seem to be welcomed back a year later with no consequences other than a bunch richer.

This was big news for anyone with tickets to a future Inter Miami game. For the September game in Atlanta, the get in price was around $40 this morning. It was $300 by early afternoon.

There were a bunch of pseudodegenerates who bought a ton of Miami tickets as news was starting to trickle in about Messi considering Miami yesterday. The ticket market was lagging the odds/Twitter news market, and they made a lot of cash.

In my section, people are selling for $500+ per ticket. $500 is the full season ticket price. If those sell, the Messi era may mean selling one game and having free tickets for the rest of the season.

Don’t care much for Novak or his tennis, but I think it’s undeniable that he’s the GOAT now. Has both the slam record and triple career slam. Though, it has to be pointed out that while Federer definitely benefitted from the weak 03-06 era as he racked up titles early in his career, both Djokovic and Nadal were incredibly fortunate that there have been an utter dearth of superstars to come after them. Men born after 1987 (Djokovic’s birth year, one year after Nadal) have won a combined four slams, with none bagging multiple titles. A 15 year wasteland of truly elite talent, with only the still very young Alcaraz looking like he may get there someday. Murray succumbing to injuries fairly early in his career also moved an obstacle out of the way. That all said, Djokovic is likely going to reach 25+ slams, a record that will likely stand for some time.

Holger Rune just turned 20 and looks promising but men’s tennis appears to be skipping a generation with the prime age guys like Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas staying so mediocre.

The mini-generation just before them, composed of Thiem, Kyrgios, Dimitrov etc, never really got going either.

It's such an unfortunate and unavoidable feature of baseball that it winds up being largely a contest of who has the best eyesight. It's like the NFL if it could only pull from the pool if top 0.1% of human hearers, or something similarly mundane.

RE: the dearth of tennis stars in the wake of the Big 3

I fucking hate that Im saying this but Shane Ryan had a point in his book about the young golfers who entered the PGA in Tiger’s wake. The opportunities for stardom outside trophies completely dried up. The zeitgeist only has space for like 6 tennis players and the Williams sisters, Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic completely owned the spotlight for 20 years. Murray popped in for a bit but so did staunch liberal texan Andy Roddick but it was a wasteland for the rest of the crowd. No endorsement money, no commercials, no merch sales, and scraps of prize money.

Those guys had no chance.

Somewhat different point, but I think that one of the big reasons that the PGA Tour and LIV were going to run each other into ruin is that neither of them own the rights to the biggest event in golf. Or the second biggest event. Or the third biggest. And for both golf and tennis, there’s only so much fan interest to go around.

Starts training for a different event she hasn’t run in years, will easily win world championship in first attempt. She’s going to pull off a biologically impossible double of 400m and 400 hurdles at the next Olympics, with about 30 minutes between races.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom