Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

Re: Pomeroy 2012-2013

4 Duke ACC 15-1 .9694 117.7 10 84.0 4

Florida back at 1
Lousiville back to ridiculous AdjD, shades away from the 70s and way ahead of everyone

I think the most frustrating part about Kelly's injury for the coaches, team, fans and Kelly's loved ones is that Duke's Pomeroy numbers won't be very meaningful for predicting future performance if Kelly ever comes back this season. Which he likely won't, but hypothetically speaking.

you mean without Kelly and without Curry. Maybe the preseason projections saw us losing 2 key players for the season in back to back games. Could be, with so many old vets on the team.

Our offensive and defensive efficiency is still hanging in there 2.5 games after Ryan's injury despite some ugly play from time-to-time.

Florida has almost reached the pinnacle of basketball dorkdom. #1 defense, #2 offense. I have never seen a team reach #1 and #1. All hail the kings from Gainesville, including the great Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy, who will have about a 35% chance to win the national title, assuming a 1 seed in a reasonable bracket.

People are saying the race is wide open this season and there's no single elite team. Lies.

Its impossible for a team with two losses to be elite...everybody knows that.

ZackM said:
Its impossible for a team with two losses to be elite...everybody knows that.

Well, until Wednesday night, that is.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Florida has almost reached the pinnacle of basketball dorkdom. #1 defense, #2 offense. I have never seen a team reach #1 and #1. All hail the kings from Gainesville, including the great Kenny Boynton and Erik Murphy, who will have about a 35% chance to win the national title, assuming a 1 seed in a reasonable bracket.

People are saying the race is wide open this season and there's no single elite team. Lies.
I thought Kansas reached #1/#1 for a brief stretch in the 2008 season, but I am probably misremembering.

Kansas 2008 was the best team in Kenpom history by Pyth, so you may be right. Relative to the competition, Florida is slightly behind them, as the 2nd most dominant team since 2003.

Does this stuff show Kenpom's system is flawed, since there's no way a team with a Murphy leading the way could be the best team of the past decade? Or does it give us hope that Alex could develop like his brother and become one of the best offensive players in college basketball?

With Louisville losing, I would guess Duke will be back to #2 tomorrow morning.

Duke drops from #2 to #5 after last night's embarrassment. The offense is now 12th, defense 7th. I had been encouraged with how we had somewhat hung in there for a couple of games without Kelly. I hope last night was the beginning of the real sans-Kelly Duke freefall.

We've given up 84 and 90 in 2 of the 3 games without him. The other game was against a horrendously awful GT team on offense. We can't score and can't defend since he's out.

Defense 7th to 12th. I thought our D was good versus MD. Other teams that much better over the weekend?

O from 12 to 9.

Giving up a point per possession to a team as offensively incompetent as Maryland is going to bring you down, especially when the difference between 8th and 12th is negligible.

Hell even State shut that team down.

Our defense continues to fall.

So, Florida's defensive efficiency is in the 70s right now. I can't recall ever seeing that happen before (for any team).

Yes, Florida is making a run at being the GOAT team, relative to the field, of the advanced stats era. I'm interested to see if they can get over the .9900 Pyth bar, which would be ridiculous. They're already the best of all time on Kenpom. It's approaching the level where Donovan not winning the title this year would have to be considered a choke. 3 titles over 8 seasons would be solid, though arguably not Brad Stevens caliber.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take Donovan in a heartbeat. Something about Stevens the man appeals to me more though.

I'm just taking a jab at how nobody, not just Duke fans, considers Donovan an elite coach. I don't consider him an elite coach - his results since 2007 have done more to prove 2006 and 2007 were flukes than to show he's a good coach. But all of his recruiting has led to this incredible team, which has a real shot to be the most dominant team since 1999. Let's hope that like in 1999, the best team doesn't win.

I'm prepping for the nerds vs. old school media guys throwdown of all time on Florida. The numbers say what they say and I stand by them 100%. Buuuuut, Florida's resume away from home looks like this.

W vs. #49 Middle Tennessee State in St. Petersburg, FL
W @ #93 Florida State

L @ #12 Arizona
L vs. #29 Kansas State in Kansas City
W vs. #83 Air Force in Sunrise, FL
W @ #224 Yale
(still LOL at that piece of scheduling)
W @ #114 LSU
W @ #98 Texas A&M
W @ #137 Georgia
W @ #233 Mississippi State

That comes to one win over the Pomeroy top-100 away from the state of Florida. And zero top-97 wins. And since the SEC basically affords no opportunities for quality wins unless you are playing against Florida, this isn't going to get much better. Best they can hope for is a win in Lexington on March 9 that may or may not deserve respect depending on how UK looks at that point.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom