Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Semi Ojeleye

I understand it's an extremely limited sample size, but I just reminded myself of Semi's stats while at Duke. The difference between his freshman and sophomore years is striking. He went from looking like a player K was crazy not to play more to looking like a player K was absolutely right not to play more.

Ojeleye isn't playing big part in this, as the worst defender in the rotation. He's also a mediocre rebounder. I'm not sure he'd even be in K's rotation this season, given those weaknesses. However, he's by far SMU's best offensive player and SMU is just as good as Duke overall this season. Good decision for everyone involved. He'll probably make good money overseas or for the Patriots as a HOF receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

He has a good chance of having a better pro career than Justise.

Wish he could have stuck it out here. He's everything we figured he would be at the next level since we recruited him five years ago.

That path took Joy to the Garden on April 15 to attend her son’s NBA playoff debut with the Celtics. Just as the family never would have left Nigeria if Ernest didn’t take a risk, Semi had succeeded thanks to a brave decision, too. He chose to leave Duke halfway through his sophomore year, believing that to stay would have killed his chance at the NBA.

“He would have toiled away in obscurity,” said Joy. “He would have slaved away, and the dream would have been completely dead. Dead and forgotten. Another one who played in high school, went to college. Society would have just thought he never worked hard enough.”

Krzyzewski fanned Semi’s resolve, too. Semi’s brother Victor said the Duke coach, irritated following multiple inquiries from the family about their son’s role, lashed out when Semi gave him the news.

“What I will say about that day is that (Krzyzewski) told Semi he was making a mistake,” said Victor Ojeleye.

The family knew better.

God these fucking asshole parents need to just DIAF already. I know that sounds harsh, and Semi's situation perhaps could have been handled better, but it's such bullshit that they come out months/years after the fact and try to absolve themselves or their kids of all responsibility, and instead blame everything on the coaching staff.

I can't even come close to thinking of a single player whose NBA ambitions were "killed" under K. I mean he's elevated busts to top 10 picks.

Last edited:
Preach, DSon.

There are times we all wondered why Semi didn't play more, but the thing was he had Jabari/Hood/Winslow/Amile in front of him.

He played so soft relative to his physical strength. He couldn't dribble (still can't). There was no indication he was doing anything to earn floor time.

He moved on, developed his game over time, found success. Good for him.

The family account seems different from Semi's previous public comments. Whatever.

Last edited:
But yeah, no chance at all Semi could have developed into a good scorer as an upperclassman at Duke and been drafted in the second round. Impossible. Huge eye roll.

Last edited:
That shit about her kneeling and him yelling is just bizarre. I hope like hell it isn't true but if it is, K needs his ass whipped. I detest that level of arrogance from anyone.

Lol that is some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever read.

"The God Lord Coach K was prepared to smite me, so I knelt at the power of His presence and begged for His Divine forgiveness!"

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom