Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

I’ve been considering canceling Netflix for a while. I’m basically paying to not have to go through the inconvenience and legal risk of pirating, plus having stuff on my phone, so even just 2-3 movies or seasons per month is worth it. They’re barely hitting that for me now.

Last edited:
Ok that 1st ep of the new Black Mirror season was really good. The best they’ve done since having big stars at their disposal, IMO. Hopeful this is not going to be any more of that lame white dot on the side of the head stuff after seeing that.

YouTube Premium is surprisingly worth it at $12/mo, and I think you can still easily find a deal for 3 months free to start. Behind Prime as the biggest value add subscription for me. Not having to click skip ads after 5-15 seconds every time made a big difference - no anxiety over picking the “right” video to watch. You also get YouTube Music Premium with it, which I find just as convenient as Spotify.

AdBlockPlus prevents ads from showing for free, fyi. Sounds like it's probably worth it for the other stuff considering my YouTube addiction, though.

Considering how much YouTubeTV costs now, they really should include YouTube Premium with my subscription.

Ok that 1st ep of the new Black Mirror season was really good. The best they’ve done since having big stars at their disposal, IMO. Hopeful this is not going to be any more of that lame white dot on the side of the head stuff after seeing that.
giving the people what they want. salma hayek's cleavage.

Silo on Apple TV is like sci-fi for beginners based solely on the 1st episode. It’s beautiful, though, and acted well enough. Rebecca Ferguson is in it. I hope it gets less obvious. 85% RT critics, 90% audience.

Did you continue watching? Show hits a bit of a lull episodes 3 to 5 or so but has gotten very compelling again, with two episodes left.

I do think they will fuck us with some season ending major cliffhanger though

Totally subjective Black Mirror season 6 episode rankings:

Joan is Awful - ep 1
Not as thought provoking as the best episodes ever, but very entertaining and the big names being self-aware make it feel like a big deal. Maybe around #10 all time.

gap

Beyond the Sea - ep 3
Will never watch again, despite appreciating the artistry all around and the acting from Aaron Paul and Josh Hartnett. 2 hours of slow, quiet tension and anxiety, hated the experience.

Demon 79 - ep 5
Similar to ep 1 in having high entertainment value without any depth. Totally different vibe.

gap

Loch Ryan - ep 2
This one will stay in my memory, though I don’t want it to. Similar to that killer robot dog episode a few seasons back. No reason to be that memorable but disturbing stuff usually sticks. Would’ve been fine skipping.

gap

Maxey Day - ep 4
Recommend skipping.

Tbh, I haven't watched anything past the first two seasons despite calling it my favorite show at the time. I started watching the episode called Nosedive (Season 3, Ep 1) and stopped halfway through. As I've mentioned before, I can't watch anything involving extreme social embarrassment. And it was so clear from the episode's title and premise that the character was going to crash and burn in a spectacular public fashion. Every time I thought about starting the show again, I would think about having to watch that episode and would decide to put it off.

1. loch ryan
2. mazey day
3 demon
4. joan
5. beyond the sea
(aka the josh harnett finger blast experience) this one was so tedious.

I really liked Joan and Henry, but Beyond the Sea was everything that turned me off from the show a couple seasons ago. I don't really care how well done a piece of entertainment is if its sole reason for existing is to punish the viewer.

When the show finds that happy medium, it's great, but it's like some episode directors think that it's not authentic Black Mirror if you don't hate how it makes you feel the entire time.

Beyond the Sea was also total cookie cutter.
Once you found out they were replicas and the one dude’s family was murdered, you knew exactly how the next hour was going to go.

Last edited:
Mazie Day was like a Twilight Zone episode, but less well thought out.

Tbh, I haven't watched anything past the first two seasons despite calling it my favorite show at the time. I started watching the episode called Nosedive (Season 3, Ep 1) and stopped halfway through. As I've mentioned before, I can't watch anything involving extreme social embarrassment. And it was so clear from the episode's title and premise that the character was going to crash and burn in a spectacular public fashion. Every time I thought about starting the show again, I would think about having to watch that episode and would decide to put it off.
You should jump around instead of going in order. Season 3 has 2 episodes that are fairly universally recommended beyond Nosedive: Shut Up and Dance (dark) and San Junipero (not dark). Season 4 has 3 that should be watched from a snobbish perspective: USS Callister, Hang the DJ and Black Museum. It would probably be a net positive to not continue beyond Season 4 at all.

You should jump around instead of going in order. Season 3 has 2 episodes that are fairly universally recommended beyond Nosedive: Shut Up and Dance (dark) and San Junipero (not dark). Season 4 has 3 that should be watched from a snobbish perspective: USS Callister, Hang the DJ and Black Museum. It would probably be a net positive to not continue beyond Season 4 at all.

San Junipero as a one off, for any show, is absolutely top tier for me. I didn't watch the Shut up and Dance episode (had read beforehand what it was about and noped on it) but I did like the other three mentioned quite a bit too.

Maybe one day I'll watch a recent show. There are too many good ones I haven't seen, so I don't even want to start.

I just resubscribed to Disney+ so I could watch the rest of Andor and a show I watched the pilot of and enjoyed called American Born Chinese. I'll probably just rewatch Get Back instead and never get to those shows.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom