Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

I kept going and wanted to finish the whole season last night but I could no longer fight sleep at 4am. In a later episode, it has a 2-second scene that features the end of Duke at Maryland 2001 playing on a phone, which I figure could very well be my personal YouTube upload, given it’s the first Google result for “Duke basketball miracle” that doesn’t have the blurred edges. I will go on believing this.

One satisfying thing about this season is all the complaining from adult children about the Duke prominence, while 6 of its episodes are tracking at >9 rating on IMDB, all 10 are >8, and it’s at 100% critics, 91% audience on RT. Should end up as one of the most acclaimed seasons of comedy TV ever, and the most common complaint about it will be the Duke lovefest.

The Bear season 2 is incredible. About halfway through and it’s one of the best seasons of TV I can recall. There’s even a prominent Duke basketball tie-in. Season 1 was great, and this is on another level from that.

I had never even heard of "The Bear" until last weekend. Some Chicago Bears discord friends were hyping it up all last weekend like it was the greatest thing ever. I thought they were overhyping it since the show is set in Chicago. I gave it a shot Sunday afternoon and ended up finishing season 1 that day. Yesterday, I woke up and the first thing I did after I took my dog outside was start season 2 and I ended up finishing that season too. First season was very good but season 2 is just peak excellence. The Christmas episode followed by the Richie focused episodes in the middle of season 2 were my favorite episodes but the entire season is awesome.

Didn't have any clue before I started the show that Coach K's book and motivational techniques would be a huge catalyst for the entire second season. Coach K didn't even know he was a part of the show until people started calling and texting him about it.

Spent the rest of the week rewatching episodes, mostly 4 (Honeydew), 6 (Fishes), 7 (Forks) and 10 (The Bear).

7 is getting so much love that I think they’ll bring back some of the characters from the 3-star Chicago restaurant as recurring next season. None of them except one was played by an expensive actor, and they had so much chemistry with Richie. Richie’s happy scene in 7 rivals Ted Lasso’s season 1 darts scene as the most pleasing in prestige comedy history.

I can hope for a return by the pastry chef in Copenhagen, but that seems much less likely due to the actor’s stature and how nonsensical it would be for the character to go to Chicago or for the plot to shift to Copenhagen again. His performance was my favorite among all the guest stars.

Watched Succession season 4, episode 3 tonight.

Fuck, that was brutal to watch. I was not expecting that at all. Incredible job by them but damn, I wish I had known that was coming. Would not have watched.

Wrt Succession, given that they originally planned to kill off Logan in Season 1, it seems weird that they have no plans for a sequel.
I mean, the whole plot was originally supposed to have been the aftermath of his death and the family war that ensued so they must have a pile of ideas and scripts to work from, but everything I've read says they're done. Sad.

Finished Silo S1 after skipping eps 4-6 and watching short YouTube recaps instead. Those were lowly rated on IMDB. Worth the watch if you skip through; main complaint is how constrained the world is, which leads to boredom, but this will probably go away in future seasons. Caught between wanting to read the books or at least read about the books, versus just waiting for the next season and not being spoiled.

Books are very good, though long. Didn't know they made a series, and yes, I can see how it could feel restricted. The overwhelming feeling of Wool was claustrophobia.

IIRC the 2nd/3rd books are flashback/forward types that may be harder to capture on screen, but add a lot to the story.

Succession finale was petty sibling rivalry at its best

They all wanted it, and when only one could have it, one who can’t gets pissy and decides none can have it. 😂 Too perfect.

*well almost perfect. Kendall should have killed himself at the end.

Quarterback on Netflix is really good. Follows Mahomes, Cousins, and Mariota through the past season and playoffs. It's kind of like hard knocks that focuses on elite players, with more access, better production, and and really interesting narrative stuff from the QBs via a ton of Office-style confessionals, even play-to-play in a lot of cases.

Def recommend if you like football at all. Made me appreciate QBs more and kind of made me a Mahomes fan.

I never got interested enough in Season 4 to keep watching it. And I'm the rare person who actually liked Season 3. I would say they've gotten progressively worse though. I keep wanting them to be awesome again because Season 1 is one of the single greatest seasons of television ever, imo. And Season 2 is 80% of Season 1.

Loki

Another sign of being old is not seeing any talk in social media about how the Loki season 2 finale was The Matrix Reloaded. It wasn’t just reminiscent and it didn’t just have some callbacks. The story was lifted directly.

Loki

Another sign of being old is not seeing any talk in social media about how the Loki season 2 finale was The Matrix Reloaded. It wasn’t just reminiscent and it didn’t just have some callbacks. The story was lifted directly.
Loki was yet another disappointment in the Disney+ TV lineup. Which is too bad, because I thought it was a really well made show. But it was just too convoluted and nonsensical.

Season 2 was bad. I think all the time travel/multiverse stuff is killing Marvel, though I haven’t been watching since Endgame and only read about the complaints. They should call and audible and get out of that whole arc ASAP. I liked Season 1 more than any of the other Marvel shows.

Time travel is always bad, with the exception of Tenet, in my opinion.

Time travel is always bad, with the exception of Tenet, in my opinion.
I thought Interstellar was good, too. Watched it recently for the first time since my dad died, and I cried like a bitch.
Interstellar is my favorite Nolan movie. Ironically, it seems to be his most hated.

I don't actually like Nolan movies very much. So it's funny that the one I truly loved is so divisive. I just thought it had way more emotional impact than any of his other movies. The others often just seem like exhausting conceptual puzzles to me. Haven't bothered with his last three.

Memento is also cool.

Last edited:
I disagree with time travel always being bad. It usually doesn't make sense, but that's fine. I think Back to the Future may be the most flawless screenplay ever written. And 12 Monkeys is one of my favorite movies, period.

There are probably half a dozen others I can think of that I'd stand behind.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom