Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

His one dimension in college was playmaking but even with that he mitigated it completely half the time with awful, awful turnovers, and very low basketball IQ. Every other basketball skill, he was either mediocre or downright awful. Turns out that's not a combination to get drafted with. Restores my faith in NBA scouting a little, and serves as a huge indictment to not only how shit high school scouting is, but how fucking lazy our staff is for not doing real recruiting/scouting and simply relying on rankings.

Last edited:
That said as far as I can tell he or his mom/dad didn't say any bullshit about Duke not "using him" right, so I hope better for him than most of the guys who've left early the last few seasons.

The odyssey of Duke not having a PG worth a shit post-Tyus has finally come to an end, at least. I put all the blame on the staff for that one. Must have been something like 30 or more capable Duke-caliber starting PGs the last 3 recruiting classes, and they handpicked Thornton-Jackson-Duval

His one dimension is college was playmaking but even with that he mitigated it completely half the time with awful, awful turnovers, and very low basketball IQ. Every other basketball skill, he was either mediocre or downright awful. Turns out that's not a combination to get drafted with. Restores my faith in NBA scouting a little, and serves as a huge indictment to not only how shit high school scouting is, but how fucking lazy our staff is for not doing real recruiting/scouting and simply relying on rankings.

I was pretty much going to write the same thing. I think the high school rankings folks did him a disservice. Maybe don’t rank a kid number 1 at his position if he plays guard and shoots like 20 percent from 3 while barely being above 50 percent from the line. There was no indication in those numbers that his shooting was going to improve enough to justify anything close to that ranking.

I'll always have a soft spot for him for doing his darndest early in the season to get My Big Son going and confident when he was going through a rough patch. Truest PG thing he ever did.

The revolving door of shit at the PG position was arguably the single biggest factor in us not being legitimate national title contenders over the past three seasons. A stable presence at PG at long last is one reason I still remain semi-optimistic about next year.

But I am honestly shocked Duval went undrafted. I was certain a team would take a flyer on him in the mid-late second round, even if just due to his athleticism.

Reactions: TS9
Sad thing is we were legit NT conteders this year, as legit as a non-Nova team could be at least. I really believe the difference between a replacement level shooting starting PG and Duval is the difference between merely being a non-Nova caliber NT contender, and being a 1 seeded team that could go toe to toe with Nova. That's how good our frontcourt and defense were.

Tyus Jones leads that roster to a historically great season and a title. Tre Jones gets them to the Final Four at least.

Senior Tyler Thornton leads them to an undefeated season.

I hope the Rockets reached out with strong, genuine interest first, because if this is Duval simply choosing the Rockets as his team to join for summer league, he is getting bad advice. He will be as welcome on offense there as he was here. He has 1-2 months to become a consistent open high 30s 3pt shooter from NBA range.

I honestly wonder if Duval even knows he is a bad shooter. It's possible that his mind is so underdeveloped that he only eye tests his own 3pt shots while they're in the air, without regard to stats, and they look ok to him, so he has no idea that the actual result of 27% on wide open 20 footers is relatively terrible. I'm not bashing him; I think most 18-19 year olds are idiots who lack foresight and avoid seeing the big picture if it's sad for them.

The Rockets did miss 27 threes in a row to lose the Western Conference title. I bet if we put Duval out there, and he was left wide open because people don't respect his jumper like they do Eric Gordon's, and he was instructed to shoot every three pointer available to him, he could have made at least three of those 27. Rockets win series.

So it’s not even a two-way contract, just a summer league invite. In a way that is better than committing to one team, but it looks like he has a very long road ahead of him. The one thing I could never get past from an NBA standpoint (as well as a Duke standpoint) was the lack of rebounding. There’s only one guy in all of college basketball last year with 1,000 minutes played, a turnover rate over 20% and a defensive rebounding rate under 5%. That might be okay if the player was Seth Curry or Isaiah Thomas, but not for a guy billed as a big and athletic guard. Basically, if you can’t shoot in the modern game, you better be a ball winner, to borrow a soccer concept. I hope for the best, but the numbers haven’t pointed to a good outcome to this point. Hope he finds a very patient organization.

Does Duval speak a foreign language? Because the best he can hope for is to play somewhere overseas.

I hope it works out for him. He seemed like he actually cared. And he did improve his 3-pt shooting considerably over the course of the season -- 34% from ACC season onwards. Not his fault that the coaches didn't realize his deficiencies before recruiting him. Hope he's able to make a roster.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom