Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

Tricky will always have a special place in my heart.

That shirt is fire. :smilingimp::sunglasses:

DZ-TmQQW4AE7Xk5.jpg:large

Good luck, Tricky.

I always liked Trevon. I have no hard feelings towards him leaving early. It's too bad he didn't get a chance to show out in the Final Four, he was really good against Kansas.

Good luck in the NBA, definitely rooting for him, and I think someone takes him in the first round (hopefully).

Duval ended up not being too terrible statistically:

Assuming he goes pro, he would be a real anomaly among PG prospects in 3PT shooting/FT shooting, and a bigger anomaly among all players in defensive rebounding. I'll need to go back and find my source material on this, but it was pretty stark. Some GM is going to be taking a serious leap of faith.

I found it! Perfect timing too.

This is from a pre-draft profile of Charlotte Hornets star Malik Monk, he of the -5.3 BPM in 13.0 MPG.

The guy did a plot chart of prospects and previously drafted college guards/wings, showing 3PT% against FT% (minimum 80 3PA). (If you want to actually see who each dot is, here is the link: https://model284.com/prospect-profile-malik-monk/) Not sure how far back it goes but Shammond Williams is on it, so pretty far back.

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 7.35.57 PM.png
Duval (107 3PA, 59.6% FT, 29.0% 3FG) would be in the lowest leftmost quadrant, the one that is barely visible, with no other dots in it. And this is the good chart.

Now for the bad one. This one measures guard prospects by their college assist percentage and defensive rebounding.

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 7.46.20 PM.png

Tre's 30.9 assist rate is fine of course, but they would have to readjust the chart itself to fit in his 4.9% defensive rebounding rate. That's right, it's the worst rate of anyone that's been drafted or considered in the draft in what appears to be at least a decade. I know defensive rebounding isn't a guard's responsibility, but it almost certainly is a responsibility for a guard that is going to shoot poorly. If I'm a GM I might look past one anomaly, but two?

We were hard on him, but any ire we may have felt should have really been directed to the staff. We all knew what his limitations were on TDF, so it should have been abundantly clear to the staff. Don’t recruit OADs who are really multi year projects to be elite players at the college level.

I think he generally played hard and like he gave a shit. I hope he finds a shot and makes a ton of cash.

He seems like a good kid who loves Duke. Hope he does well in the NBA.

I have such a strained relationship with Duval. When he got it going he was a dream to watch and he seems to be a really great kid, but he also made me lose my mind a few times with his decision making.

Glad to have had him. Wish he was sticking around for another year. Hope he figures it all out and kills it in the NBA.

RIP the point-guard-who-can-only-pass-or-shoot-or-neither Duke Basketball era, 2016-2018.

Of the three, Duval (no shooting) edged out Frank (no playmaking) and certainly Thornton (can't do either) in terms of likability, though that doesn't say much.

They really needed to be somehow merged into one player to be effective at the level we needed.

If we weren’t a OAD factory, it would have been great to see him continue to improve. But we are, so he must go. Hope he lands in a great situation, so he can develop and prosper.

That said I still can't believe the staff left him in at the end of the VTech game while we were still in the single bonus. What the hell was that shit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom