Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2013-2014 Discussion Thread

Re: UNC Basketball 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

Must be a photoshop

Nope, but it is very puzzling.

ChibCU said:
3Yoql.jpg

That isn't from tonight, is it?

More of the faux-sadness that he's leaving. Sad he's still going along with it.

That was from tonight, NOD.

He continues to look like DLIII's short-bus brother.

I can't think of much weirder than Late Night with Roy

Thorp looks like he put his hair on sideways in that pic.

I've assumed Paige would be UNC's PG ever since Marshall left. I have never been very impressed w/ Strickland. I haven't watched him all that closely, but he's just never stood out to me. Roy loves him, though, so if he's fully healthy, I have to imagine he'll start. Bullock and McAdoo will be improved, and starters. If Hubert is a viable candidate for them at the 5, I'm thrilled b/c it means no one else is any better. If you tell me that freshman center w/ all the Js in his name is the hands-down starter, I'm all paranoid about the second-coming of Hansbrough.
UNC is going to have a bench like they haven't had in a couple seasons.

Sounds like Dan Kane is about to drop another article about some ish a current football player turned in.

DK should get a Pulitzer and a body guard

Figured I might as well move this over here and keep blabbering, since there's not much else to talk about right now:

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
It's good that at least some of us have seen the UNC guys play lately - I have not - but has Hairston really improved so much more than Bullock, to the point where the guy who got 13 mpg last year would now be a better player than the guy who got 25 mpg last year? Roy is bad at coaching in many ways, but he wasn't intentionally trying to lose games last season.

I mean, SO Cook (11mpg) was just named starter over JR Thornton (21 mpg) for us. I don't think it's inconceivable.

DurhamSon said:
You can't take too much for summer ball; you just can't. Otherwise Leslie McDonald would be an all american.

"Hi Bullock; even though you've been waiting for two years in Barnes' shadow and are finally ready to emerge now that he's gone, i'm going to come in and start taking the majority of shots. Oh and McDonald/Strickland, even though you've been here for 3 years, i'm going to start ahead of you and take even more shots"

That's... a tough sell.

Re: summer, I know... I almost didn't mention it at all for that reason. That said, I don't think it's any more useless than scouting AAU games if you just look for stuff that's translatable. For example, I've never been impressed with Lezzie, even when he's scoring 35 points... he's not that quick, he's not an explosive finisher, he's not physical, and he only has one speed, which means layups he can cruise in for in pickup games against UNC-G guys will turn into weak double-pumps against real defenders. Hairston carrying Sulaimon on his hip through a 1-2 dribble move and finishing with a floater or dunk in traffic, OTOH, is more impressive.

As for the other guys, I just don't think McDonald and Strickland have the potential to be top offensive options. McDonald for the reasons above, Strickland because he's 6'2 and can't shoot or pass. Bullock is the only other guy I could see leading them in scoring besides McAdoo, but like Ellington/Green, I think he's more fit to be a role player at every level. He can shoot, and his size/strength makes him a good rebounder, defender and finisher for his position. He can't do much off the dribble though, and I can't see him as a guy you run your offense through.

So, that leaves TJ, who certainly won't hesitate to take charge if no one stops him. I'm hoping he leads the team with an inefficient 15 PPG.

Did you get a chance to see their other freshmen?

Nah, just Tokoto. Who was, as expected, an absolutely terrifying athlete if he got within 10 feet of the rim and fairly useless otherwise. I almost wonder if they'll use him as a Danny Green style PF when he gets older and realizes he's not Tracy McGrady.

Cook had every peripheral stat in his favor over Thornton offensively last season, so that's not really an analogous situation. That's a matter of a guy just needing to understand defense is a part of basketball to please a coach who values team defense over all else. Hairston is a 30% shooter whose strongest attribute coming into college was allegedly being able to shoot. It's much different for him to be UNC's alpha over Bullock this season.

Regardless, if a guy who is capable of shooting 31% over a full season will be UNC's best player the following season, as Duke fans, I think we are going to be pleased with the rivalry this season.

Duke fans:
See a freshman UNC guard who shot 31% and a freshman UNC big man who shot 43%.
Pray for a series split when they're UNC's leading scorers as sophomores.

Hairston didn't play a lick of defense while Bullock legitimately hustled last year. "But hey Reggie im gonna get your shots". That just seems like bad chemistry waiting to happen.

Remember that year that UNC team that should have statistically finished about ~11-5 in the ACC finished 14-2 because of a few statistical fluke games with fluke comebacks that happened to fall into their favor more often than not an absurd amount of times? Followed by an elite eight run where instead of playing 'Cuse in the sweet 16 they ended up playing a double digit seed? Also coincided with the year that our point guard, the best basketball player in the world under 21, happen to miss 80% of the season.

That is my kind of fear this season. That a UNC squad that should statistically finish around 8-8 to 9-7 or whatever ends up with some kind of weird flukey 12-4 or 13-3 record because of nothing more than finishing on the far right side of the bell curve again.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Regardless, if a guy who is capable of shooting 31% over a full season will be UNC's best player the following season, as Duke fans, I think we are going to be pleased with the rivalry this season.

Duke fans:
See a freshman UNC guard who shot 31% and a freshman UNC big man who shot 43%.
Pray for a series split when they're UNC's leading scorers as sophomores.

I think it just goes back to being gunshy and thinking about that 2011 year they statistically probably finished in the 97th% percentile of expected outcomes based on their actual talent and experience that season.

1st team all-acc caliber players from UNC since Roy has been there:
Henson
Zeller
Barnes
Hansbrough
Lawson
May
Felton

That's it. Is Hairston, a guy who will probably have to at least split 15 minutes at the spot with McDonald, going to join that caliber of player listed above in his sophomore year with a freshmen scoring PG and zero post guys to command double teams? It just doesn't pass the eye test in my opinion.

Sophomore year Ed Davis, which I think is McAdoo's ceiling this year, put up 13 and 10 and didn't even get third team. Unless UNC finishes 1st somehow I just can't see any of their guys getting freakin' first team.

I saw PJ Hairston at the fair today. I think he has a face tattoo. Either that or it's a weird diamond shape acne scar.

Well this isn't a national title year or even a Final Four year for UNC, realistically, so there's nothing to lose from a Duke fan perspective with McAdoo breaking out just enough for an NBA team to take a chance on him in the top 10. Ideally, McAdoo breaks into the top 10 by showing occasional flashes of potential, Bullock and Hairston break into the 20-30 range to assure themselves a contract, UNC fails to win the ACC Tournament or make it past the Elite Eight, and we get a supershitty UNC team next season. That's all very much in play this season.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom