Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion Thread

BUMP for preemptive disappointment that Roy manages to avoid Wainstain report indictments despite the shitload of circumstantial evidence

Lol, NCAA won't care why these academic advisors specifically working for the Student Athlete support group all just randomly decided to send these athletes to these classes over years and years. They just did it at their own behest and with no direction from anyone, obviously

Based on some of the new stuff I read, that 05 banner should probably be coming down at the least. Doubt it will but won't be upset at all if it does.

Walden knew about the paper classes, he was responsible for oversight of team academics yet Roy never knew? I'm calling major BS.

ii. Coach Roy Williams

Williams, Holladay and Walden brought the same oversight process they had used in Kansas.
Walden focused on keeping up with the players’ classes and monitoring their eligibility. He provided
regular reports about academic progress to Holladay, who would counsel and/or discipline players
with academic issues. Holladay, in turn, reported to Williams on the general status of player
academics. On occasion, Williams would question a player about his studies or talk to the team
about the importance of academics. Beyond that, he largely delegated academic responsibilities to
Holladay and Walden.

As Williams, Holladay and Walden told us in their interviews, a large number of the team
that they inherited were majoring in AFAM. Five of the 15 members of the 2003–2004 team were
AFAM majors, and 10 of the 15 players on the 2005 team were AFAM majors. The three men were
uneasy about this situation. Coach Williams was uncomfortable with that clustering in AFAM
because it looked like the players were being steered into that major, and after a year or two on the
job he asked Holladay to make sure that basketball and ASPSA personnel were not steering players
to the AFAM Department.

Walden acknowledged knowing about irregular aspects of the paper classes, including that
Crowder was doing at least some of the paper grading. When asked whether he shared this
information with Coaches Holladay or Williams, he could not recall doing so. Both of the coaches
claim that they never learned from Walden or anyone else that there was a question about faculty
involvement in the classes or that Debby Crowder was doing the grading.

Walden will be Roy's H. R. Haldeman. He will fall on the sword for this

TrustInRoyAll-American
64066 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 1:26 PM

Re: Bullet points from today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
--- DoTheHansbroughDance wrote:

Brooke Pryor ‏@bepryor 13m13 minutes ago

Paper classes existed for 18 years (1993-2011), and affected 3,100 of 97,600 students enrolled. 47.6% of the 3,100 were student athletes

---------------------------------------------

woooohooo

the majority of students weren't athletes
Reply | Quote

Just summarize all this for me. I don't even have the patience to read the lengthy string of 140-character max tweets about it on my feed.

Is it

Roy - fine
UNC - fine
Duke - fucked

?

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Just summarize all this for me. I don't even have the patience to read the lengthy string of 140-character max tweets about it on my feed.

Is it

Roy - fine
UNC - fine
Duke - fucked

?

The report alleges that the secretary for the for the AFAM department, Crowder, for 18 years gave out high grades for the independent study paper classes (classes marked as real classes, but that didn't have an actual professor, with 50% athlete enrollment) "regardless of paper quality", and that multiple advisors for years in the athlete student tutoring program specifically steered these kids to these classes. And that there's no concrete evidence that Crowder did it at the behest of any athletic people, despite the football program's long running knowledge of it.

While the report really makes the football staff look bad, it only goes as far to claim that Walden, a roy underling, was aware of the AFAM steering/clustering for basketball players and class impropriety, and himself was actually steering kids towards these courses and registering the kids for them without their knowledge but supposedly never informed Roy on the matter.

Thus Roy gets to claim ignorance on the matter, and the bball team will probably scrape by while the football team gets hurt more. Essentially the entire thing is being pinned on this secretary who the report will claim is the mastermind for 18 years worth of academic fraud.

Also, Crowder is supposed to be the mastermind, but on multiple instances she specifically took suggestions FROM THE ATHLETE TUTORS on what their final grades should be, good god.

I feel like I am listening to the sacrifice of all unc athletics minus basketball.

Timeline as it relates to basketball:

Roy joins UNC in fall 2003, brings with him academic counselor/advisor for athletes Wayne Walden.

During his time as counselor to the team, Walden actively steers kids to these AFAM classes he knows are fraudulent, as well as actually registering some kids for the classes themselves WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION.

How on earth is that not enough evidence of a violation in the NCAA's eyes? That's Roy's right hand man doing this.

Football and Women's basketball is going to take a big fucking hit for this. WBB is screwed, it sounds like.

Not many universities that would sacrifice football to protect basketball.

Yes, it sounds like UNC is doing everything it can to sacrifice anything but its basketball program in order to save the basketball program. This seems kind of stupid. Doesn't UNC football in an average season rake in more profits than UNC basketball (probably not during the current terrible season)? Isn't this why Duke and Kansas were considered worthless institutions during conference realignment?

Recommendation: lifetime suspension for all ACC athletes named Crowder

I think their view is that football is already so tainted and all of the wins have already been stripped. They might as well preserve their crown jewel (even if it's not the most financially valuable) with the hope that the NCAA will go easy on a program that's already been punished. All of those coaches are gone anyway. I guess they could take away some scholarships and put in another bowl ban, but not sure that would sting all that much at this point. Also, they may need to fire Fedora and rebuild anyway for on-the-field reasons if they can't produce 7 wins with the talent they've been able to recruit, so sanctions would potentially only elongate an already occurring rebuilding process.

Cut and Scottie have the Coastal covered for the foreseeable future, so why not take the hit there?

"There's no way we're getting this moron prepped for a Q&A within a few hours. Let's give him until Friday."

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom