Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion Thread

We won the 1994 FB game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping for the death penalty in all UNC sports, and the sadness of all current innocent players that would go along with it, just so I don't have to see Brice Johnson dominate Duke this season.

A lot of IC claiming this as a UNC win... what the hell are they reading?

uncy12 said:

Basketball might eek out a "win" if the plausible deniability thing holds up despite the outrageous amounts of circumstantial evidence and inconsistent statements from Roy, but the Football program has been caught dead to rights. I mean FFS they were handing out posters to the players telling them to get their papers in at a certain date because that's the last date that Crowder would be doing the grading, in addition to the correspondence between the athletic tutors and Crowder WITH A LIST OF EACH PLAYER AND THE GRADES THEY NEEDED TO STAY ELIGIBLE

uncy12 said:

More than 3,100 students — nearly half of them athletes

It was less than half of the students involved who were athletes.

dkst0426 said:
uncy12 said:

That doesn't matter. First of all, athletes were enrolled in these courses well over proportion to the representation int he student body.

Two, it was ONLY for athletes that Crowder specifically consulted with tutors and advisers on what grades they actually needed to stay in school

DurhamSon said:
uncy12 said:

Basketball might eek out a "win" if the plausible deniability thing holds up despite the outrageous amounts of circumstantial evidence and inconsistent statements from Roy, but the Football program has been caught dead to rights. I mean FFS they were handing out posters to the players telling them to get their papers in at a certain date because that's the last date that Crowder would be doing the grading, in addition to the correspondence between the athletic tutors and Crowder WITH A LIST OF EACH PLAYER AND THE GRADES THEY NEEDED TO STAY ELIGIBLE
I mean there isn't nearly as much for basketball but there is still a link with Wayno. WW was Roy's guy for christ sake, and came over from Kansas with him. I find it damn near impossible to believe someone on that staff didn't know. Guess they were just more careful about it like you said so that plausible deniability could still be claimed. UNC sunk every sport in an attempt to save basketball. Wonder how that works out.

DurhamSon said:
dkst0426 said:
uncy12 said:

That doesn't matter. First of all, athletes were enrolled in these courses well over proportion to the representation int he student body.

Oh, I was being entirely facetious.

This, in my opinion, is what needs to happen to the athletics program:

mushroom-cloud.jpg

I hope (haven't looked at Twitter this afternoon yet) the defense of "the NCAA is flawed anyway, so any sanctions will be a joke" isn't used. The system is highly-flawed, but to me, that has more to do with benefits than academics, and academic fraud is the entirety of what this is all about.

Every banner since 1993 should come down. 18 years of cheating, the Carolina way. It would not surprise me in the least if it went back further than that.

Isn't this exactly the one good reason for the NCAA to exist - to cripple any school that tries to get away with decades of academic fraud or other complete lack of institutional control?

This is the NCAA's moment. They are getting killed by people like Bilas for profiting off students who aren't allowed to profit off themselves. They were killed for years for being so stuck in place by nothing but inertia that they couldn't come up with a simple playoff system for football. Everyone knows if the SEC splits off from the NCAA, the SEC would probably be better off. Destroying UNC for all these wrongs is the sole good reason for the NCAA to exist today.

Dirty Dan Kane deserves a damn Pulitzer. He's basically 100% responsible for uncovering all of this.

CK86 said:
Every banner since 1993 should come down. 18 years of cheating, the Carolina way. It would not surprise me in the least if it went back further than that.
20 national titles in 5 sports.

Jan Boxill was the Director for the Center of Ethics. "Discredited" would be putting it mildly - I'm guessing she's one of the ones dismissed already.

They have to self-impose hard on themselves now, surely. If there's any shred of a "Carolina way" that still exists, that's what needs to happen.

I never want to hear IC mention a word about Kentucky again.

Posted the same on TDD:

I still don't see how Roy knowing or not knowing should have much affect on the punishment of UNC basketball. The basketball team's academic advisor knew. And most importantly, the players cheated with the help of someone on the basketball staff. Guys like Calipari claim to have had no knowledge of Camby or Rose's wrongdoing, but they still lost their Final Fours. Pete Carroll claims he knew nothing of any cheating with Reggie Bush, but USC still had its title stripped.

I don't see why there has to be proof that Roy knew for the NCAA to come down on basketball. UNC admitted their athletes were committing academic fraud with the help of university employees in order to maintain NCAA eligibility. That should be enough to bring down the banners.

Isn't the worst offense to the NCAA a lack of institutional control? Doesn't that make Roy's knowledge irrelevant, other than to mitigate his personal punishment? If the head coach of the program doesn't know all these pervasive violations are happening within his own program, isn't that just as much of a strike against the program as if he knew and ignored it? This seems like a classic case of complete lack of institutional control that warrants something close to the death penalty for football and basketball.

NCAA is now reviewing 2005 team transcripts.

I think all it's going to take is one or more player(s) who would have been academically ineligible for that semester if not for the paper classes, and the banner comes down due to public pressure.

Roy "not knowing" would keep Roy from getting fired, so he's safe there. Don't think it matters in terms of strict liability, i.e whether the banner comes down by rules due to a player who should not have been on that team from a GPA perspective and was only kept afloat by the fraud courses in which Walden was steering them too.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom