Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion Thread

A guy like that would normally be a walk on at UNC...

ETA, he is going to walk on in 2015.

Looks like he needs to walk on to an eyebrow waxer

Guess we'll never find out the truth about how he was able to afford that house.

I think this team is a legitimate threat to win it all. Probably the 4th or 5th most likely team to do so. Will probably get to play the first two rounds of the NCAAT in North Carolina as well.

But could this be Roy's last shot at a title (or his last shot a first title maybe)? If the NCAA came down with a two year post-season ban, for example, they're going to whiff in 2015 and 2016 and (unless they get a UK like class the following year), would probably not be really competitive again until the end of the decade. Roy would be gone by then if there are sanctions. A post-season ban next year would be huge, because if they returned their key guys, this is probably next year's preseason #1.

I think Roy will get everyone to stick around because that's what he does, the NCAA will take until 2025 to penalize UNC because that's what they do, and UNC will be the favorites to win the national title next season because UNC either is complete shit or is favored to win the national title each season.

PG Marcus Paige (sr), Joel Berry (so), Stilman White (rs jr)
SG Theo Pinson (so), Nate Britt (jr)
SF Justin Jackson (so), JP Tokoto (sr), Brandon Ingram (fr)
PF Brice Johnson (sr), Isaiah Hicks (jr), Luke Maye (fr)
C Kennedy Meeks (jr), Joel James (sr)

Not bad.

In my mind to contend, at the very least, you have to be elite offensively or defensively. Obviously both is better, but I don't think you can contend if you are merely above-average to good at both.

Every champion the last ten years has been top ten in offense and/or defense on pomeroy. Only exception is UCONN 2011 which was 13 on defense (18 offense to make up for it) in that fluke run.

Don't think they are even close to top ten on offense, and not sold on their defense without McAdoo (yeah I know the flawed d-rtg stats but there must have been a real reason he was playing cause it sure wasn't offense).

We just see them more than teams like Florida, MSU, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc.

I mean, how many other teams that didn't finish in the top 25 last year do you consider top 5?

Paige is very good offensively. Brice and Meeks are both good offensively and will be getting McAdoo's touches. By all accounts Jackson is good offensively, and he should replace McDonald's sorry production as well as take some usage away from terrible Tokoto. It remains to be seen if Hicks will be any better playing the PF. He was terrible at the SF. I don't know about elite, but I think UNC should be pretty good offensively this season. And they probably will keep everyone, so yes, I could see them being elite next season.

If UNC does end up with an elite team with a core of Paige, Johnson and Meeks, then I will give major credit to Roy for his PG and big man scouting and development.

Those were three garbage recruits no one really wanted (in the context of being a spoiled blueblood fan, at least). RSCI 30, 40, 54. The lowest three RSCI's on our entire recruited team were 30, 32 and 50 (MJones, Ojeleye, Plumlee).

Their shooting though...

As for Johnson and Meeks, it will be interesting to see if their production and efficiency changes with much higher usage numbers than before. Sometimes that pans out, sometimes it doesn't. Obviously Paige is elite but I won't concede that description to Johnson, let alone Meeks, at this point in time. I think the media did the same thing with McAdoo after his run in the end of his freshman year.

Johnson and Meeks were both within a couple percentage points of McAdoo's usage. They just didn't play nearly as many minutes. Meeks' fat ass (yes, I know he has lost a lot of weight) might not be able to play a lot more minutes, and Johnson was hindered by foul trouble. But the more minutes those guys play instead of Hubert and James (not to mention completely replacing McAdoo), UNC's offense should improve.

Who knows what to expect from their shooting? I expect Paige will be good while Britt and Tokoto suck. But I have no idea what to expect from Jackson, Pinson, and Berry. Pinson and Berry don't have good shooting reps, and I think Jackson was known as more of a 2-pt guy. So you could be right there.

Justin Jackson is known to be an elite midrange jumper guy. This could hurt UNC in the long run since it will encourage Roy to continue running the worst, most Byron Scott-esque offense possible, but it will certainly make their offense better than it would be without him if Roy will be telling his players to take a lot of midrange jumpers regardless of who they are.

I feel bad for Jackson and Pinson, because their range is supposedly midrange and in, and under Roy, they're not going to improve their range. Before Battier and Spoelstra told Bosh 3s are good last season, Bosh never tried to extend his range by 1-2 feet. After he did, he became a lot more valuable. Jackson and Pinson may cost themselves millions and NBA careers by playing for Roy.

Looks like in the exhibition games UNC shot 8-18 and 3-12 from deep, so 36.7% against very weak competition. For comparison Duke shot 15-32 and 7-25. So Duke shot a better percentage on almost twice as many attempts. But that's not surprising because Roy doesn't understand modern basketball offenses.

UNC from deep in their two exhibition games:
Paige 3-8
Jackson 3-4 (will really suck if he can shoot well)
Pinson 2-6
Britt 1-4
Berry 1-6
Stilman 1-1
Tokoto 0-1

Bored at work and looking at 3-pt shooting numbers. UNC has only shot above 34% for a season once since their last championship team. One season above 33.6% in the last five seasons. In the last 10 seasons, Duke has only had one team (2009) shoot under 37.1% for the season.

Think this season depends a lot on Justin Jackson tbh. Tokoto, Hicks, Meeks, Pinson are all role players on this team. UNC knows what they have with Paige. It's really up to Brice, and Jackson as to how good this team can be.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom