Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2018-2019

I think I fall somewhere in the middle here. Cole Anthony seems like the perfect OAD, and UNC will have solid talent relative to most teams, like they always do. I think Brooks, Black, and Bacot will all be role-player-starter-on-a-title-contender good, and given that Roy isn't a shitty coach, that plus Kyrie #2 should be a good team.

However, unless they add another difference-maker or transfer, that's not very much high-end talent after Anthony. Probably one player on the roster who's likely to have any significant NBA career, maybe two if Bacot pans out, and I think those are the only two guys they'll have who were top 30 recruits - and even so, they're looking at a scenario where two of their best three players are very likely freshmen, which is unfamiliar territory during Roy's recent run. They're also only returning one guy who scored >3.5ppg last year. When you really think about it, does their roster look that much better than Trae Young's 10-seed Oklahoma team?

Precious Achiuwa is the wild card, to me. I think he's a player, and if they somehow snag him, I'll be worried. He seems like the dynamic missing piece between a perfect PG, a couple old-school Roy bigs, and a few one-dimensional shooters.

I’m excited about next year’s team with the addition of Keeling. Still feel like we are lacking a 3/4 hybrid but I think this is probably a top 15 team which is better than I how felt last week.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle here. Cole Anthony seems like the perfect OAD, and UNC will have solid talent relative to most teams, like they always do. I think Brooks, Black, and Bacot will all be role-player-starter-on-a-title-contender good, and given that Roy isn't a shitty coach, that plus Kyrie #2 should be a good team.

However, unless they add another difference-maker or transfer, that's not very much high-end talent after Anthony. Probably one player on the roster who's likely to have any significant NBA career, maybe two if Bacot pans out, and I think those are the only two guys they'll have who were top 30 recruits - and even so, they're looking at a scenario where two of their best three players are very likely freshmen, which is unfamiliar territory during Roy's recent run. They're also only returning one guy who scored >3.5ppg last year. When you really think about it, does their roster look that much better than Trae Young's 10-seed Oklahoma team?

Precious Achiuwa is the wild card, to me. I think he's a player, and if they somehow snag him, I'll be worried. He seems like the dynamic missing piece between a perfect PG, a couple old-school Roy bigs, and a few one-dimensional shooters.

Yeah I'm concerned about Precious. I keep reading/hearing he's very likely going to Memphis... what are you guys hearing?

Yeah I'm concerned about Precious. I keep reading/hearing he's very likely going to Memphis... what are you guys hearing?

The same, according to the people who are usually in the know on 247.

I don’t see Precious coming to UNC and frankly I don’t think Precious fits at UNC. 2020 has the potential to be a monster recruiting year for UNC. Interestingly enough Cam Johnson has a brother who plays like him and is about to shoot up the rankings.

I was so confident that this was the year that UNC was finally going to suck. They’re going to have the best freshman in the country(or top 3), a sharp shooter, and some solid athlete and depth. Not a true contender but a top 8-12 team all year. Sickening.

I don’t see Precious coming to UNC and frankly I don’t think Precious fits at UNC. 2020 has the potential to be a monster recruiting year for UNC. Interestingly enough Cam Johnson has a brother who plays like him and is about to shoot up the rankings.

Who are you guys on in that class, and can you provide some intel on each them?

The Precious to UNC rumors seem to have come from one UNC insider who was adamant. Everyone else is saying Memphis. I have no idea of that insider's credibility, but they all seem to have a pretty bad track record. I'd trust Evan Daniels here, I think.

Who are you guys on in that class, and can you provide some intel on each them?

UNC already has a commitment from a 6'10 4-star center ranked #34 in the class, which is a big deal considering UNC's system and how Roy develops bigs.

It appears they are leading for 6'7 wing Ziaire Williams, ranked #9 in 2020. The schools most involved with him are UNC, Stanford, Arizona, and Oregon which means he's almost definitely going to UNC. He unofficially visited UNC in October and he lives in California. This looks like a UNC lock.

UNC has also a lead on the CB (2 picks) for 5-star SG Jaden Springer from IMG. He's ranked #12 in 2020. This seems much less sure than the guy above. He already has an offer from Kentucky, Georgia, Kansas, and Tennessee, and he unofficially visited Tennessee in January.

Isiah Todd is a 5-star PF ranked #13. I think initially UNC was believed to have a good shot here, but Kentucky has overtaken them in the Crystal Ball.

One thing (and this is very important to note, IMO) is that UNC is currently running their program with back to back one and done point guards. Roy's best teams have come when he had multi-year PG's who flourished in his system (Felton, Lawson, Berry) and while Marshall wasn't your prototypical UNC PG, he was very high IQ and learned to run it.

Unless UNC picks up an ELITE level PG in 2020, I don't think it matters a ton even if they bring all of those guys. Anthony Harris the #74th ranked player more known for his defense than offense, and is coming off of an ACL injury, I doubt will be able to be a proficient enough PG to lead UNC the way Roy will ask.

Hope for something like their 2014 team, which finished 29 on Kenpom and got a 6-seed. Young talented roster with a few old bad players sprinkled in. Would turn out to be the core of a back to back title game team, but not much of a worry this time, as their key piece is gone after this season.

^^Yeah, CA being 100% OAD is huge. Rotation at pg is by far the most damaging aspect of the OAD treadmill, and obviously has been the most problematic area we've had in the past four years. This is where the surprising upside of C. White and delinquency of J. Felton really hurts Roy. CA keeps the bleeding limited this year, but for every Anthony/Tyus Jones lurks numerous Duvals and Thorntons (the bad one). 2020 doesn't look like much of a pg class, and UNC doesn't appear to be in on the better ones. A solid team with Anthony Harris at pg seems unlikely to work for Roy.

According to 247, UNC is recruiting one PG in 2020, Jeremy Roach, who seems like a battle between Kentucky and Villanova. I'm sure this will change, but they're behind the ball on PG recruiting in 2020.

Yeah, I like the 2020 class, but with Hampton likely in 2019 you don't have a ton of great options left. There's Suggs at 10, who's listed as a combo guard. Nix is at 14, and Roach is at 17.

For our sake, hopefully Tre stays another year. I can see his college career just sort of snowballing into a four-year one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the 2020 class but with Hampton likely in 2019, you don't have a ton of great options left. There's Suggs at 10, who's listed as a combo guard. Nix is at 14, and Roach is at 17.

For our sake, hopefully Tre stays another year. I can see his college career just sort of snowballing into a four-year one.

Assuming he stays, Boogie Ellis could potentially be a decent point guard option. At least he would be capable of handling PG minutes, more so than either Grayson Allen or Matt Jones did. Sophomore Ellis with a senior Goldwire getting back-up minutes isn't horrible.

Especially not if we've got as much wing depth as I think we'll have. At that point, you'd almost want to slide Ellis to the 1 just to free up minutes.

Ellis, Moore, Boston, Johnson, Kessler looks pretty good. Really nice size, spacing, and ball handling. AOC and Baker would also be a senior and junior respectively if they stick it out.

I was so confident that this was the year that UNC was finally going to suck. They’re going to have the best freshman in the country(or top 3), a sharp shooter, and some solid athlete and depth. Not a true contender but a top 8-12 team all year. Sickening.

Don't ever think that.

I remember saying on here somewhere that it was way too early to speculate about things for next year because of the grad transfer market and the way it impacts things. Someone replied that it wouldn't have much of an impact nationally or on UNC. Alas, they landed Keeling, who it looks like will be a solid addition for them (a guy I used to coach with is now an assistant at Charleston Southern and raves about the kid, unfortunately; he says they were crushed when he decided to leave).

While we're on the topic of the grad transfer and UNC's holier than thou fans touting their wholesome program for not recruiting OADs - the fuck is the difference between them basically accepting a grad transfer a year vs. a OAD freshman? Sorta flies in the face of their logic, no?

Looks like they may add another grad transfer, G/F Justin Pierce.

Bad numbers last year at William & Mary- 106 ORating, 52.5% eFG, 33% 3PT%, 58% FT.

But much better the prior year- 117 ORating, 60.6% eFG, 41% 3PT%, 78% FT

Very good defensive rebounder.

If the junior version of him is what they're getting, we'd want that. If it's the soph version, probably solidifies them as solid 3 seed quality, possibly a 2.

How are they getting all these players of average height who are somehow great defensive rebounders? Keeling averaged six defensive rebounds a game as well. Put those guys in Roy's system, where everyone is a great rebounder, and they have value just in that regard.

Looks like he’s going to announce for UNC tomorrow. Gives them some nice depth- I assume he would come off the bench.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom