Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2023-2024

What is this UNC team's destiny?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UNC's NIL game is a lot better than ours though. They are getting Paolo/Lively level $$$ for players who won't sniff the league like Bacot and it shows. Eight/Nine figure net-worth Duke alums with how rich they are seem to be some combination of indifferent/lazy in comparison. Rachel whatever isn't doing her job, unless it's really as pointless as working out meager $100,000 deals for Flip to make instagram posts about some local food truck company

Is it? Bacot has gotten a lot deals but has anyone else?

Who else have they had since this started two years ago that was worth paying though? At least among their returnees. Bacot is basically it; he would have left after 2021 if not for NIL money.

Meanwhile we can't find a nickel for players who are willing to take their chances in the 2nd round

Our NIL rollout has been disappointing. I initially was pretty excited about it because I thought it'd keep our borderline 1st/2nd rounders here but if Flip leaves, despite being one of college ball's most recognized returning players, then....

Last edited:
As long as he doesn’t shoot 3s, he is better than nothing at best, and possibly harmful. These non-NBA-talent garbage man bigs just don’t matter.

Basically like a defensive tackle in football in an age where stopping the run is way less important than stopping the pass. You have to have someone, and you get a slight bonus if it's someone excellent, but you're gonna need a whole lot more.

I would say if he was an elite rim-protecting center than you're talking about a game-changing big between that and rebounding. But that's not in his arsenal.

UNC's NIL game is a lot better than ours though. They are getting Paolo/Lively level $$$ for players who won't sniff the league like Bacot and it shows. Eight/Nine figure net-worth Duke alums with how rich they are seem to be some combination of indifferent/lazy in comparison. Rachel whatever isn't doing her job, unless it's really as pointless as working out meager $100,000 deals for Flip to make instagram posts about some local food truck company

Who else have they had since this started two years ago that was worth paying though? At least among their returnees. Bacot is basically it; he would have left after 2021 if not for NIL money.

Meanwhile we can't find a nickel for players who are willing to take their chances in the 2nd round

Yeah he was already a three year starter when NIL started and his personality makes him extremely marketable. I don't know how many of their other guys are making enough to stay because of NIL tho. Clearly the rest of their roster isn't making real money. So far they've gotten one transfer in since NIL started, but he is the son of an NBA player and the brother of an NBA player. Nobody has yet to choose them based on money. We'll see what happens this spring.

Even Bacot understands how sad this is.

he correctly understands that his only real monetary value as a basketball player is being a wrestling heel and general troll behavior.

Why be worked up about it? We all knew he would return last year, and we all knew he would return this year. He has nowhere to go.
The point is neither do our guys. But we can't retain them for some reason.

Because we've become the school of choice for people who wants to be OAD, regardless of whether they are actually OAD talent. Scheyer has to change that perception and culture, in a way Kentucky has fallen into the same trap, and is struggling for the same reason. This is why I don't think OAD is sustainable long term for any program. It always works better in the beginning when you still have veterans from your non OAD days mixed in with your new OAD talent. Once those players are all out of your program, the only people you return are players who no chance at being a pro. Any player who has a remotely decent season is gone.

In a way the new CBA might do it for him, remember back in the 00's, toward the end you'd have 30-40 HS players declare for the draft with many taken in the 2nd rd and some not picked at all. If all those players with unreal expectations about their talent end up not going to college at all, you might end up with players who are actually more realistic about their pro chances on your roster.

Why be worked up about it? We all knew he would return last year, and we all knew he would return this year. He has nowhere to go.
The point is neither do our guys. But we can't retain them for some reason.
I would guess the problem is at least twofold.

1) It’s a cultural thing at Duke. The guys who come to Duke are expecting to leave sooner because that’s what guys at Duke before them did. At least it seems like Scheyer gets this, so hopefully we’ll see some changes here.

2) No insider info here, but apparently Duke’s NIL game sucks. I would fire the NIL woman they got from Nike or wherever if Duke doesn’t convince Proctor and Mitchell to return.

Well, there are NIL's that are actually based on a player's marketing value, and there are NIL's where it's just a bag of money to play for StateU.

I suspect Duke is trying to stick to just the former, and the former is hard. I mean, a guy like Zion is probably legitimately worth millions, but Mark Mitchell is not going to generate a ton of sales for your business.

It does seem clear that a bunch of schools are just blatantly funneling money directly to players for nothing, which isn't really allowed. So I'm not too concerned about the short term costs of Duke waiting to figure out the "right way" to do this instead of getting blasted in the inevitable crackdown. It does seem like the person we hired to figure this out should be figuring it out right about now, though...

What is he getting deals for, funeral homes?

I wonder how much a given Duke or UNC star is getting for the "legitimate" deals where they tweet a picture of a sandwich or whatever. What is that actually worth to a local business? I can't imagine more than a few hundred bucks, unless the owner is a big fan and it's just a wink-wink way for them to funnel money to the player.

No surprise here. UNC brings back their two best players and is likely to lose their most destructive player. This alone probably makes them a good bet to return to the tournament but with a lack of impact returning bench guys or freshmen coming in (plus Leaky's departure), they're going to need a few transfers to be appreciably better than they were last year.

I wonder how much a given Duke or UNC star is getting for the "legitimate" deals where they tweet a picture of a sandwich or whatever. What is that actually worth to a local business? I can't imagine more than a few hundred bucks, unless the owner is a big fan and it's just a wink-wink way for them to funnel money to the player.
Well, a lot of those businesses are franchises. So I would imagine it's more than that because they're not endorsing one location. They're endorsing a chain. I'm just speaking of the ones I can think of. Wendell Moore had Bojangles, Trevor Keels had Outback Steakhouse, Kyle Filipowski has Bonchon.

My guess would be a few thousand? Same thing you might pay any minor celebrity for appearing in a commercial.

It does seem clear that a bunch of schools are just blatantly funneling money directly to players for nothing, which isn't really allowed. So I'm not too concerned about the short term costs of Duke waiting to figure out the "right way" to do this instead of getting blasted in the inevitable crackdown. It does seem like the person we hired to figure this out should be figuring it out right about now, though...
Well, the survey @DurhamSon was talking about at least indicates that they're aware of the problem and are trying to find ways to form a "collective." I.e. - it indicates that we're willing to tread a bit into the shadier, but still legal, areas. Which I'm totally on board with.

I think rule changes are coming, but I'm not sure a crackdown is coming because all these schools are operating within loopholes. I don't think the NCAA has any way to punish them. Best they can do is narrow the scope of what counts as NIL and how it's determined.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom