Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weather Thread

ZackM said:
Just had an earthquake!!

Earthquakes are not a weather event, they are a seismological event. Maybe you should make a Seismology thread?

Anyway, wrong thread and, Zack, you really should know better.

physicsfactor said:
Earthquake in Michigan?

Yep.

4.2 magnitude. Epicenter was about 2 miles from my house.

Glad you are ok. I was sweating heavy just thinking about the terror you must've endured.

In a severe thunderstorm warning right now with a warning that says golf ball size hail is possible - lovely.

Random question that I feel compelled to ask with the current forecast: if a power line snaps and lies across your driveway, and you are forced to leave your house to seek warmth/shelter elsewhere because of the cold, is it safe to drive over the cable?

I would think so if you're inside the car since the rubber tires should protect you but that could easily be wrong

dkst0426 said:
Random question that I feel compelled to ask with the current forecast: if a power line snaps and lies across your driveway, and you are forced to leave your house to seek warmth/shelter elsewhere because of the cold, is it safe to drive over the cable?

You need to call your energy company's emergency line. Is it complete across you driveway? Or only partially with an exposed end?

ZackM said:
dkst0426 said:

You need to call your energy company's emergency line. Is it complete across you driveway? Or only partially with an exposed end?
Oh, nothing is down right now. I was just thinking about the potential ice buildup that's being called for tomorrow and the wind gusts that are in the forecast for Saturday. The combination is kinda worrisome, and I was just looking around as I was walking the dog last night. The cable is in fact completely across my driveway. Definitely would have to drive over it if it ever came down - I would definitely not take any chances if there was an exposed end with the other end still connected to the transformer, which my line runs almost directly from since the transformer is on the pole in my front yard.

It took me 4 hours to get home last night. Thank you, VDOT, for not treating the roads.

Also, a guy in a BMW sped by me up a hill and spun his tires so fast that they popped, and then he just kept going. It was amazing. Fuck that guy.

Latest projection is pushing the ice line towards Charlotte, calling for .75" ice. Triad forecast is more snow than ice now. W-S/Forsyth might get up to a foot. This side of the Triad will be lucky to see 6".

I was living there during the ice storm of 2002. That was freaking mayhem with .9"........

Latest Bahama projection is 7-14". Roxboro, whose weather we match the most is 12-20". My boss is picking me up at 7:15 because screening colonoscopies are considered essential by DUHS ($$$). Every other clinic at Duke except for a couple are closed. Fuck DUHS.

I just parked my car at the top of the driveway and put a tarp on it. That's my best chance of getting to Charlotte Sunday.

deepdarkblue said:
If all goes well, our game Saturday will get cancelled.

That is truly the only thing that matters.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom